36 replies to this topic

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Parker, playing at the level he did last season (which was an anomaly for him), over the course of a season, is still likely better than Tarek or any other option we have currently. If that is his floor and we know what his ceiling is, I bet on him returning to prior form (because he is only 27 and would not expect significant decline yet) because that gives us the best chance of fielding the best possible iteration of our team.

Agree on the long term outlook, but starting him after last night's performance is quite literally rewarding bad play.

He's not a game changing player who gets to play himself into shape in competitive games, so he needs to prove he's back in training and off the bench unless forced into action (presumably like last night, hopefully with a different outcome).

Also not sure Tarek is necessarily worse, haven't seen anything terrible from him in his time here.

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, NYK, NYM, NYR, NYJ
Was hoping he would be a long term guy for us...one of those fringe USMNT quality guys not quite good enough for Europe, so you get a bunch of years out of him. He was on target after that first year.

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

Agree on the long term outlook, but starting him after last night's performance is quite literally rewarding bad play.

He's not a game changing player who gets to play himself into shape in competitive games, so he needs to prove he's back in training and off the bench unless forced into action (presumably like last night, hopefully with a different outcome).

Also not sure Tarek is necessarily worse, haven't seen anything terrible from him in his time here.

I wasnt advocating that he start no matter what, in terms of fitness (I realize the one sentence I wrote may have been misleading). If he needs more time to get match fit and catch up in training, then fine. Roll with Tarek. Once Parker gets deemed fit, then I would insert him back into the starting lineup, whether that be a week from now (unlikely) or a month from now. I dont view that as rewarding bad play, I view that as betting on the guy you view as your best CB not named Long and not reading too much into a small 7 minute sample. Thats all Im saying.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid
Yeah, think we essentially agree. Don't think he should or does get benched forever based on yesterday, but I wouldn't rush to start him over Tarek any time soon either.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

He wasnt good last year, got beaten out in practice by Tarek it seems, then performed terribly yesterday while Tarek was good.

How does Armas deal with this, publicly & privately?
Any public expressions of frustration or disappointment?
Drop him from the next gameday roster?
He had the 4th highest base salary last year @ $738K,
$250K more than Luis Robles.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

RB-NJ

RB-NJ

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

I think publicly, just like Armas has. "We need to rotate, lots of games in a short period". I think privately Parker just needs to know he isn't playing up to his contract, isn't playing his way into the starting XI and you keep giving him small opportunities to prove himself and build confidence. I don't blame Armas for throwing him out there with 7 minutes left.  738k CB having to lock down for only 7 minutes, this should be easy. But he fumbled it bad. Still, I use him as a sub against Cbus but I don't start him until he looks like the Parker of old.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Tim Parker also only signed a 3 year deal for his extension so he has 18 months left on the contract.  If he wants to avoid a contract year he should know what he needs to do.  Knowing this club if he isnt in good form we wouldnt blink dumping him. 

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
Tarek's play looks very similar to Long. That backline looked solid

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, NYK, NYM, NYR, NYJ
Does the drop off have anything to do with Marsch vs Armas? Not pinning the blame on Chris, just wondering if hes asking something different of Parker specifically, or his CBs more generally, and its just not clicking. Honestly, Im not a savvy enough fan to pick up on something like that unless it was completely obvious, but I figured Id throw it out in case someone else has seen something.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Does the drop off have anything to do with Marsch vs Armas? Not pinning the blame on Chris, just wondering if hes asking something different of Parker specifically, or his CBs more generally, and its just not clicking. Honestly, Im not a savvy enough fan to pick up on something like that unless it was completely obvious, but I figured Id throw it out in case someone else has seen something.

Wouldnt be surprising. Also, not having Tyler play in from of him probably also hurts.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Does the drop off have anything to do with Marsch vs Armas?

OF COURSE!

Marsch actually had a plan. He needed an enforcer in the backline to see out that plan and he got it in Parker. That was one of the final pieces this team needed.

Lets be honest about Parker. He has very specific traits that when used...specifically....can really help a team. But hes not a good soccer player and he isnt getting any better.

As evidenced by last year and by his limited time this year he still cant handle or move the ball properly. He struggles at time with his positioning. And he keeps getting beat on the same damn cross time and time again. Those two parts are unforgivable because if hes not good on the ball he better be a lockdown defender in the air and in terms of his positioning.

Bigger picture though is that Parker is not the problem. Management and ownership is the problem. Marsch got Parker (And a host of other players) to work here. Im not saying the Marschs of the world are a dime a dozen but there ARE coaches out there who are better than Armas. There are guys out there who can obviously do Hamletts job much better. And there are owners out there who spend more.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

OF COURSE!

Marsch actually had a plan. He needed an enforcer in the backline to see out that plan and he got it in Parker. That was one of the final pieces this team needed.

Lets be honest about Parker. He has very specific traits that when used...specifically....can really help a team. But hes not a good soccer player and he isnt getting any better.

As evidenced by last year and by his limited time this year he still cant handle or move the ball properly. He struggles at time with his positioning. And he keeps getting beat on the same damn cross time and time again. Those two parts are unforgivable because if hes not good on the ball he better be a lockdown defender in the air and in terms of his positioning.

Bigger picture though is that Parker is not the problem. Management and ownership is the problem. Marsch got Parker (And a host of other players) to work here. Im not saying the Marschs of the world are a dime a dozen but there ARE coaches out there who are better than Armas. There are guys out there who can obviously do Hamletts job much better. And there are owners out there who spend more.

Its hard for a coach to impose their style for the team without being able to bring in players that fit that style better.  Armas screwed up some, but theres a chance he is still or will become a good coach.  but Denis and Kevin need to get players that fit the system he wants to play more, by having players that can do more on the ball.  Some players get worse and some better with new coaches.  Last year a lot of guys dropped off but so far it looks like several players are back to their best.  And the 4-2-2-2 now that its run better does make it harder for opposing teams to lock in on Kaku like we've seen in the past with Kaku and Sacha in the 10 role in playoffs games especially. 

If Armas got fired I wouldnt have opposed it, but all i am saying is i know Denis sucks at his job, I am not sure Armas does.  

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Its hard for a coach to impose their style for the team without being able to bring in players that fit that style better.  Armas screwed up some, but theres a chance he is still or will become a good coach.  but Denis and Kevin need to get players that fit the system he wants to play more, by having players that can do more on the ball.  Some players get worse and some better with new coaches.  Last year a lot of guys dropped off but so far it looks like several players are back to their best.  And the 4-2-2-2 now that its run better does make it harder for opposing teams to lock in on Kaku like we've seen in the past with Kaku and Sacha in the 10 role in playoffs games especially. 

If Armas got fired I wouldnt have opposed it, but all i am saying is i know Denis sucks at his job, I am not sure Armas does.  

The points total, stats and eye test were way too shitty for me to have any faith in Armas. The loss of Adams and BWP was terrible but Casseres is a good player and we still had goal production.

Its a no for me.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Both Hamlett and Armas are part of the Marsch coaching tree, shame that they aren't more like him. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

I put little to no stock in anything that happens during this incredibly strange tournament.  I do not think it is useful to judge how players react in circumstances that are completely different than those normally faced by a professional soccer player. Parker was quite bad last game, but I do not think it is particularly useful information in how he will perform when some semblance of normality is restored. 

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users