• Please log in to reply
318 replies to this topic

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Hard to call it a money grab when STH's get their tix free, and we are probably paying Arsenal a fortune to come here for a single game.  And yes, every MLS team who can, does.

Wasn't completely sure but this is the way I understood it.  I always figured we lose money on these types of games.  We have to pay a big fee for the team to come in, and we give away a bunch of tickets (some of the best ones) away for free.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

I dunno, the Arena opener vs Santos was pretty packed with Brazilians. Although they werent specific to Santos. I saw people wearing Corintians, Flamengo, etc cheering for Santos. I was like WTF? Shouldnt you cheering for anyone BUT Santos? If I was abroad and DC United came to play the local club no way am I rooting for DC just cause theyre American. Some people...

Maybe they were rooting against Santos.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Rooney22

Rooney22

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,999 posts
  • Supports:The Mighty Fucking Metro

They were probably there for Neymar not Santos.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Wasn't completely sure but this is the way I understood it.  I always figured we lose money on these types of games.  We have to pay a big fee for the team to come in, and we give away a bunch of tickets (some of the best ones) away for free.

The idea is the give your fans a bonus and to show the staduim atmosphere to potential new fans...  and, occassionaly, the show some class for your beloved team captain.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

RedBullsFC

RedBullsFC

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts
  • Supports:club: NYRB/////country: USA

I dunno, the Arena opener vs Santos was pretty packed with Brazilians. Although they werent specific to Santos. I saw people wearing Corintians, Flamengo, etc cheering for Santos. I was like WTF? Shouldnt you cheering for anyone BUT Santos? If I was abroad and DC United came to play the local club no way am I rooting for DC just cause theyre American. Some people...

Your right I havnt seen the Stadium as full as when Santos was here. I remember thinking wow this is awesome , they should be able to fill this stadium every home game with soccer fans ...... :blink:

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Your right I havnt seen the Stadium as full as when Santos was here. I remember thinking wow this is awesome , they should be able to fill this stadium every home game with soccer fans ...... :blink:

As some Ironbound friends have repeatedly told me, they will never understand how we can expect to put a quality product on the field, worth paying to see, without a number of young Brazilian/Portuguese players on the roster.  

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO
From a strictly $$$ perspective the fact that arsenal has not played in the states in 25 years and this being the only game in the states (according to the mf article) I love this. Should be able to pay for half my season ticket with this game.

From every other aspect, I would much rather focus on MLA, CCL USOC in the heat if summer.

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

vflkirwan

vflkirwan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts
  • Supports:Metro/VfL Wolfsburg und die US Boys

They are trying to make $$ too here.

You want tickets to this tough event?  Well, Season Ticket Holders get a free ticket to it  AND pre sale opportunities so why don't you buy season tickets if you want to be guaranteed a ticket to this game before the sale to the general public.

Trumanaldo

Trumanaldo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
  • Supports:MetroBulls, Liverpool, NFFC, COBRA

All of you fools here are blind to the REAL truth as to why this game was booked...

THEY'VE COME FOR OUR EMIRATES CUP!!!!!

I'd rather die than live in a world where I can't kick your ass.

"Seattle fans talking trash on Justin TV but I have absolutely zero soccer knowledge to counter with" - Philadelphia Union Fan.

http://redbullrant.wordpress.com

metros11

metros11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,906 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

A friendly in July that will get more press and exposure than the more valuable regular season matches.... Meh.

"What better way for DC United fans to drown their sorrows than with this new beer called 'The Tradition'.  A relic name of a bygone era where DCU was relevant." - VfLKirwan

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

But you can sell them on the secondary market and pay for your season tickets. I give the Austrian overlords credit for rewarding STH's with this.

Let's Go Buffalo!!!

pooperscooper

pooperscooper

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USA, Arsenal

so totally in for this!

RedBullsFC

RedBullsFC

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts
  • Supports:club: NYRB/////country: USA

All of you fools here are blind to the REAL truth as to why this game was booked...

THEY'VE COME FOR OUR EMIRATES CUP  !!!!!

REVENGE !!!!!!

Haig

Haig

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • Supports:Bora Bora Metro
As long as we don't rest our best players for competitive games so they can play in this friendly, I think this is a solid idea. We need all the help we can get in boosting our profile ahead of the arrival of that expansion team.

But knowing how badly this organization manages priorities, I'm concerned that this friendly is going to come with a competitive cost.
╔╦╗┌─┐┌┬┐┬─┐┌─┐  ╔═╗┌─┐┬─┐┌─┐┬  ┬┌─┐┬─┐
║║║├┤  │ ├┬┘│ │  ╠╣ │ │├┬┘├┤ └┐┌┘├┤ ├┬┘
╩ ╩└─┘ ┴ ┴└─└─┘  ╚  └─┘┴└─└─┘ └┘ └─┘┴└─

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts
  • Interests:Metro. That's it.
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro
Hopefully our DP3 signing will be in the house.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users