123 replies to this topic

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,750 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Count me as unsurprised that a 30+ Collin coming off a contract season hasn't been able to contribute in a meaningful way thus far.

Contracts make you more injury prone? 30-32 are usually still prime years for CBs.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,045 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Long and Collin has started 4 MLS games together, 6 games in all competitions. A tad premature to rank them high...

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Koko

Koko

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

I just contend big time that the biggest issue with this team is in the front 4 and the ability to score in a tight game.  Hell, the ability to create a meaningful chance in a tight game is an issue, let alone scoring..

If MLS Cup is the goal then there are a few things in play here. The obvious (and possibly easiest) way to improve this team are to sign a stud CB with the ability to distribute and sign the major impact winger that Veron was supposed to be.

However, one of the more difficult issues is that the team isn't playing fast and/or decisive enough. They are too preoccupied with meaningless possesssion and joga bonito to take advantage of situations where...okay look, 1 touching the ball 3-4 times in a row or going for the homerun pass aren't the statistically best options but THEY ARE OPTIONS NO TEAM IN MLS IS EXPECTING US TO TAKE RIGHT NOW.

The book is out on our team: Give them all the meaningless possession they want cause they won't play fast and loose, they won't shoot from outside the 18, and the defense isn't good enough to stop 2-3 strong counters a game. That's all on Marsch

Finally...the team is soft. That's either on the players or Marsch...or both. And that's the most difficult fix of them all.

Koko

Koko

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Contracts make you more injury prone? 30-32 are usually still prime years for CBs.

I never expect ANY pro player coming off a contract year to replicate their previous form. The manner in which they fail to live up to said form doesn't interest me.

Also, the only 30+ guys I would even consider paying a fat contract to are "legend" status guys. Collin is NOT that.

And I disagree about CBs not losing form after 30. The drop off might not be as severe as guys further up the pitch but it is still there. Once you hit 30 your body starts fighting you. Only the truly gifted and strong of mind can shrug off the pro career grim reaper for a few more years. Do guys like Matt Besler really look as good today as they were a couple years ago? Not really. And he's one of the best we've had in MLS.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users