#31 Russ99

Russ99

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Supports:Fire, TSV 1860 München

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:06 AM

I really don't see everyone ditching their current video hardware and getting a HD player anytime soon.

That said, Sony's banking on the PS3 giving them enough of a installed base to give Blu-Ray a significant advantage, especially with the non-videophile/home theater crowd.

This whole PS3 press price outrage is way overblown too, since an X-Box 360 costs $300/400, the HD addon (not for games) costs $250 and a online gaming subscription is $100 a year (which sony is givng to their users for free) in comparison for a fully-loaded PS3 for $600. And that's the launch price, the price tends to go down with the streamlining of the manufacturing process.

I'll pick up a PS3 sometime next year when the price drops a bit and there's a wide array of software available. I learned my lesson with the PSP - never will I buy a system near the launch date. By then there should be quite a few Blu-Ray movies available too.

#32 BenBurton

BenBurton

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,904 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:54 PM

I was also curious to know if the 4% speed-up in PAL format annoys you? I only own a few PAL DVDs because of this. Just foreign films that haven't seen an NTSC release yet. I know that if I watch a movie that I've seen before in NTSC, the vocal pitch and timing difference will bug me (not to mention alter the director's original vision). 17 minutes less of Seven Samurai because of PAL speed-up? No way!

The PAL thing hasn't bothered me...yet. But I tend to only have PAL versions of movies that don't exist in NTSC so I can't compare. Maybe that's why I don't notice? In theory I like PAL more because the video quality is slightly better and it's 25FPS, almost exactly the same as film.

Digital artifacts annoy the crap out of me, and for some reason my eye tends to pick them up easily.

#33 projectmayhem

projectmayhem

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Bears

Posted 01 September 2006 - 08:38 PM

I really don't see everyone ditching their current video hardware and getting a HD player anytime soon.

That said, Sony's banking on the PS3 giving them enough of a installed base to give Blu-Ray a significant advantage, especially with the non-videophile/home theater crowd.

This whole PS3 press price outrage is way overblown too, since an X-Box 360 costs $300/400, the HD addon (not for games) costs $250 and a online gaming subscription is $100 a year (which sony is givng to their users for free) in comparison for a fully-loaded PS3 for $600. And that's the launch price, the price tends to go down with the streamlining of the manufacturing process.

I'll pick up a PS3 sometime next year when the price drops a bit and there's a wide array of software available. I learned my lesson with the PSP - never will I buy a system near the launch date. By then there should be quite a few Blu-Ray movies available too.

I agree on the video hardware...not on the PS3

1. Xbox Live is only $50 a year - not $100. A kit that includes the headset, a $20 off coupon for a game, 200 points for buying things in the Marketplace (yes I know this is to lead people to buy more points), and a free download of Bankshot Billiards (good game) is only $60.

2. Sony has talked about competing with XBox Live for years and has never stepped up to the plate. I don't expect to see them do it now...especially for free. You're going to end up paying somehow; either by having a broken half-ass interface or paying prices per month for each game. No thanks.

3. As I stated in a previous post, I don't want my game system to play movies so why should I shell out an extra $200 for a Blu-ray DVD player out of the box? Again...no thanks.

4. I will still be trying to get a PS3 on Day 1. Why? Because by 1:30 AM it will be posted on eBay so some spineless parent can line my pockets with their cash to stay the Christmas tears of their greedy bastard children :D

Also, before someone accuses me of Microsoft or Xbox bias, here's a list of the systems I've owned and enjoyed over the years:

Pong - OK, maybe I didn't actually enjoy this.
Atari 2600 - I think I played Pac-Man for 8 hours straight the day my Dad brought this system home.
Colecovision - Glorious keypad controllers!
Sega Genesis - I tricked my Mom into buying this by showing her the game Clue...then counted down the days to Mortal Kombat.
Sega CD :)+
Sony PlayStation - I still remember standing in front of Babbage's staring at Battle Arena Toshinden. Also, for everyone who thought 360's first wave was unacceptably glitchy, they obviously never had to turn the PS upside-down to make the discs work (that was if the system didn't totally overheat).
Nintendo 64 - Goldeneye 007! Prox mines in the Facility = cheap but deadly.
Nintendo Gameboy Color
Sega Dreamcast - Great system with too short of a life.
Sony PlayStation 2 - Owned this system for several years. It's record speaks for itself.
Microsoft Xbox - I ripped on this system until I played Halo...then I bought one the next day. Also home to the best version of one of the best games of all time: Splinter Cell - Pandora Tomorrow multi-player.
Nintendo Gamecube - Fun but forgettable.
Microsoft Xbox 360 - Amazing online experience. GRAW, Oblivion, COD...enough said.
Nintendo DS - Kept me entertained on the Dallas roadtrip while driving through the wasteland that is Oklahoma.

I really hope the PS3 succeeds. More competition means better games for all systems. I just think that $600 for a system is waaay too much. Plus I think it comes down to the types of games you like to play. For me it's FPS, adventure games, and online multi-player...that means Xbox. If it was roleplaying, driving, or sports it would probably mean Sony.

#34 Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 12:32 AM

Nice list... :D
I started out with a used original Atari and Intelli-Vision.
Well, and my mom's CRT had a few text based games...odd to think that I could log onto a defense company's network any time I wanted to...although, I suppose I wasn't much of a risk, since the vast stacks of programming were nothing more to me than a foot-rest at the time...ahh, how times have changed though, eh?
And long gone are the days of walking to the mall to shoplift games for the old C64... ;)

#35 projectmayhem

projectmayhem

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 05:30 AM

And long gone are the days of walking to the mall to shoplift games for the old C64... ;)

I had an Apple IIc but I had a friend who owned the C64 with a disc drive that was seriously about 18 inches long. It took forever to load games. I think he also had games on cassette tape, LOL.

#36 creativedestruction

creativedestruction

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,283 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire

Posted 02 September 2006 - 12:43 PM

I think he also had games on cassette tape, LOL.

I remember that.

#37 Sandinista

Sandinista

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 01:27 PM

Posted Image

fuck you all, this shit rules.

this thread cracks me up because i don't even know anyone who has an hd-tv...

#38 projectmayhem

projectmayhem

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 05:49 AM

Posted Image

fuck you all, this shit rules.

this thread cracks me up because i don't even know anyone who has an hd-tv...

Yeah, the Wii is going to kick ass. Nintendo knows what it's doing: no fancy BS, no DVD playback, inovative control scheme, fun games (at least they look fun and they have a track record on their side), $250 price tag.
Plus the ability to download ANY game from past Nintendo systems, Sega systems, and TurboGrafix16 is amazing. The first week I have this I'll probably spend more time playing Goldeneye 007 and Mike Tyson's Punch Out then anything.

I actually know quite a few ppl who have HD TVs but that's probably because a lot of my friends are technology geeks like me. I think as the prices continue to drop more ppl will take the plunge and buy one.

#39 WolfmanHasNards!

WolfmanHasNards!

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:14 AM

I actually know quite a few ppl who have HD TVs but that's probably because a lot of my friends are technology geeks like me. I think as the prices continue to drop more ppl will take the plunge and buy one.

Won't people be forced to buy one within the next few years?

#40 Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 04:21 PM

Well, I wouldn't say "forced" to buy one...any more than people were "forced" to buy color TVs...

#41 drgnsFIRE

drgnsFIRE

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 05:51 PM

Yes, eventually, HD won't even be advertised anymore, because all tv's and programming will include/be in HD...but not until a year or so until the next big breakthrough in entertainment technology comes onto the market...therefore creating another demand and reason for more products to support said tech.

#42 projectmayhem

projectmayhem

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 10:21 PM

The NEW re-re-re-release.

And the price is incredible.

Just received this today and it's amazing! The transfer is beautiful...the best I've ever seen. Comes with a cool book, 2 documentaries on the making of the film, and great packaging as icing on the cake. Criterion continues to impress.

In case anyone missed it and/or cares, Gojira (the original and longer Japanese cut of Godzilla) was released on DVD this week. It's a two disc set that also includes the edited US version with Raymond Burr spliced in. I saw the Japanese version at the Music Box two years ago and while the SE are still cheesy; it's a better movie than the US verison.

#43 WolfmanHasNards!

WolfmanHasNards!

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 10:28 AM

Has anyone purchased one of these machines yet? Is anyone buying these machines? Thus far I have heard nothing. A guy I know who works at Best Buy is telling customers to wait for the format war to end. Not good for business but at least he's honest. Share your Blu-Ray/HD stories if you have any.

#44 Sandinista

Sandinista

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 06:42 PM

i played the wii at my friend's place earlier this week and yeah, it's pretty damn awesome...

does anybody have the numbers on what % of people in this country have hd-tv's vs. standard def?

#45 chuck5345

chuck5345

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 01:30 AM

Has anyone purchased one of these machines yet? Is anyone buying these machines? Thus far I have heard nothing. A guy I know who works at Best Buy is telling customers to wait for the format war to end. Not good for business but at least he's honest. Share your Blu-Ray/HD stories if you have any.

I've seen blu-ray movies, I wasn't impressed enough to go spend the money on either a blu-ray or HD-DVD drive. For me, the free HD content comcast gives me through the cable box is enough.

but, that being said, here's instructions for a very cost-effective ($200 :D )HD-DVD player for those who use windows:
http://uneasysilence...e/2006/11/8303/

:cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users