Why can't we just buy a team like LAFC & Atlanta?!

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Walter Tymczyna

Walter Tymczyna

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Cars, Beagles, etc...
  • Supports:Red Bulls

Seriously, this money ball, home grown, train em young philosophy is crap. It doesn't matter if we don't win MLS championships. What's worse is that any player that excels, gets sold or sent to the Red Bull mothership. How can this organization expect us fans to back up what is essentially a farm team!? 

--- Red Bulls & NY Jets will win a championship after my lifetime so kill me now. ---

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Seriously, this money ball, home grown, train em young philosophy is crap. It doesn't matter if we don't win MLS championships. What's worse is that any player that excels, gets sold or sent to the Red Bull mothership. How can this organization expect us fans to back up what is essentially a farm team!? 

Every team in this league is a selling team. And I like watching the academy kids come all the way up through the system to the first team.

That being said youve gotta have balance and take care of all the other shit. Theyve totally fucked that part up.

Promote the guys if theyre truly ready. Not cause youre too lazy and cheap to sign a player. Also, maybe dont poach our manager in the middle of a winning season. This isnt rocket science.

jamison

jamison

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York

Not all foreign signings work out, so I think you have a better chance at success with an academy that grows kids, a team that has consistency in roster & philosophy year after year, and then uses the $$ to add those extra players that you can't grow or acquire locally (guys like Kaku). So, I think the philosophy can work if you spend enough for those handful of extra guys, we're just not doing that part.

If you think about there being 3 things to win each year (MLS Cup, SS, USOC), we have won 3 of the last 18, after going 0 for 52 to that point. So, saying that the strategy doesn't work at all isn't correct, but we are still 0 for 24 in MLS Cups or whatever. 

For years we bitched about not having consistency and turning over 50% of the roster every off-season. We also bitched about not having an academy or playing our kids. I'm glad we fixed steps 1 & 2, but you are correct that the goal for our individual team is to win championships here, not to sell players to the mothership team in Leipzig, and to do that we have to be buying guys like Kaku, Valeri, Piatti, etc. to complement the team that we have developed. Selling a Tyler Adams or Aaron Long to Europe every off-season isn't sufficient reason for this franchise to exists, and if feels even worse when our return shipments from overseas are like Matthias Jorgensen and a 7 game run of Josh Sims. 

So, I'm fine with the academy & philosophy, I just think they need an owner who is actually invested in our success enough to spend the money here for us to win. Except we don't have that. And it doesn't look like we'll be getting it any time soon. 

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT

Because those owners want to win, most owners in this league do not care about wining.

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah
Ownership.... They don't press the other owners on letting them get high profile additions because they simply don't want to make those types of investments like Atlanta and LAFC and Sounders and Toronto and Montreal have made... Those owners are spearheaded by individuals that have emotional attachment to wanting their club win...

The Red Bull GmbH want to just have no names because they want their brand to get the attention. They just are happy with not being at the bottom. If they could win with no names that's best for them. Keeps wages and overhead down and doesn't steal the spot light from their philosophy of "energy and excitement and wings" and all the other bs they want to project onto their drink...

But in this era of the sport, that's not going to win shit

I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

How many times has that actually happened?  And what team in MLS has been able to hold on to a guy like Adams?   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

Ownership.... They don't press the other owners on letting them get high profile additions because they simply don't want to make those types of investments like Atlanta and LAFC and Sounders and Toronto and Montreal have made... Those owners are spearheaded by individuals that have emotional attachment to wanting their club win...

The Red Bull GmbH want to just have no names because they want their brand to get the attention. They just are happy with not being at the bottom. If they could win with no names that's best for them. Keeps wages and overhead down and doesn't steal the spot light from their philosophy of "energy and excitement and wings" and all the other bs they want to project onto their drink...

yeah but why would they invest in the academy then?  

Just get players from other USL teams.  no threat of relegation

That being said there choice to not spend on a high level winger for the last 5 years likely cause us a miss few final appearances if not cups.  

Also, the lack of aggressiveness in signing young talent like ATL and LAFC is also disappointing.  LAFC are stacked and able to add Bryan Rodriguez (who looked great last night) is depressing.  

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Walter Tymczyna

Walter Tymczyna

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Cars, Beagles, etc...
  • Supports:Red Bulls

Bingo - next question is, how hard is it to sell season tickets with this in mind?!

--- Red Bulls & NY Jets will win a championship after my lifetime so kill me now. ---

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

Bingo - next question is, how hard is it to sell season tickets with this in mind?!

about 10 tarps worth?

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

So, I'm fine with the academy & philosophy, I just think they need an owner who is actually invested in our success enough to spend the money here for us to win. Except we don't have that. And it doesn't look like we'll be getting it any time soon. 

It's great that we are getting the first two, but the team is alarmingly short on the expenditures. In a haves and have nots league, we are fast becoming a have not.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

I'm beginning to ponder what was worse for this club: "selling" Tyler Adams to RBL, or losing Marsch to RBL/RBS. I'm starting to lean toward the loss of Marsch.

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

I'm beginning to ponder what was worse for this club: "selling" Tyler Adams to RBL, or losing Marsch to RBL/RBS. I'm starting to lean toward the loss of Marsch.

I am a big Marsch fan and we undoubtedly have suffered from him departing, but I do think it's hard to say how much better we would be with him and I think losing Adams is a bigger blow. Armas is dealing with a club that sold Adams, brought in no outside replacement, and has a banged up/diminished BWP versus what Marsch was managing. The integration of CCJ and White has helped negate those partially, but we clearly aren't operating from the same level that Marsch had. 

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

I am a big Marsch fan and we undoubtedly have suffered from him departing, but I do think it's hard to say how much better we would be with him and I think losing Adams is a bigger blow. Armas is dealing with a club that sold Adams, brought in no outside replacement, and has a banged up/diminished BWP versus what Marsch was managing. The integration of CCJ and White has helped negate those partially, but we clearly aren't operating from the same level that Marsch had. 

Good points, but even without Adams we are a team that should be sitting in first in the Eastern Conference right now. If you look at all of the dropped points the past two months that can be attributed to poor tactical decisions on the part of Armas, and mental mistakes and negative attitude (Murillo supposedly), we should be in first; I think with Marsch we actually earn those points.  I'm amazed we're still sitting in fourth, but that just shows how the majority of teams in the East are dropping points too.

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

Good points, but even without Adams we are a team that should be sitting in first in the Eastern Conference right now. If you look at all of the dropped points the past two months that can be attributed to poor tactical decisions on the part of Armas, and mental mistakes and negative attitude (Murillo supposedly), we should be in first; I think with Marsch we actually earn those points.  I'm amazed we're still sitting in fourth, but that just shows how the majority of teams in the East are dropping points too.

I think a similar narrative also took place with this club in 2017, with Marsch at the helm. This team is on pace to post a very similar point total, goal differential, and place in the table as the 2017 club, with the same general attitude surrounding it. I do not think the problem with this club is as simple as the coach. 

Stefan Schuette

Stefan Schuette

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Supports:New York

We should take pride in the fact that our players go on to bigger things. Ralf Rangnick's new position at Red Bull is specifically to improve the youth development of New York (and Brazil), and to be honest, most of our MLS clubs aren't doing much for the American player other than fill their bench's with them. I'm a fan of the US national team as well as Metro. 2 birds, one stone.

Jesse Marsch is more an exception than the rule I'm sure, and the fact that an American coach who never played in Europe is now coaching a Champions League team, and one that is having best start to the Austrian league season of any Austrian team in history, is also something I'm proud of, and also something that will work out well for the NT in the future.

What we haven't seen yet, which hopefully will happen, is that our alumni will start coming back after their time in Europe is done to provide mentor-ship for the younger players. Maybe Tim Ream will come back, Tyler Adams and Matt Miazga down the line. It's how it's done in Brazil and Argentina, and I see nothing wrong with that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users