82 replies to this topic

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Discrediting things like BLM is a way for people to convince themselves and the people around them that theyre not racist while still providing an outlet for their racist views. They may not even be aware that they are doing it.

Regurgitating the old Anybody Who Comments Contrary To My Ideas Is A Racist/Fascist trope.
Perhaps you are not even aware you are doing it.

Rather than discuss solutions to racism theyre initial instinct is to discredit it.

More accurately, your initial instinct is to declare persona non grata anyone who comments contrary to your mindset.

It should to be called out.

Ought not to be.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Regurgitating the old Anybody Who Comments Contrary To My Ideas Is A Racist/Fascist trope.
Perhaps you are not even aware you are doing it.
More accurately, your initial instinct is to declare persona non grata anyone who comments contrary to your mindset.
Ought not to be.

Racism should be called out and we should work harder to heal that wound.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

Racism should be called out and we should work harder to heal that wound.

Good for you!

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
Looks like RB USA has fired top execs over this:
https://www.wsj.com/...ons-11594819809

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

So, you managed to get out of bed this morning.

That's more than could be said for Breonna Taylor. But sorry you have to hear about that for a couple of minutes before a bunch of people kick a ball around for your entertainment. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

The issue is, the arguments youve made here are ones used often by racists/fascists. Sure, those arguments dont have to be made by racists/fascists, but when a person agrees with racists/fascists on any subject, it is easy for others to mistake that person as a racist/fascist.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

That's more than could be said for Breonna Taylor. But sorry you have to hear about that for a couple of minutes before a bunch of people kick a ball around for your entertainment. 

What happened to her was awful.
There are thousands of killings in this country annually.
A kid who grew up down the street from me was shot & killed in his NJIT housing by 2 YBM home invaders. Can you name him? Was there a moment for him at RBA? It was 2 miles away.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

The issue is, the arguments youve made here are ones used often by racists/fascists. Sure, those arguments dont have to be made by racists/fascists, but when a person agrees with racists/fascists on any subject, it is easy for others to mistake that person as a racist/fascist.

So, if you agree with BLM positions, are you a marxist?
Or easily mistaken for one? Or, as marxists themselves would say, a useful idiot?

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

So, if you agree with BLM positions...

If you disagree with some of their positions then what do you believe would be a better way to address the problem of race?

You are an intelligent person and that is a much more interesting and productive conversation IMO.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

So, if you agree with BLM positions, you are a Marxist?
Or mistaken for one? Or, as Marxists would say, a useful idiot?

Ive definitely been called a Marxist before. I accept that some of my stances align with Marxist viewpoints. Just like people like you, need to accept that some, at least one, of your views align with racist views.

I couldnt tell you the name of NJIT student, but hes been discussed multiple times at my home as my daughter visited a friend on the NJIT campus often last year.

I dont think youll find a person that doesnt agree his death is horrible and is the type of violence that needs to end. On the other hand, there are people that see the deaths of Floyd and Taylor as unfortunate accidents rather than avoidable incidents.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

A kid who grew up down the street from me was shot & killed in his NJIT housing by 2 YBM home invaders. Can you name him? Was there a moment for him at RBA? It was 2 miles away.

The home invaders were sentenced and are currently in prison. There didn't need to be massive national protests for them to be charged and prosecuted.

So, a false equivalence.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

If those 2 home invaders were identified, do you think the DA would hesitate to prosecute in the same way Breonna Taylor's killers are? That's the difference you don't seem to get. People aren't merely protesting because police killed people. They're protesting because the killers are very often not held accountable. 

Grand Juries typically indict about 98-percent of the time. Yet in cases where police officers are accused of illegally shooting someone, they're almost NEVER indicted. 

https://fivethirtyei...-darren-wilson/

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

what do you believe would be a better way to address the problem of race?

How do Asians address it? Latinos? West Indians?
Or every ethnic group that came here?
In a parallel way, how did Jews address anti-semitism?

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

Ive definitely been called a Marxist before. I accept that some of my stances align with Marxist viewpoints. Just like people like you, need to accept that some, at least one, of your views align with racist views.

I do not agree that my views align with racist views.
I know that racists sometimes co-opt some views that I agree with, for their own purposes.

I couldnt tell you the name of NJIT student, but hes been discussed multiple times at my home as my daughter visited a friend on the NJIT campus often last year.

That is good to know. I do not know what, if anything, occurred after the standard candlelight vigil.
BTW, his name was Joseph Micalizzi.

I dont think youll find a person that doesnt agree his death is horrible and is the type of violence that needs to end.

The problem is, no one is actually willing to do anything to accomplish that.

On the other hand, there are people that see the deaths of Floyd and Taylor as unfortunate accidents rather than avoidable incidents.

I think that most people find them both unfortunate and avoidable.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

The home invaders were sentenced and are currently in prison.

The prosecution took almost 3 years. No outcry.
They pled to lesser changes, got lenient deals.
One will be out 6 years from now, the other 16.
No outcry about that either.

There didn't need to be massive national protests for them to be charged and prosecuted.

There did not have to be, in any of the other cases.

So, a false equivalence.

Your opinion. I disagree.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users