ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Parker and Kaku in 2018.

Came back to see if being 2nd in the East, in the semifinal of the Open Cup, and signing the projected Newcomer of the Year as a DP would mean that this place had chilled the fuck out and, nope, it seems like we're moving the goalposts and picking new random shit to be miserable about.  :rolleyes:

We've been good in the regular season and seemingly one player away a few times in recent years, tends to end up the exact same way every year. Are you happy and confident with Klimala as the main striker and Barlow as the 1A alternative?

P.s. good to see you back

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

My experience as a sports fan has largely been, if anything, fans getting way overconfident. Nets fans basically celebrated a dynasty before they won a playoff series. The Rangers, Mets, and Yankees have everyone pumped right now. TFC supporters are spamming social media with pride about Italian players who haven't even arrived yet rescuing their sinking ship.

I see and hear more complaining than praising.

If this FO hates success, they're doing a really shitty job of avoiding it so far this season.

There has been no success yet.
The FO KNOWS what needs to be done to improve the team to the point of actually winning, but has not.
So, some would say they are doing a shitty job.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU
Meanwhile, the Revs get Vrioni

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

I am TOO EXCITED for the big surprise signing they are announcing tomorrow...

We are doing great and Struber system does not need a Martinez /Castellano level striker but someone who can put in 10 (-15) goals a year would be fantastic.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

njdevils3027

njdevils3027

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

We've been good in the regular season and seemingly one player away a few times in recent years, tends to end up the exact same way every year. Are you happy and confident with Klimala as the main striker and Barlow as the 1A alternative?

P.s. good to see you back

This. We are finally back to the state where the original (warranted) complaints are valid again. We have a really good squad that is one piece away. Just like 2018. Just like in most of the Henry seasons. Go get it.

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull

Parker and Kaku in 2018.

Came back to see if being 2nd in the East, in the semifinal of the Open Cup, and signing the projected Newcomer of the Year as a DP would mean that this place had chilled the fuck out and, nope, it seems like we're moving the goalposts and picking new random shit to be miserable about.  :rolleyes:

The goalposts were never moved

The goal is ALWAYS MLS Cup

Just because we are now in FG range rather than on our own 20 does not mean we dont need the additional one or two pieces. Just like all the other shield years where everyone knew we needed one more attacking piece and didnt get it.

Well see if this year is any different.

RBFO does not get the benefit of the doubt.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

This. We are finally back to the state where the original (warranted) complaints are valid again. We have a really good squad that is one piece away. Just like 2018. Just like in most of the Henry seasons. Go get it.

I think we're further away in 2022 than we were in 2018.  In 2018, we were probably a winger away.  This season, just looking at the Starting XI, we could use a RWB (so Morgan stays as an attacking mid) and a striker.  But you are right, we are close, but need to add this window.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

The goalposts were never moved

The goal is ALWAYS MLS Cup

Just because we are now in FG range rather than on our own 20 does not mean we dont need the additional one or two pieces. Just like all the other shield years where everyone knew we needed one more attacking piece and didnt get it.

Well see if this year is any different.

RBFO does not get the benefit of the doubt.

LMAO go read the posts on this board from January-April. So many said that we overpaid for an Inter Miami guy, that Luquinhas couldn't score and could not be a game changer, that we'd be fighting for 7th place, that Nashville is doing things the right way, etc. Then when we started winning it was, "oh we're getting lucky. We're not going to continue scoring. TFC and San Jose suck so those results don't really tell us anything."

Can't even even do the bare minimum and admit that maybe everyone overreacted and maybe Thelwell had a decent plan all along.

njdevils3027

njdevils3027

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

LMAO go read the posts on this board from January-April. So many said that we overpaid for an Inter Miami guy, that Luquinhas couldn't score and could not be a game changer, that we'd be fighting for 7th place, that Nashville is doing things the right way, etc. Then when we started winning it was, "oh we're getting lucky. We're not going to continue scoring. TFC and San Jose suck so those results don't really tell us anything."

Can't even even do the bare minimum and admit that maybe everyone overreacted and maybe Thelwell had a decent plan all along.

You're straw-manning by picking the absolute worst of the reactions. Were there morons saying "who the F is this?" with regards to Luquinhas and "what an overpay" for Morgan? Of course. Doesn't mean that we aren't still at least on piece away from being true contenders. It's high time for the FO and ownership to signal to the fans that MLS Cup is the priority by bringing in a striker to complement the strong squad that has been assembled. 

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts

I don't think Thelwell had a decent plan. He fucked up big time with Klimala, and Yearwood is borderline at best. Monzon is a huge waste. Fletcher is garbage. Luquinhas and Morgan have been fantastic acqusitions, however.

Credit has to go to Struber, first and foremost.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
Unfortunately there is a segment that worships Thelwell like he isnt some ordinary Sporting Director/Head of Sport. He gets the luxury of not being Denis Hamlett. The other issue is that even the soccer knowledgeable parts of our fanbase, especially on Twitter arent in tune to the rest of the league.

The way I see it is Struber is a magnificent Coach getting more out of the talent at his disposal, than his team being uber talented.

Dylan Nealis barely played for Nashville last season, featuring regularly because of injury/lack of options with RBNY. His brother Seans development can be largely attributed to Struber.

For a guy with no limited knowledge of the league, Thelwells better moves were picking up Reyes and Morgan from Miami, and trading for Amaya. Struber brought Coronel with him.

The international signings have been 75% strikeouts. Monzon, Fletcher, Tetteh, Klimala, Yearwood (on the fringe)

Luquinhas has been great, and Edwards who is on loan has been a big part of the success.

Bjorn The Bear

Bjorn The Bear

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Supports:RBNY - Nets - USMNT

I am TOO EXCITED for the big surprise signing they are announcing tomorrow...

We are doing great and Struber system does not need a Martinez /Castellano level striker but someone who can put in 10 (-15) goals a year would be fantastic.

where did you hear this?

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts

Any plan that left us with the starting rotation of Klimala and Barlow is a shitty plan.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

The international signings have been 75% strikeouts. Monzon, Fletcher, Tetteh, Klimala, Yearwood (on the fringe).

Are we sure Monzon is bad?  We really hadn't needed him and he looked ok in his brief stint.  It took Reyes a minute to get playing time and he ended up being good after he got it.  Klimala is obviously bad.  Tetteh & Fletcher weren't hits, but they were only loans Thelwell took a flyer on.  I'd say Thelwell's tenure was much like Yearwood's so far - a mixed bag, good, but far from great.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

Are we sure Monzon is bad?  We really hadn't needed him and he looked ok in his brief stint.  It took Reyes a minute to get playing time and he ended up being good after he got it.  Klimala is obviously bad.  Tetteh & Fletcher weren't hits, but they were only loans Thelwell took a flyer on.  I'd say Thelwell's tenure was much like Yearwood's so far - a mixed bag, good, but far from great.

Even when Monzon was healthy he wasnt playing. Dylan Nealis has played more minutes at CB than Monzon in over a year with the team. For a u22 signing thats a huge miss.

2/3 u22 signings are providing very little outside of paper depth (Yearwood, Monzon). The other, Reyes, is good when he is on the field.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users