20 replies to this topic

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre
The schedule will be balanced when MLS expands to 40 teams and creates MLS 1 & 2 with pro/rel.

I'd bet my student loan debt that this will happen in due time.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO

The schedule will be balanced when MLS expands to 40 teams and creates MLS 1 & 2 with pro/rel.

I'll take that bet any day.

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics

I believe that there'll be an MLS1 and MLS2, with pro/rel in between.

Also, I believe that USL will have 3 divs. with MLS reserve sides involved still. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

I believe that there'll be an MLS1 and MLS2, with pro/rel in between.

Also, I believe that USL will have 3 divs. with MLS reserve sides involved still. 

I think that will happen eventually, but it will be a hard sell in the near future...'what do you mean my team might be in the 2nd division in a couple of years?  I just paid a $200 million franchise fee!'

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts

The league will sell it to owners and fans as adding a league ON TOP of MLS, to reward the higher performing teams with more elite competition. The verbal gymnastics to prevent owners from feeling like their expansion fee cocaine was wasted. "It will be a new league, with the premier teams from MLS..." And in proper American soccer insecurity will call it MLS Premier Liga.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

What does pro/rel between an MLS1 and MLS2 accomplish? I fail to see how it's meaningful in any way. It would still be a closed system...it would just be like the AFC/NFC in football or the American and National Leauges in baseball. In my opinion it would only be meaningful if it led to a true pro/rel up and down the entire pyramid. Until a USL Championship team can be promoted up to either an MLS2 or MLS1, closed movement between two 'MLS' leagues seems pointless. I don't think we'll see true pro/rel in the next 20 years. Just my opinions.

blank25

blank25

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Supports:red bulls

I like the idea of pro/rel in general. It does motivate team owners, mgr. players and fans to do their best to stay in top league. In order for this to be acceptable more USL teams must have better stadiums, TV rights and fans. Also the league should be involved with sports betting like they have in England with the EPL as well as what NBCSN sport predictor does for those teams in America. Betting on NFL generates a lot of fan interest. This being said I think this will come to pass in 10 years time.

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

Quantify "due time" pls

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

on target........ for 2040

Also pro/rel today is a non starter as the league cannot support based on current support levels.  Sad to say but true.  When terrible college football teams like RU draw 10K a game support levels not there.  There are many people out there who are massive soccer fans but do not watch MLS - it is easy easy easy now to fully follow EPL/Bundesliga et al every week. 

maybe a APL (Americas Premier League) with MLS and Liga MX.  

or Pro/Rel when /if league expands to 40 

the $$$ may be already addressed as no one has seen the full contract new owners sign with the league.  It may be a rider in the contract.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts

I don't think we'll see true pro/rel in the next 20 years. 

What I've described is not true pro/rel, but we are a long way from that. I don't see a unified pyramid happening in my lifetime, but 40 teams in MLS 1 & 2 by ~2030 (or something combined with Liga MX but we have to do better against them in cup play).

If there are new owners ready to pay $200+ mil to join, MLS will find a way to bring them in. This is also why people half-jokingly call MLS a Ponzi scheme.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

Agree that this is the only way it will go down. MLS1 / MLS2. Once that has been established, they will buy out USL or any other lower leagues. This is gonna be a long term process though. At least 20-30 years away.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

If there are new owners ready to pay $200+ mil to join, MLS will find a way to bring them in. This is also why people half-jokingly call MLS a Ponzi scheme.

I am not joking at all.
I would love to know what percentage Garber gets, as bonus or commission, out of each expansion fee.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Ecuador

Agree that this is the only way it will go down. MLS1 / MLS2. Once that has been established, they will buy out USL or any other lower leagues. This is gonna be a long term process though. At least 20-30 years away.

I thought USL was already a part of MLS no?
RIP NASL?

LONG LIVE METRO

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics

USL-C will serve as an incubator, as it sorta does now, for future MLS2 teams. USL-C teams will plop down the $$ to get in to MLS2. That's my take in how it goes down. 

or it goes down in an even crazier fashion where there's a semi-merger involving MLS LMX and CPL. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
40 teams. Either east/west split and keep MLS Cup, or go pro/rel w 20 teams each.

Only 2 logical ways to go w this. Place your bets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users