1063 replies to this topic

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

I don’t think this feels like anything in the last 5 years. We rarely dictate play at all and under Marsch we almost always did. And Marsch had a roster that was constantly turning over. He was just able to develop guys and constantly back fill. Now it feels like none of the guys we have improve.

i miss those jesse losses where we would dominant play but just fall short compared to this season.  Clunkers away happen sometimes but even at home we get rocked more this season for my liking.  We had a good stretch in May where it looked like we were figuring it out again but we are regressing again.  

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
Whole project feels like an afterthought to be honest. RBG were engaged when Jesse was here because he was the prodigal son waiting to move on to bigger and better things. He was given the resources and carte blanche to do as he pleased. Trading Dax, trading Sacha, trading Felipe, getting Curtis fired, assumingly was very involved in getting Kaku here. Developed a system of play that fell in line with RBGs requirements and got results with it, not MLS Cup, but 2 SS and an actual identity.

Since he left Armas has scaled back that identity, in small increments last season after he took over, and now to a wholesale effect where we dont resemble a RBG team anymore. Watching that match last night and even against CHI, I couldnt even tell you if there is a coherent and consistent tactical plan. I realize the players we are missing, but even at full strength this team struggled mightily early in the season.

I dont see Chris being as involved with player acquisition, or even pushing Denis (who seems to be in over his head as Sporting Director without Jesse) to bring in the improvements that are needed for this squad. Its possible and likely that RBG isnt providing the resources, but shelling out $2 mill for a long term project in Jørgensen may be contributing to that apprehension. Look at the players signed since last summer and there isnt a single major contributor to the 1st team and still no true #6 on the roster to attempt to replace Tyler Adams.

Just so many questions about how this has all transpired since Jesse has left. Zero transparency underneath this umbrella. Ragnick is supposed to be providing oversight now, so I guess well see if we continue to be an afterthought for RBG. Id assume if we see changes they wont be until after the season ends, as much as Id like to see some action from this organization ASAP I dont see anything salvaging this season.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona
Man I'm not a huge fan of Armas but imagine wanting to fire a coach when you were forced to play Lade and Murillo as CBs through no control of his own whatsoever, away from home. It's like a salary cap exists and you can't be 5 deep at every position in MLS.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

but you can construct the roster so that you enter the season with 5 CBs and 5 outside backs instead of carrying 8 wingers. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

but you can construct the roster so that you enter the season with 5 CBs and 5 outside backs instead of carrying 8 wingers. 

100% fair, but isn't that Hamlett's job?

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

right, which is why this cluster of a season isn't just on Armas, which has been my point all along. this is just the '17 season all over again, where we're playing guys outta position out of necessity due to poor roster construction. that '17 team got a final, despite the issues. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

100% fair, but isn't that Hamlett's job?

yes, it is.  You tell the GM what you need positionally, and they go and get it.  

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

yes, it is.  You tell the GM what you need positionally, and they go and get it.  

On most teams, sure. Here, we have Papa Red Bull to deal with.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Don't know why some fans try to differentiate coaches and GM's that much.  Outside of having a bad relationship, GMs and coaches are very much in lockstep when it comes to getting players.

If Armas had said that Nealis shouldn't be on the first team, then he wouldn't be here.  Simple as that. 

Now in any salary cap system you can only allocate a certain amount of resources to certain positions.  Our back line gets a good amount of money as it is. That means we basically have to go a bit cheaper on the depth positions on the back line.  The problem is that our depth right now isn't usable.  Nealis isn't good enough, especially for this system.  His short area quickness isn't at the level it needs to be.  Someone like Parker is a big strong dude but he's got a plenty quick first step.  This system just demands very good athleticism from the back 4 because there are too many times they get stuck on an island.

Bottom line though is that there are just too many guys playing below their ability.  Murillo is front and center there.  I'd even say Davis.  Kaku for most of the year although I like how he's playing now.  The discipline is a joke though right now.  Murillo and Kaku have taken how many reds?  Incredibly stupid reds?

Just too many swings and misses on players this offseason.  Epps was a failure.  I don't know how anyone could ever watch him play and think he'll fit in this system.  He has skill, but his style is slow.  This system requires a quickness to decision making.   Tarek is OK at best in my opinion.  he's been better than I think he is which is OK for a 3rd CB I guess. 

We'll still be tough when everyone is healthy.  Our back line (outside of the RB position) is just so far ahead of most back lines.  It doesn't get better than Parker, Long, and Taxi.

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

right, which is why this cluster of a season isn't just on Armas, which has been my point all along. this is just the '17 season all over again, where we're playing guys outta position out of necessity due to poor roster construction. that '17 team got a final, despite the issues. 

Agree wholeheartedly on your point that this season feels very similar to 2017. Some of the on field deficiencies are similar. Weve experienced a drop off in our CAM play. 2017 was Sachas decline, this year is Kakus disappearance and ongoing soap opera. Both seasons included life after the departure of our rock at CDM, Dax in 2017 and Tyler this year. I fear this season will end in similar fashion to 2017, a lower seed in the playoffs and relatively early exit. Unfortunately, we dont get to at least have that deep Open Cup run.

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Agree wholeheartedly on your point that this season feels very similar to 2017. Some of the on field deficiencies are similar. Weve experienced a drop off in our CAM play. 2017 was Sachas decline, this year is Kakus disappearance and ongoing soap opera. Both seasons included life after the departure of our rock at CDM, Dax in 2017 and Tyler this year. I fear this season will end in similar fashion to 2017, a lower seed in the playoffs and relatively early exit. Unfortunately, we dont get to at least have that deep Open Cup run.

Mostly agree, but I am happier with the new playoff format. Just make the playoffs and hope to get hot for a run. No more away goals and aggregate scores. Win or go home.

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

Mostly agree, but I am happier with the new playoff format. Just make the playoffs and hope to get hot for a run. No more away goals and aggregate scores. Win or go home.

Unfortunately for us this wasnt instituted last year, where we would have had a distinct advantage for the whole playoffs. This year theres a good chance well have to go on the road. East is still wide open, but I cant say I have great confidence that well go on a run and take it.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts
Underwhelmed by this year but taking heart that starting 11 uninjured has played almost no games together

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull
This should be stickied

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,478 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

This should be stickied

So long as the title is changed to include Denis Hamlett, who has given Armas nothing and the players are well aware of it.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)