27 replies to this topic

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Is it an upward transfer? Just because he is going to the EPL, it is not guaranteed hell be on an upward trajectory. He is going to a team that will most likely be relegated. It is not guaranteed hell start, the majority of the games hell be there for. Why rock the boat when you have regular playing time and still have exposure to the NT? Right now, Berhalter has him as a lock CB, as an MLS defender!! The lure of the EPL will not make you a better player, especially at his age.

Financially, 100%. Developmentally, 100%. Yes, there is a risk/downside, especially if he turns out to not be good enough to start. But as a professional with pride in your craft and belief in your skill? It's a move that almost every player makes if given the chance.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

imo, there's no issue with Long if he and Soton end up in the 'Ship next season, if that's where he ends up. the Marseille offer should be looked at also. in theory, they have a chance at Europe every season. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Is it an upward transfer? ... He is going to a team that will most likely be relegated.

Ream struggling on a reported $1.8 Million at Fulham.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts
He he can struggle for 2M a year why not get 150% increase

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

"Negotiating the best possible price" requires the option to say no.   If you don't retain the option to walk away, you won't get a good price.

Sure. I also did say "bona fide" offer, so my assumption is a reasonable price will be offered as a starting point.

Teams negotiate transfers all the time, this is not exactly a new concept (well, maybe for Hamlett). :)

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Should never keep guys who want to leave.   Almost always ends up being bad for everyone.  

Will hurt to lose him without a doubt, need to fill that position.  And not with Tarek because he's not a starter.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Should never keep guys who want to leave.   Almost always ends up being bad for everyone.  

Will hurt to lose him without a doubt, need to fill that position.  And not with Tarek because he's not a starter.

Tarek didn't have the most illustrious career before we traded for him, but I thought he was excellent in 2019 and is starting-quality in MLS if he continues at that level. Depth behind him becomes a black abyss though.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

Agreed - I liked Tarek in his limited time this year. Had the "RBNY" mentality (aggressive in tackles, good speed and physicality).  Could refine his game a bit but seemed to be a lot better than many other CBs in the league. Wouldn't mind him and Parker starting, but absolutely need another backfill as a strong 3rd CB if Long leaves. Maybe bring Ndam back as CB 4?  I hate moving taxi over as a makeshift CB - his strength is out wide

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Tarek didn't have the most illustrious career before we traded for him, but I thought he was excellent in 2019 and is starting-quality in MLS if he continues at that level. Depth behind him becomes a black abyss though.

I think Tarek did a very good job, but I really don't see him doing well with a ton of minutes.  If we go into the season with him as one of our starters, we are in trouble.  It's one thing for a player to spot-start, it's another to carry the entire load. 

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Tarek started out well, but went downhill midyear. Also, seems very injury prone.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

totally fine with Parker and Tarek being CB1 and CB2 for now. would need CB3 to be a guy like Tarek this yr. can get 15-20 starts, stays with the 1st team, isn't sent down to RB2. CB4 or CB5 can be Nealis. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Tarek and or Nealis wont cut it.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Tarek started out well, but went downhill midyear. Also, seems very injury prone.

very unusual for players to not improve, even go backwards, under Armas.  /s

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users