15 replies to this topic

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts
  • Supports:Metro

This photo has been my Metro white whale. Unfortunately, I forgot to save it in 2000, and it was not available on the internet since. I searched far and wide... and it finally appeared out of nowhere. Titled "LOTHAR MATTHAUS & FRIEND":

0000177686alpha.jpg

04.07.2000.LOTHAR MATTHAUS & FRIEND.ON HOLIDAY IN SAINT TROPEZ, SOUTH OF FRANCE

Maybe I'll suggest it for an upcoming #MetroMonday...

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Really? I literally just searched "Lothar Matthaus St. Tropez" on google and it was one of the first images to pop up. In fact, here's another.

0000177688alpha.jpg

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts

Really? I literally just searched "Lothar Matthaus St. Tropez" on google and it was one of the first images to pop up. In fact, here's another.

Yep... It wasn't there until recently. I've looked for YEARS.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Yep... It wasn't there until recently. I've looked for YEARS.

Interesting. What a great period of Metrostars history that year was   :)+

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts
Ah, the good old days.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts

A day after this photo appeared, Metro beat Dallas, 2:1. From the official summary:

The MetroStars were also without the services of defender Lothar Matthaus (back strain)

Haig

Haig

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • Supports:Bora Bora Metro
That's him with his then-girlfriend Maren Muller-Wolfhart, who also just so happened to be his doctor's daughter.

And also it just so happened that his excuse for going to the Côte d'Azur was that his doctor said the warm air would "loosen up his back."

When he bothered returning from his therapeutic vacation, we let him know that Jones Beach was warmer.

And the jingle from the Bain de Soleil suntan lotion commercial was part of our songbook for the rest of the summer.

╔╦╗┌─┐┌┬┐┬─┐┌─┐  ╔═╗┌─┐┬─┐┌─┐┬  ┬┌─┐┬─┐
║║║├┤  │ ├┬┘│ │  ╠╣ │ │├┬┘├┤ └┐┌┘├┤ ├┬┘
╩ ╩└─┘ ┴ ┴└─└─┘  ╚  └─┘┴└─└─┘ └┘ └─┘┴└─

jamison

jamison

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York

Our history would be funny.

If it wasn't so sad.

ig101

ig101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts

Maybe I'll suggest it for an upcoming #MetroMonday...

If I had a twitter account, I would start #metrofanaticmonday or something like that.

HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, US National Team

The photo, along with that moment in Metro history brings tears to my eyes. And, that's not a compliment.

Sigh...

In aliquo puncto, vos have ut decernere si vos es a fan verum Morbi fan ut vere aut vult Morbi ludis.

cBr

cBr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts

there comes a time in a man's life when he starts to give zero fucks.  Here is a clear example of one of them 

5 year plan

CRSvideo

CRSvideo

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

Interesting. What a great period of Metrostars history that year was   :)+

Actually, that was a really good year for Metro.  That was the year we got Mathis and he went on a scoring tear with his "I Love NY" shirt reveals, Tab Ramos was healthy for the first time in his Metro career and showed us just how good a player he was, Chung cha Chung Chung...Chuuung,  Valencia was scoring for us.  Some of the most enjoyable to watch play this team ever had was that year.

bukie2k

bukie2k

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts
  • Supports:ManU, Cosmos, Metros

Actually, that was a really good year for Metro.  That was the year we got Mathis and he went on a scoring tear with his "I Love NY" shirt reveals, Tab Ramos was healthy for the first time in his Metro career and showed us just how good a player he was, Chung cha Chung Chung...Chuuung,  Valencia was scoring for us.  Some of the most enjoyable to watch play this team ever had was that year.

The following season wasn't too shabby either. Whatever happened between the end of 2001 and the start of the 2002 season is anyone's guess because the bright spots have been few and far between since.

When you are born, you get a ticket to the freak show. If you are born in the United States, you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

vflkirwan

vflkirwan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts
  • Supports:Metro/VfL Wolfsburg und die US Boys
As others have noted, a very uneducated post by thoward. One of the two playoff series ever involving multiple games won by team happened that season. Mathis with 5. Crime of Century also happened that season. One bad offsides call away from final in DC. Prob one of top 3 seasons in team history.

metros11

metros11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,906 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Top 3?  I would say overall that was THE best season.  Mathis, Valencia and Alex Comas, Petke, Jolley and Danny Hernandez.  That was probably the most exciting team to watch.

"What better way for DC United fans to drown their sorrows than with this new beer called 'The Tradition'.  A relic name of a bygone era where DCU was relevant." - VfLKirwan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users