22 replies to this topic

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,477 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Short offseason (Season starts Feb. 26) , early Decision Day (Oct.9), MLS Cup (Nov.5).

34 matches, Home and Away vs each team in our Conference (26 matches in total). Charlotte joins Eastern Conference, with Nashville (not Chicago) moving to the Western Conference. The 8 other matches will be non-Conference (which I feel diminishes the Shield).

5 or fewer weekday matches, all others on the weekends. The weekday matches won't be back-to-back weeks. 1 in each of May, June, and July, with 2 in August.

Teams need to request to play during the FIFA breaks.

https://www.mlssocce...nment-announced
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Ecuador
I might be late to this but is New England rebranding ? I kinda miss the USA retro badge but the new badge looks good.

LONG LIVE METRO

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
I don't mind the schedule dates wise, they didn't have much choice with the world cup being when it is.

Nashville in the west and not Chicago is weird. Nashville is closer to Atlanta and Charlotte, would have thought they would want to build those rivalries.

I hope the Open Cup comes back next year too.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I might be late to this but is New England rebranding ? I kinda miss the USA retro badge but the new badge looks good.

Just the logo, they kept the name and the colors.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Home and Away vs each team in our Conference (26 matches in total). ... The 8 other matches will be non-Conference (which I feel diminishes the Shield).

Perhaps there could be 2 Shields, based on conference results only (26 matches).
After all, it is a fan-created award.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

Just the logo, they kept the name and the colors.

Sounded like they were open to a full rebrand but praise to the fan research which made that a firm no. Not terrible, but ANOTHER round crest?? Zzz. MLS branding is so...insecure. "Are we legit now? This seemed good elsewhere..."

Opposite extreme is old school NASL. A gleefully American expression of the sport. 90s MLS design and branding wasn't a bad middle ground!

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
MLS Cup is the 5th, not the 8th. Tuesday night cup final definitely made me double check the link.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Short offseason (Season starts Feb. 26) , early Decision Day (Oct.9), MLS Cup (Nov.8).

Good, I've always been jealous of the shirt offseason the Euro leagues get

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

Agreed. Ive always hated the super long offseasons in MLS.

Preseason is slated to start at Jan 17th, so about 6 weeks after the cup final.

Say this every year but hopefully they dont leave transfer business super late. Struber is still alluding to the lack of a preseason for issues with player acclimation, sooner they get guys in the better.

A proper recruitment team would probably already have a list of targets ready for the positions that need strengthening, and maybe already doing some negotiation

Dont want to hear more of the We tried trope. Its time to compete at the top again.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

I get it from a fan perspective but for the players it's brutal. The physical and mental burnout is serious. Even moreso in a league like ours where the travel is massive and games are usually hotter. 

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
I don't even see it as a real shorter off season, to me this is getting back to normal after having the schedule affected by covid. 2020 and 2019 both had early March starts to the season, this is only a handful of days earlier.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,477 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Feb 26 @ San Jose Earthquakes - 6p EST
Mar 5 @ Toronto FC - 2p EST
Mar 13 HOME OPENER v. Minnesota United - 2p EST
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

Looks like I will be driving to San Jose in February.  I wonder if it might be advantageous to RBNY to play during the international breaks.  We have very few players currently with any chance of getting national team call ups.  Only really Casseres that I can think of and maybe Long if he can return to form.

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats
Early March in Toronto? Ouch

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Early March in Toronto? Ouch

Long range forecast: clear, high 34, low 25.
Tuesday 3/1 Raptors v. Nets
Thursday 3/3 Raptors v. Pistons
Sat 3/5 Maple Leafs v. Canucks

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users