87 replies to this topic

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Why overpay, just extend the loan option they already negotiated for the entire year. This is a club option. No need to give contract. I get why some people who don't really think Sims is worth it would be indifferent to it. However, thinking that they really wanted him, but didn't extend because Sims wished to be close to home, so he forced us to take it in the ass with no other good choice, as in the PR announcement by FO, is a bit naive.

"The New York Red Bulls have re-acquired winger Josh Sims on loan until June 30 from Southampton, the club announced Tuesday. The club has the option to extend the loan. He'll be added to the roster as a Young Designated Player." https://www.mlssocce...oan-southampton

The player would have to be willing to come back to the US during a pandemic.

In the end, the FO made the right choice. If he didnt want to be part of the club. No reason to extend the loan. There are other soccer players in the world.

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Sure in US sports you will have guys traded and they'll have no say in the matter.

But not in international soccer. Players don't get transferred against their will. Same concept applies to this loan. Simple as is. 

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

The player would have to be willing to come back to the US during a pandemic.

In the end, the FO made the right choice. If he didnt want to be part of the club. No reason to extend the loan. There are other soccer players in the world.

Yes there are, but unfortunately we are losing some real talent without getting equivalent or better back, and results reflect that.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Sure in US sports you will have guys traded and they'll have no say in the matter.

But not in international soccer. Players don't get transferred against their will. Same concept applies to this loan. Simple as is. 

Time is a flat circle. Reality is difficult to grasp.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
This is one of the dumbest threads here in a while.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Ecuador

This is one of the dumbest threads here in a while.

Gotta agree. I honestly don't think Sims was even in our long term plans anyways. I feel like we were doing him and his club a favor for having him here train and get minutes and once his contract ended we were gonna replace with someone before corona (but let's be honest it would have been someone from the Bulgarian third division [do they even have a third division?] Or some kid who just had his high school prom).

He's gone, we didn't replace him because of the pandemic or because of incompetence but the fact is he's gone and not coming back. Need some more signings and not 6 month loans.

LONG LIVE METRO

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

the Bulgarian third division
[do they even have a third division?]

How could you not know this?
https://en.m.wikiped...l_league_system
https://en.m.wikiped...eague_(Bulgaria)

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
We need a new coach and a handful of players better than Sims.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Sims himself finally spoke on the move out of NY and as predicted its COVID related link

“It was a great move — especially the year before when I went out there at the back end of last season,” Sims tells The Athletic. “I really enjoyed it, and that is why I went back out there again at the start of this year (MLS seasons run from March to December). But no one could guess the outcome of what was going to happen with the COVID situation"

gas huffer

gas huffer

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Supports:metroboludos
Released by Southampton
https://www.google.c...ion-5492924.amp

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I'm a fan of that dude.  Sadly I don't know that he fits this formation well.  Not a good enough scorer to play up top and I don't know that he's defensive enough for the 8's.  Not a good enough passer for the 10 spot either.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

I felt like he showed some promise as a Royer type dude on the other side - not sure he would fit our current system, though. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,800 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I'm a fan of that dude.  Sadly I don't know that he fits this formation well.  Not a good enough scorer to play up top and I don't know that he's defensive enough for the 8's.  Not a good enough passer for the 10 spot either.

I know its what we do, but we did not see enough of him to jump to any strong conclusions.    

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

I know its what we do, but we did not see enough of him to jump to any strong conclusions.    

Bring him back & see what he can contribute.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,800 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Bring him back & see what he can contribute.

Cut Harper to make room?   Maybe too early to quit on him, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if we did.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users