137 replies to this topic

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Carnell on Barlow: "[He] is one of the highest strikers in the league on getting shots on goal. He does the dirty work for the team, and sets himself up. It will come. The page will turn and Tom will be scoring goals soon enough." #RBNY

https://twitter.com/...7747245057?s=21

Thanks. What the fuck. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Rzatkowski is German, but otherwise, I agree.

Osterreich is the Hoboken of Germany.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Carnell on Barlow: "[He] is one of the highest strikers in the league on getting shots on goal. He does the dirty work for the team, and sets himself up. It will come. The page will turn and Tom will be scoring goals soon enough." #RBNY

I feel like I say this in the match thread every game, but "It will come" is only a valid excuse for a player who actually has a history of scoring.  Someone without a history of scoring at MLS level and who keeps hitting balls directly at the GK or off target... that's just a bad striker.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts

I just think that MLS is just a bit too fast for him, but USL is providing zero challenge. The league is changing every yr, and its changing too fast for some of the domestic players. That said, he's gonna keep getting starts, like this one against NE, because of work rate, hold up play, and all of the "little things". Carnell's relying on the goals coming from somewhere else. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

I feel like I say this in the match thread every game, but "It will come" is only a valid excuse for a player who actually has a history of scoring.  Someone without a history of scoring at MLS level and who keeps hitting balls directly at the GK or off target... that's just a bad striker.

I get it, you arent going to shit on your own player in the media. Still strange how much of an opportunity he is getting to start regularly.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts

I get it, you arent going to shit on your own player in the media. Still strange how much of an opportunity he is getting to start regularly.

We've been through this recently with Armas and Buckmaster. lol 

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

He has 16 fewer minutes than Ayo Akinola in Toronto and the same number of shots on target (17).

Akinola is 5 years younger than Barlow.

Akinola has 8 goals this season, Barlow has 2.

On a per 90 basis, Barlow is actually pretty far up the list in terms of shots on target, but who gives a shit if none of them go in?

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts

He has 16 fewer minutes than Ayo Akinola in Toronto and the same number of shots on target (17).

On a per 90 basis, Barlow is actually pretty far up the list in terms of shots on target, but who gives a shit if none of them go in?

He also has the 6th worst xG differential in the league. (Might be worse now after those fuck ups vs Chicago.)

I want a striker to score goals, is that too much to ask?

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

I confess I never follow the USL team too much - anyone know how his touch around goal looked for RBII? Is he just like stuck in his head now? His weird off the shin shot against Chicago (that White scored on) sort of makes me doubt he ever had a touch. But I hope I'm wrong, and he just is mentally having a tough time putting it together right now. 

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

I confess I never follow the USL team too much - anyone know how his touch around goal looked for RBII? Is he just like stuck in his head now? His weird off the shin shot against Chicago (that White scored on) sort of makes me doubt he ever had a touch. But I hope I'm wrong, and he just is mentally having a tough time putting it together right now. 

His feet are definitely not a strong aspect of his game. Hes big, fast, and strong, but will always be limited because of that.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Carnell on Barlow: "[He] is one of the highest strikers in the league on getting shots on goal. He does the dirty work for the team, and sets himself up. It will come. The page will turn and Tom will be scoring goals soon enough."

Came across an article on Midtjylland that espouses this philosophy. About 20 paragraphs in:
https://www.bbc.com/...otball/54651454
I do not know how someone could value a player who creates 10 chances but does not score over one who scores 3 from 3 chances.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I've never bought into that "just needs some confidence, get a goal and it will open the floodgates" nonsense.  It doesn't happen.    We've said it about so many players, andI can't think of any who get a goal an then go on an extended run.   He got a brace, then has done nothing but shit the bed since.   

As much as I appreciate his work rate, I will always prefer a guy like White who is incredibly efficient over a guy who wastes chances, assuming appropriate sample size.   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Came across an article on Midtjylland that espouses this philosophy. About 20 paragraphs in:
https://www.bbc.com/...otball/54651454
I do not know how someone could value a player who creates 10 chances but does not score over one who scores 3 from 3 chances.

I guess it assumes a certain minimal proficiency of all professional players and over 10 decisions like this 6 will be correct. Not sure how you can use it to make a call on a single player in a vacuum. I don't really get moneyball though. I can sort of see how it applies to baseball hitting - where it is more of 1 batter against a pitcher. But soccer is a team sport against another team with different skill sets.  

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Carnell has just settled on Barlow as the best option.  I'd slightly put White above him but it's not an obvious call.  I don't mind Carnell having his opinion and showing conviction with it. He's just making his choice between two shitty choices and showing some confidence in the media.  THat's fully expected because he has to do that.

White will still get his minutes because it's clearly him and Barlow now.  

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

I think we are best in 4231

Meara
Duncan-Parker-Long-Pendant
CCJ-Yearwood
Valot/Stroud-Kaku-Royer
White

However, if they still want to continue to try to get the leash off than maybe strap him to some more time with White and Kaku

me personally I am done and want to leash Tetteh to a Return to Sender 

maybe they go 1 D mid?  mix of CCJ and Yearwood - 

Not saying I would play CCJ as sole D mid

Royer and Kaku

White and Tetteh 

(I know Carnell likes Barlow but maybe he starts on the weekend)

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users