61 replies to this topic

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,817 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

I'm so desperate for actual competition that the other day I intently watched a 2 minute video of marbles racing down a Hot Wheels track. I'll take what we can get...

Same, but with the Bundesliga coming back on Saturday and other Euro leagues following, I'm not going to be desperate for a literal Mickey Mouse tournament in July.

Also, don't knock marble racing too hard. That shit is peak drama.

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, NYK, NYM, NYJ

I truly do not understand why you would go out of your way to get all the teams down there and have it be a tournament that doesnt count for anything.  Just let it be regular season games.  I understand that they are still holding out for games at the actual stadiums but those will most likely be behind closed doors anyways. 

Yeah, it feels like they should hold a tournament, or shoot to have a regular season, but to fit both in feels clunky.  At least, it does as long as the tournament is going to feature a group stage and be this drawn out thing.  It's hard enough to motivate the players to win the tournament...what the heck do you do to motivate the teams in the consolation bracket?

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

Tournament seems pointless if they are going to try to finish the season.  Why not just make the games in Orlando count for the season? It is not like home field advantage is particularity important to competitive balance like it is in th Premier League as the schedule is already unbalanced. 

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,502 posts

What if Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck test positive?

Lol

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Go for regular season games or do a World Cup style tournament complete with group stages.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,048 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
Just call it a League Cup. Get a Sponsor.
https://en.m.wikiped...ao_Energy_Drink
https://en.m.wikiped...rg/wiki/EFL_Cup

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls

Perhaps this "tournament" is to provide Teams a "pre-season" before they go full speed ahead playing 2 games per week. Not all of the MLS Teams have resumed training. I don't see any mention of either of the LA or NY Teams resuming training. The province of Quebec denied Montreal the opportunity to return back to training. Not all geographical locations are at the same pace with re-opening from this damn virus.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,048 posts

The province of Quebec denied Montreal the opportunity to return back to training.

Will teams be able to travel to & from Canada?
Will they be quarantined?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

pushthepace

pushthepace

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Before all of this happened there was already talk and a proposal for the NBA season to start on Christmas Day (typically a huge NBA day with the biggest matchups of the season all day) versus starting in October like they usually do and not having to go up against the NFL and college football regular season for three months. After this, there is momentum for the NBA to go with this new December start date if they do go ahead and decide to finish out this season during the summer months.

Now, with the news that MLS does not plan to play regular season games until at least September, is there any way the MLS will revisit the current schedule/setup? Is there a perfect harmony between matching up the schedule with the FIFA calendar (August - May) while also taking advantage of the dead time in US sports during the summer months (only MLB in play) and considering weather (winter break?) and other factors?

Hypothetically for this season they would resume in September, possibly take a winter break, resume the season and then could end around late May or early June and keep a similar schedule moving forward. 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

Before all of this happened... 

All depends on the quantity and quality of testing for the players. Closed door games can start whenever they have it figured out.

No vaccine for 12 months leads me to believe that it will be unlikely for games to involve spectators until next year. I know Red Bull has been working hard to figure out a way to have live fans before the vaccine is ready for the general public, but I have doubts about MLS as a whole or any league being able to pull it off.

uptownbull

uptownbull

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts
  • Supports:metro, barca, usa
Every other row, every other seat? Still not 6 feet.

RED. BULL. OUT.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,048 posts

I know Red Bull has been working hard to figure out a way to have live fans before.

RB have been trying to have live fans for the past 15 years, with diminishing results.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,537 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

And still wouldn't be sold out

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts
  • Supports:Metro & USA

And in the bathroom, every 3rd urinal and and every 2nd stall.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,907 posts

A round-robin style tournament with the league’s 26 teams broken up into four groups, group stage matches counting toward the regular season, and a knockout round tournament at the end, is how the proposed MLS tournament in Orlando would be, according to The Athletic.

The tournament format will reportedly feature four different groups, split up by conferences. Each group will compete in five matches within itself with the top two teams from each group to be featured in an eight-team, knockout-style tournament. As the regular season will extend beyond this proposed Orlando tournament, the five group-stage matches would count towards each team’s 2020 MLS Regular season records.

Should the regular season continue after the proposed Orlando tournament, it will be abbreviated. Nashville SC will remain in the Eastern Conference for the remainder of the season. MLS would also expand the playoffs to nine seeds per conference, and there would be no inter-conference play.

https://sbisoccer.co...-mls-tournament

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users