• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

MTF

MTF

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
Have you heard Alejandro Bedoya (interview with Twellman on Fox)? He said sending the players to Orlando for 8 to 10 weeks with nowhere to go, nothing to do but practice and play, and without their families will essentially be a luxurious prison. Much like MLB, I think the players will not be rushing to support this unfortunately.

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls

https://sbisoccer.co...-mls-tournament

So looks like MLS is accelerating the inevitable move of Smashville joining the Eastern Conference. With Sacramento, St Louis, and Austin joining MLS and only Charlotte, as an East of the Mississippi team, Smashville was going to be an Eastern Conference Team at the end of the day. In these uncertain times, any footie is good. This season is a wash. Lets move on and just get back to some sort of normalcy.

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,817 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal
And the reward for this tournament is, what, pride?

Still seems pointless.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,914 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Still seems pointless.

The same thing could be said about the Leagues Cup...

Oh, wait.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,058 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

And the reward for this tournament is, what ...?

A cup? Replacing the USOC?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Speedball

Speedball

Metro Masochist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,423 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and things.
  • Supports:Metros, NJ Ironmen, Fluminense

Still seems pointless.

Restart the season. The idea is that the round-robin games are going to count toward the regular season. The knock-out round games, however, are pointless.

"They better keep playing that RB Arena update because that unbuilt stadium is the only positive thing about this soft-drink-selling, coached-by-a-dumbass, trading-good-players-for-shit, hopeless, retarded, club." - MetroFanatic

"It was always six weeks away. Every month, [Nick Sakiewicz] would say, we're six weeks away from the stadium. It's been the longest six weeks of my life." - Mike Petke

"The league stopped caring about us when the slavers ponied up money for the abortion across the river." - MetroFanatic

"I think every country can learn everything about each other. If the whole world can be together, it can be good." - Mathias Jorgensen

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

The knock-out round games, however, are pointless.

Literally 7 more games (3 each max for the finalists) for fun , TV ratings and "covid tourney" winner bragging rights.

Not necessarily the most meaningful thing in the world, but I don't see any harm in it.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Still seems pointless.

Is your preference really to have zero soccer at all?

Interesting point from Bedoya though, its so easy to forget the human side of the equation. 

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,505 posts

our big chance

MLS would also expand the playoffs to nine seeds per conference, and there would be no inter-conference play. 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2
I don't really understand why they don't have every team play every team in their conference twice and go from there.

I think 24 games from here till playoffs seems do able and yeah it might be unfair with who gets to play who where and with fans but let's be serious it's mls and with an unbalanced schedule thing we're never totally fair.

Yes it would delete all non conference matches that happened but to me it keeps value in these matches rather than making some pointless tournament.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,914 posts

Is having a bubble tournament really better than playing in normal empty stadiums? Fine, blue team might have to play in Hartford, but who cares about them.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Is having a bubble tournament really better than playing in normal empty stadiums? Fine, blue team might have to play in Hartford, but who cares about them.

No huge difference for the matches themselves, but a big decrease in travel and contact with peopld in various cities. Also much easier to contain/trace contacts when someone inevitably contracts the virus.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
How long would this proposed tournament last?

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,817 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Is your preference really to have zero soccer at all?

That's not the alternative. There's already the Bundesliga, and the other big Euro leagues will be back in a few weeks.

An MLS pseudo regular season tournament doesn't do much for me.

Maybe it will sound better when they flesh out the details, but right now, it sounds like a shit deal for the players and mostly a waste of time for fans.

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,514 posts
Agree... A tournament with no long term meaning is a waste of time. Bedoya makes some good points but a lot of MLS players haven't made they money that Bedoya has and aren't gonna be thrilled with no income. A majority of players will want to play without a doubt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users