Has the team ever been booed on opening day?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Red bull out chants? Red bull spend? Songs about this team deserving better? A song to Nas & Curtis Martin to assemble a dope local consortium to buy the team? I have faith in the clever crankiness of metrodom.

They had a RED RUNS DEEP marketing campaign going on this past year.

Might I suggest RED RUNS CHEAP?

;)

IMO they need to spend smart and spend big this off season if they want to prevent shit like this from happening.

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls
Outside of the NYC game, will any match at Red Bull Arena this season have more than 10k butts in seats? Like actual people there, not those false/distorted numbers the FO puts out.

Who is the big marketing sell? Kaku? Robles and BWP were fan favorites.

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

To be fair, you can say that for every team in the league except for LAFC.

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Has the team ever been booed on opening day? We're currently on track for it. At this rate I'll be booing before the ball is even kicked.

I hope you're not also a Jets, Mets, Islanders (at least until the past year or so) fan too! Sheesh.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

Outside of the NYC game, will any match at Red Bull Arena this season have more than 10k butts in seats? Like actual people there, not those false/distorted numbers the FO puts out.

Probably not, no. We have a small, loyal fan base. Casual fans are almost non-existent. 

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

Booing Sean Davis and Amro Tarek isn't going to solve shit. I think the only way this gets solved is if MLS pressures them. That's where to direct angst, I think.

MLS is not going to apply any pressure any time soon to a team that has made the playoffs 10 years in a row and recently won a bunch of supporters shields. We are years away from any sort of MLS intervention into player acquisition and on field performance. If they were applying pressure to Red Bull to improve, they would have to be on over half the teams in the league. Attendance is declining across the league, even for some teams that did well this season. 

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

MLS is not going to apply any pressure any time soon to a team that has made the playoffs 10 years in a row and recently won a bunch of supporters shields. We are years away from any sort of MLS intervention into player acquisition and on field performance. If they were applying pressure to Red Bull to improve, they would have to be on over half the teams in the league. 

And be very careful what you wish for. MLS got involved with a struggling Columbus Crew by seemingly giving a new owner the go-ahead to move the team altogether.

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

And be very careful what you wish for. MLS got involved with a struggling Columbus Crew by seemingly giving a new owner the go-ahead to move the team altogether.

But, that is Columbus, Ohio.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

That wasn't to say that MLS is going to move a team out of NY, just that their involvement isn't a guarantee to find a solution that makes fans happy.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Two things would have to happen for them to get boo'd that first game; they would have to totally shit the bed in the transfer window, and lose the game.     If those both happen, I can easily see an immediate, vocal response.  But if they win, or they sign a bunch of promising talent that simply fail to gel in time for the first game,  I wouldn't expect it.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Probably not, no. We have a small, loyal fan base. Casual fans are almost non-existent. 

You can say that has always been true, but this year the attendance was noticeably lower than 2018 and prior years.

We've discussed the many contributing factors ad nauseum, but RB Arena attendance has definitely seen better times than in 2019. A couple of splashy names wouldn't be a miraculous solution to all the issues (and would obviously not fix the PATH/parking/NJ aspects), but could help improve it a bit.

Mynameisfutbol

Mynameisfutbol

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

Honestly if your problem is ownership and not the players on the field, just don't go. Showing up and booing is just putting money in Red Bull's pocket and giving shit to the wrong guys.

I might just write a robot to quote this post everytime someone bitches about the owners. Well said sir

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre
I buy my tickets secondhand and mooch last minute freebies off here, so there's that. "This team has no fans" doesn't hit the same way as "this team has fans who care, and they are PISSED."

Plenty of ways to voice displeasure at the people undermining the team and not the team itself, which the team might actually feel validated by. Listen to Robles' season ending interview after the Atlanta playoff loss. The captain pointed out who they were bringing off their bench compared to us. You can hear the exasperation in his voice, which I'm guessing he shares with other players tired of coming THIS CLOSE.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull

Theres already his preferred NY team there

No real reason for a second

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull

Two things would have to happen for them to get boo'd that first game; they would have to totally shit the bed in the transfer window, and lose the game.     If those both happen, I can easily see an immediate, vocal response.  But if they win, or they sign a bunch of promising talent that simply fail to gel in time for the first game,  I wouldn't expect it.

So theyre getting booed then

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users