410 replies to this topic

GMoney

GMoney

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

I hope you are right, I really think he can be a massive player for us once he has a proper preseason and some time to integrate.

I find this one really interesting. He seems to be a player. We know that he turns into a 10th grader when gets into the box. His history shows that hes not going to produce goals. But that doesnt mean that he cant be a good player for us.

It would retard the development of Omir and other young wingers significantly though.

Im interested to see how the team will move forward with this one. Im not 100% sure how I feel about it yet.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I find this one really interesting. He seems to be a player. We know that he turns into a 10th grader when gets into the box. His history shows that hes not going to produce goals. But that doesnt mean that he cant be a good player for us.

It would retard the development of Omir and other young wingers significantly though.

Im interested to see how the team will move forward with this one. Im not 100% sure how I feel about it yet.

This isnt a nursery. The real talents of RB2 like Miazga Adams Long CCJ etc will come through and earn their spots because they are that good. The rest will fill out the bench. And when a particular position isnt producing you go out and get production.

I like Omir but he isnt on the talent level of those guys above. And its not because he hasnt been given enough minutes.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts

He should start every game.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

He should start every game.

How is this even debatable?

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO
He's very weak and light and gets knocked off the ball easily, against a physical team like nycfc or dc thugs he would have a hard time staying on his feet. I'm not sure he'd survive a whole season in the mls but luckily he doesn't have that problem.

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

He's very weak and light and gets knocked off the ball easily, against a physical team like nycfc or dc thugs he would have a hard time staying on his feet. I'm not sure he'd survive a whole season in the mls but luckily he doesn't have that problem.

guy can hold his own if he's played EPL/Championship

Ben Mines take note as they are basically the same size and Sims shows a lot more ability to stay on ball and grit in getting into tackles (RZA too same size and tackling)

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

He played for Reading in the Championship which is about as grimy as it gets. He needs to add muscle but a winter with the fitness staff can correct that. If adding muscle is the biggest of your worries then you're in good hands. Getting a guy to add 10 pounds of muscle is easy. Getting a guy to learn how to dribble with speed or hit driven, accurate crosses is incredibly difficult. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics

He played for Reading in the Championship which is about as grimy as it gets. He needs to add muscle but a winter with the fitness staff can correct that. If adding muscle is the biggest of your worries then you're in good hands. Getting a guy to add 10 pounds of muscle is easy. Getting a guy to learn how to dribble with speed or hit driven, accurate crosses is incredibly difficult. 

worth the DP tag/salary, just for the ability to accelerate with possession, while fending off defender and to shoot off a driven cross? we've never had that, closest we had was Veron, but he was def a better scorer than Sims. Sims is the better fit, system-wise. pretty much checks a lot of the boxes in terms of positional needs/ expectations. he may not be the absolute best defensively for the position, but if it meant having the abilities mentioned above? all for it. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
Just because he played doesn't mean he wasn't knocked around, if he was good for that level he wouldn't be here. At the same time I watched him live once and those are my limited impressions. If anyone watched him at championship I'd like to know how he dealt with the physicality. He sure isn't 149 lbs of muscle but whatever he's from England so must be good...

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Getting a guy to learn how to dribble with speed or hit driven, accurate crosses is incredibly difficult. 

Usually, all it takes to get someone to forget how to do these is to have RB acquire him!

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

I have no idea how he did, but my point is merely that physical football is not an alien concept to him. And again, this is extremely easy to correct. Gaining a little bit of muscle can be done by any decently fit 22-year-old in one winter. Finding someone with the skills necessary to play for Southampton and the England U20s? That's hard. 

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

I watched the games he played in and didn't notice he got knocked around at all. I am surprised anyone came away with that impression after watching him play.

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

I watched the games he played in and didn't notice he got knocked around at all. I am surprised anyone came away with that impression after watching him play.

Agreed regarding Sims.  I have felt that in his limited time Omir was getting knocked around a lot.

I would really like to keep Sims, but at his age and with his pedigree, I wouldn't be surprised if he views this as just a nice experience and is itching to return to English football. 

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Guessing the judgement on Sims was based on the one play where McKenzie shouldered him off.  It was one play though.. Sims is fine on strength.

I'm just hopeful we keep him.  He fits the system perfectly.   You can tell Kaku is a player who loves hitting a ball into space and letting guys run onto it and the team has no speed higher up the field so he never gets to actually do it.  Well Sims has legit speed.  Sims created that first goal out of nothing just by gaining a step on the defender.  

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Agreed regarding Sims.  I have felt that in his limited time Omir was getting knocked around a lot.

I would really like to keep Sims, but at his age and with his pedigree, I wouldn't be surprised if he views this as just a nice experience and is itching to return to English football. 

Assuming we pay him the same (not a safe assumption given our ownership), Sims would have to decide if he would rather toil as an average Championship player or feature as a possible all-star level MLS player. If his Prem dreams are over, he may rather live and play here than in, say someplace like Stoke.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users