169 replies to this topic

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Last night, he was.

Perhaps.  Don't have a big problem with that point but also don't know what that means.  They lost 4-0 so I have a hard time saying anyone was good for them.  

Right Back

Right Back

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Interests:RedBullOut
  • Supports:Metro, RedBullOut

Hey, can you enjoy a win without shitting on a good guy and our former captain who bled for this team?

Dax was fantastic all night with the exception of the third goal where he is definitely at fault. He honestly looked like the only guy who came to play for Chicago, so in a way yea, they did well in trading for their best player.

#RedBullOut

Rats get fat, good men die.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Hey, can you enjoy a win without shitting on a good guy and our former captain who bled for this team?

Dax was fantastic all night with the exception of the third goal where he is definitely at fault. He honestly looked like the only guy who came to play for Chicago, so in a way yea, they did well in trading for their best player.

Can only speak for myself when I say that Dax is a good player, but trading him was still the right thing to do for the team. No shitting on Dax.  And saying David Accam is better than him is not shitting on Dax by any means. 

Same reason with Lloyd.  Same reason in the future I believe with Sacha.  Unless we win it all anyway. Then Sacha can get a lifetime contract.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

At the time was a huge chunk of money.  Now not so big.  As someone else mentioned above, the trade basically results in Escobar and Keita.  

Either way, Dax is absolutely not their best player.  He's probably not better than BS or Nikolic either but there isn't even a debate when it comes to Accam.

Lastly, we are worse this year because our best CB (and one of the better CB's in the league) was hurt the entire year and Sacha suffered a big time drop off.

Dax at this point is better than injury prone BS, and even if not the best, he is easily one of their top 3, and a star of the team. To get back money, which we later spent to get players deep on our bench for a player like that is not winning, but getting brutally taken advantage of.

Agree about Collins hurt and Sacha's major drop off, that hurt us big time. But so did not having Dax. Davis did not perform nearly as well as Dax throughout the year and we had scrubs like Mule getting major minutes all year.

And more to your point about Collins, had we had Dax, maybe we could have traded him for a solid CB. Getting nothing in return for a NT player, who becomes top 3 guy in Chicago, if not the best, is simply a terrible and pathetic deal for us, which hurt us big time.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Dax at this point is better than injury prone BS, and even if not the best, he is easily one of their top 3, and a star of the team. To get back money, which we later spent to get players deep on our bench for a player like that is not winning, but getting brutally taken advantage of.

Agree about Collins hurt and Sacha's major drop off, that hurt us big time. But so did not having Dax. Davis did not perform nearly as well as Dax throughout the year and we had scrubs like Mule getting major minutes all year.

And more to your point about Collins, had we had Dax, maybe we could have traded him for a solid CB. Getting nothing in return for a NT player, who becomes top 3 guy in Chicago, if not the best, is simply a terrible and pathetic deal for us, which hurt us big time.

That was a swing and miss for sure.  We had to get a better CB than Escobar .  He might even become good eventually but we needed a better player immediately.  I still think that's what is going to cost the team in the playoffs. Not enough size and mobility in the back 3. 

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Can only speak for myself when I say that Dax is a good player, but trading him was still the right thing to do for the team. No shitting on Dax.  And saying David Accam is better than him is not shitting on Dax by any means. 

Same reason with Lloyd.  Same reason in the future I believe with Sacha.  Unless we win it all anyway. Then Sacha can get a lifetime contract.

Listen, even if you feel trading him is the right thing to do, and he is #2 or #3 on Chicago, trading him for nothing is still an absolute disaster. We got no one concrete back. No one. And we had Mule and Zizzo getting major PT all year. Even if we got a good CB back it would be huge for us. But we got nothing when we gave another team top 3 player. This has to be one of the worst trades in club's history. 

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

That was a swing and miss for sure.  We had to get a better CB than Escobar .  He might even become good eventually but we needed a better player immediately.  I still think that's what is going to cost the team in the playoffs. Not enough size and mobility in the back 3. 

Swing and miss doesn't cover it. This was not Sam, who was older and his decline was clear based on performance that very same year he was traded. Dax was 29 and didn't decline at all. When we give up a player of that quality, we need to get proven quality back or allocation money/slot with someone specific aligned to get to the team, like we did for Sacha. Not just give a team their top 3 guy and get nothing at all back. What happens now if someone has yellow card or injury or not playing well? We get to Zizzo  sleeping on the field again, like he did during Open Cup final? We surely could have done better this year with Dax or if we traded him for a decent CB or another good player vs nothing at all.

Trumanaldo

Trumanaldo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
  • Supports:MetroBulls, Liverpool, NFFC, COBRA

Sacha suffered a big time drop off.

You mean the league leader in assists?

I'd rather die than live in a world where I can't kick your ass.

"Seattle fans talking trash on Justin TV but I have absolutely zero soccer knowledge to counter with" - Philadelphia Union Fan.

http://redbullrant.wordpress.com

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Swing and miss doesn't cover it. This was not Sam, who was older and his decline was clear based on performance that very same year he was traded. Dax was 29 and didn't decline at all. When we give up a player of that quality, we need to get proven quality back or allocation money/slot with someone specific aligned to get to the team, like we did for Sacha. Not just give a team their top 3 guy and get nothing at all back. What happens now if someone has yellow card or injury or not playing well? We get to Zizzo  sleeping on the field again, like he did during Open Cup final? We surely could have done better this year with Dax or if we traded him for a decent CB or another good player vs nothing at all.

The point was that Escobar was a swing and a miss in terms of getting a good CB needed for this year.

We had Dax's replacement.  Davis had a rough time in the beginning but it's clear that Tyler could have done the job.  The move was done to get guys like Davis and Tyler more minutes.  Clearly a good move.  Hell, Adams is already the best player on the field in most games. 

Dax didnt' decline yet but he will.  We all decline.  Rather be a year early there than a year too late because once you are too late, you get zero.   Same discussion going on now with Sacha.  The only reason he looks tolerable is because we are playing this gimmick formation that protects him.  

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Winning the Dax trade has nothing to do with beating Chicago, it has to do with making MLS Cup.  Until then everything is still exactly the same.  Technically we have gone just as far this year as we have in other years.  With that being said let's smash Toronto

Remind me of all the MLS and Open Cups we won with Dax?

How can you win a trade when you give the other team their best player and get literally nothing at all in return? We lost that trade hands down big time, got worse from last year, but are still better than much improved Chicago team.

The tarde was as much, if not more, about getting Adams and Davis on the pitch as it was the allocation money.  In that regard it was an unmitigated success.

Definitely not shitting on Dax, the guy gave everything he had while he was here.  That said, he was on two Shield teams and a third team that won the East, none of which even made MLS Cup.  In no way were those playoff shortcomings Dax's fault, but it's not like we'd be guaranteed to win it all if he were here.  If you look at this team all year, the one place you don't here a lot of complaints about is CDM.  Would we be better if we had Dax instead of Felipe?  Marginally, I guess.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

You mean the league leader in assists?

In your heart of hearts, do you think Sacha is nearly as good as he was the last two years?

I don't.  Bruce realized it with the national team (although hard to trust anything Bruce thinks now) and Marsch/Armas realized it.  It's the main reason we are playing the formation we are playing.

tariq13

tariq13

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, New York Red Bulls

Wow. So many people all year shat on that trade and complained how we're "missing something" in the midfield without Dax. We win one playoff game against him and suddenly it was a masterful trade? lol

Look, it was a trade that was bad for the short term but good for the long term. He was traded to make room for Davis and Adams to start. Both of them have become good players, though it did take them some time during the season to get there. Hence why we went from 1st in the east to 6th. I think the reason why we've been an inconsistent team is that we have two young players who moved into starting positions and with youth comes inconsistency. Not a knock on Davis or Adams at all. I think they're great and deserve their spots, but you have to give them time.

Also doesn't mean Dax is any worse because his team lost to us. The nonsense of this is that, say Chicago had beaten us yesterday, would you say we lost the trade then? The trade comes down to one playoff game? That's ridiculous.

Ultimately, the trade wasn't something I wanted but something I know is for the best. But don't start shitting on a guy who loved our club and gave everything he had for us. Dax is a fucking Metro legend! I was not a fan of Dax before he came here and I talked a lot of shit about the trade to get him when we lost DeRo. I was proven wrong and I won't start badmouthing him again. He's a good player who was sacrificed for the greater good of the team. Let's show respect to our former captain.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Wow. So many people all year shat on that trade and complained how we're "missing something" in the midfield without Dax. We win one playoff game against him and suddenly it was a masterful trade? lol

Look, it was a trade that was bad for the short term but good for the long term. He was traded to make room for Davis and Adams to start. Both of them have become good players, though it did take them some time during the season to get there. Hence why we went from 1st in the east to 6th. I think the reason why we've been an inconsistent team is that we have two young players who moved into starting positions and with youth comes inconsistency. Not a knock on Davis or Adams at all. I think they're great and deserve their spots, but you have to give them time.

Also doesn't mean Dax is any worse because his team lost to us. The nonsense of this is that, say Chicago had beaten us yesterday, would you say we lost the trade then? The trade comes down to one playoff game? That's ridiculous.

Ultimately, the trade wasn't something I wanted but something I know is for the best. But don't start shitting on a guy who loved our club and gave everything he had for us. Dax is a fucking Metro legend! I was not a fan of Dax before he came here and I talked a lot of shit about the trade to get him when we lost DeRo. I was proven wrong and I won't start badmouthing him again. He's a good player who was sacrificed for the greater good of the team. Let's show respect to our former captain.

word

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

Remind me of all the MLS and Open Cups we won with Dax?

The tarde was as much, if not more, about getting Adams and Davis on the pitch as it was the allocation money.  In that regard it was an unmitigated success.

Definitely not shitting on Dax, the guy gave everything he had while he was here.  That said, he was on two Shield teams and a third team that won the East, none of which even made MLS Cup.  In no way were those playoff shortcomings Dax's fault, but it's not like we'd be guaranteed to win it all if he were here.  If you look at this team all year, the one place you don't here a lot of complaints about is CDM.  Would we be better if we had Dax instead of Felipe?  Marginally, I guess.

not saying we won MLS Cup with Dax, but we only won a wildcard game guys.  As cool as the 4-0 was, we are not even in the Conference Finals.  Until we do that how can we so openly think we "won the trade".  Nothing has changed..yet at least in terms of end result.  Hopefully we can comfortably say we won trade on December 9th

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Trades are not won or lost in year 1 unless one of the teams wins a title immediately. Other than the 400k in allocation money spent of Murillo/Escobar/Keita (?), we got 500K in salary that we didn't have to pay to Dax AND Davis/Adams got a lot more playing time that would've gone to Dax.

Sure, in year 1, Chicago got their money's worth and improved a lot (pretty much inevitable from a ground zero start) and we didn't get better using our young assets but this development time will be useful for us down the road. In 3 years there will be no doubt we won this trade.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users