McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

the lack of effort the Ownership has ... the past Years since Henry retired

Not sure this is fair.  They obviously have not done enough last year and for this upcoming season, but we were really good during Marsch's tenure here.

I know a lot of people will disagree with this, but I view RB's firing of Petke as an example that they cared, at least in 2015, about winning.  Why fire a coach that the majority of fans adored?  Why piss off so many people?  One argument would be, that they don't care about the fans.  I think it's more likely, they didn't think Petke was any good and brought in someone that they, correctly, thought was.  They felt it was the right decision for winning, so they took the unpopular route.

All that said, ownership has gone AWOL this offseason.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO
Petke wasn't the type of coach to run the team in the way RBGlobal wanted.

Global hired both Curtis and Marsch to have the team run w/o spending too much $$$, and having their on-field philosophy implemented. Curtis was able to find decent experienced players who didn't cost all that much and Marsch knew how to motivate the players and convey his ideas properly. Conversely, Hamlett just finds players who don't have much pro experience or cost much and Armas isn't all that great at getting his msg across with incomplete sentences.

Sucks that even with the addition of the scouting and analytics depts, Arm-lett exists as an obvious barrier to team success. Also, the person directly above Arm-lett still has yet to be held accountable for keeping these 2 on.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Petke wasn't the type of coach to run the team RBGlobal wanted. They hired both Curtis and Marsch to have the team run w/o spending too much $$$, and having their on-field philosophy implemented. Curtis was able to find decent experienced players who didn't cost all that much and Marsch knew how to motivate the players and convey his ideas efficiently. Conversely, Hamlett just finds players who don't have much pro experience or cost much and Armas isn't all that great at getting his msg across with incomplete sentences. Sucks that with the addition of the scouting and analytics depts, Arm-lett exists as a barrier to team success, or better yet, the person directly above Arm-lett still has to be held accountable for keeping these 2 on. 

For sure, but this just supports that they did care about winning, at least a little, in 2015.  Would have been cheaper and easier to give Petke a shot.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not saying they cared as much as ATL's or LAFC's owners do now or that RB Global has been anything, but garbage in 2019 & 2020.

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT

Not sure this is fair.  They obviously have not done enough last year and for this upcoming season, but we were really good during Marsch's tenure here.

I know a lot of people will disagree with this, but I view RB's firing of Petke as an example that they cared, at least in 2015, about winning.  Why fire a coach that the majority of fans adored?  Why piss off so many people?  One argument would be, that they don't care about the fans.  I think it's more likely, they didn't think Petke was any good and brought in someone that they, correctly, thought was.  They felt it was the right decision for winning, so they took the unpopular route.

All that said, ownership has gone AWOL this offseason.

I think there are reasons for the Petke firing that none of us were privy to.  I'm convinced something happened behind the scenes.  This is speculation, of course.  But for the longest time after he was sacked, he didn't get a look from a single MLS club.  I'm guessing there was a reason he wasn't getting interviews.  Absent some other reason,  the lack of interviews was perplexing considering his strong record as manager (which included a shield win).  For whatever reason, this hasn't been reported on, or the Red Bulls did a great job of keeping the lid on the real reasons for Petke's firing.  But I'm convinced it was more than just thinking Petke wasn't a great manager.  

Whatever the reason, however, in hindsight  the decision certainly to sack Petke certainly looks better.  Marsh, IMO, is clearly a better manager than Petke (who was a good manager for us, BTW).  

ig101

ig101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,423 posts
  • Supports:Metro

From what I recall, Petke was let go soon after Henry retirement and was being told that he will not get DP replacements or additional budget, he was throwing a fit or two in pressers or interviews.  Then good boy Jesse came that said yes to everything papa Red bull said and we all know what happened after.

Mynameisfutbol

Mynameisfutbol

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

For whatever reason, this hasn't been reported on, or the Red Bulls did a great job of keeping the lid on the real reasons for Petke's firing.  But I'm convinced it was more than just thinking Petke wasn't a great manager. 

In the industry, some of the details of termination never see the light of day. As an example, we still do not know the real cause of the firings of Richie and Des days prior to the start of the season. There has been plenty of theories and rumors but nothing concrete. And if I am not wrong, neither one of them worked for another MLS institution after that.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

From what I recall, Petke was let go soon after Henry retirement and was being told that he will not get DP replacements or additional budget, he was throwing a fit or two in pressers or interviews.  Then good boy Jesse came that said yes to everything papa Red bull said and we all know what happened after.

I thought Petke was onboard with the new direction, at least publicly.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

I think there are reasons for the Petke firing that none of us were privy to.  I'm convinced something happened behind the scenes.  This is speculation, of course.  But for the longest time after he was sacked, he didn't get a look from a single MLS club.  I'm guessing there was a reason he wasn't getting interviews.  Absent some other reason,  the lack of interviews was perplexing considering his strong record as manager (which included a shield win).  For whatever reason, this hasn't been reported on, or the Red Bulls did a great job of keeping the lid on the real reasons for Petke's firing.  But I'm convinced it was more than just thinking Petke wasn't a great manager.  

Whatever the reason, however, in hindsight  the decision certainly to sack Petke certainly looks better.  Marsh, IMO, is clearly a better manager than Petke (who was a good manager for us, BTW).  

Headed for a thread split.  Something behind the scenes could have been issues the players had with him.  Dax, in particular, throw Petke under bus after the home playoff loss to NE.

Maybe he didn't get interviews because he had arguably the most talent in the league and couldn't win MLS Cup?  Or other teams looked at his firing after such an excellent record and figured, like you said, there were behind the scene issues.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
I would take Mike back, if Armas gets the sack.
Unfortunately, unlikely.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,161 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull

Headed for a thread split.  Something behind the scenes could have been issues the players had with him.  Dax, in particular, throw Petke under bus after the home playoff loss to NE..

Deservedly so. As much of a Petke fan I was, that was not one of his finer moments.

And after what happened at RSL, hes totally radioactive in MLS

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

Dax ... throw Petke under bus after the home playoff loss to NE

This game?
http://www.metrofana...ory.jsp?ID=6528
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=WNENYBBApRk

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

MetroFever

MetroFever

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts

This game?
http://www.metrofana...ory.jsp?ID=6528
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=WNENYBBApRk

The Metrofanatic link doesn't blame Petke, only the refs. Since it's been 6 years, memories will be short, so this NY Post article explains it best where Mike wasn't even aware that BWP would be out for the second leg because of the senseless encroachment on the GK. Does the play happen if BWP is spoken to before the game? Who knows...but it didn't make him look good:

https://nypost.com/2...-the-red-bulls/

Especially after the way he went out in his last MLS stint, he shouldn't be missed. He will never be confused as some master tactician. I always considered Robin Fraser as the brains behind the team.

However, I do have respect for the way he stood up to Henry at a practice, which Backe would never do. After that, you never saw him with the snarky body language towards his teammates. 

As an aside, I was in the upper bowl for the home match. On the lone goal, it was one of the loudest cheers I've ever heard there. I think we all thought we would win MLS Cup that season.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

https://nypost.com/2...-the-red-bulls/

Thanks for the link. Still, I disagree.
Is it the job of the HC to track YC accumulation?
AFAIK, assistants track stats like this.
Example in basketball: fouls & time outs remaining.
Second, in a tied home first leg, go for it.
You cannot expect to win in NE.
That was probably the stat Petke remembered.
Finally, I would welcome him back.
Does anyone think Mike is homophobic?
His behavior should not be considered unforgivable.

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

Thanks for the link. Still, I disagree.
Is it the job if the HC to track YC accumulation?
AFAIK, assistants track stats like this.
Example in basketball: fouls & time outs remaining.
Second, in a tied home first leg, go for it.
You cannot expect to win in NE.
That was probably the stat Petke remembered.
Finally, I would welcome him back.
Does anyone think Mike is homophobic?
His behavior should not be considered unforgivable.

Personally, I dont think Petke is regarded as a very good coach within the league. I believe thats his roadblock, not the comments he made. I think that was a convenient excuse for them to let him go. Whether he is a good coach or not is a different discussion.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

I dont think Petke is regarded as a very good coach.

Many fans and reporters of every sport seem to think that most coaches are idiots.
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=B_NnHvrD_GY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users