Is Armas a good successor to Marsch?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Poll: chris armas is a good successor to jesse marsch (71 member(s) have cast votes)

chris armas is a good successor to jesse marsch

1. yes (16 votes [22.54%])

Percentage of vote: 22.54%

2. no (4 votes [5.63%])

Percentage of vote: 5.63%

3. till early to tell (51 votes [71.83%])

Percentage of vote: 71.83%

Vote Guests cannot vote

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres
I still wish they had went with Wolly because he knows the system, has significant experience as a head coach and has actually won a title as a coach.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

uptownbull

uptownbull

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts
  • Supports:metro, barca, usa

Doyle's latest piece sums up the change to Armas for me right now. Hoping the team is just in transition to a more lethal version of itself:

My Worry: Ok yeah, all is well, but it's still jarring to see how differently this team plays compared to earlier in the season. I looked through a bunch of numbers to try to put my finger on it, and only came up with this one to shed a little bit of light: Their passing accuracy in the attacking third has improved significantly over the past seven games.

That's a good thing, right? Well, kind of, as long as it's in the service of creating better chances.

{graphic showing Armas' team is taking 3 more final third passes per shot than Marsch's}

They've got 11g in seven games under Armas, and had 34 in 16 under Jesse Marsch. They keep winning and they actually lead the league in PPG, and patience is probably a virtue. Going by the eye test, though, if you asked me "are the Red Bulls playing as well as they were earlier in the season?" I'd definitely say "nah."

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts

Agree with that thought from Doyle. Said the same thing in the last game thread and even others.  It's weird because I'm not crazy about what I'm seeing, but we are winning.  

The other thing is that Marsch typically liked to chase the goal after we got a lead.  Armas is showing that he likes to go defensive.  A couple games now of adding defensive types of players late in games that are tight.  Marsch would usually keep the same amount of attackers knowing that the opposing team was going to throw everything forward, and we'd likely get a great chance that would end the game.

For what it's worth, I prefer Marsch's way of going about that situation. Always on the attack.

The wild thing too is that we are passing more often which is nice for possession but it's also against the premise of the system.  The whole premise of the system is to take advantage of the 2 or 3 seconds when you win the ball back and the opposing team is at it's most vulnerable. 

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,499 posts
  • Interests:Football and Football, heading to the beach and the lake. Spending time with fam at parties and reading existentialism philosophy oh yeah cant forget anime. Oh yea and MiLo is pronounced Mee-Low, its short for Camilo.
I agree with you that they now are starting to look different...

It's too soon to judge Armas...

Maybe they only look different because of wear and tear and now that they've played half a season together they may feel a little more comfortable on the ball...

But I get the feel that under Jesse team was about speed and hi press and the hi press was their creative spark....

Under Armas I want to say that they more a possession side but more creative, they play and trust Royer Kaku more to make a final pass.. And it's worked...

Goal vs Chicago showed that they haven't changed drastically either or abandoned the hi press more that the in game tactics of not playing direct unless they have a glaring chance to is the only difference I see in such a small sample of action to analyze....

It's more like the personality.. Jesse always seemed tactical and direct as a player with high work rate and while Armas seemed that way too he seemed more like the guy that had grit... That last win they grinded it out...

I would like to see that on the road sometimes but I hope especially against a team in bad form that they try to get a second goal before going defensive...
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,319 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

when Marsch kept it the same wrt subs and not fielding extra defenders late, is that partly why we lost some late leads/couldn't hold leads? 

some deep philosophical stuff, best defense is a good offense, that sorta shit. we are where we are currently due to having the best defense period. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, and Glenn Stampiglia

"Team That I Dream Of" and "Faithful To The Colors" 

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts

It really hasn't worked from an offensive standpoint though.  It's not like we are creating more chances. We're certainly not scoring as many goals.  We are winning because we don't give up any goals.  That won't continue either (as good as the back 4 is) because we are still giving up some chances and we are getting fortunate that a lot of these half chances aren't going in against us.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,414 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Scoring sell tickets, defense wins championships.  

Except the "scoring sells tickets" part....    thanks anyway, BWP

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,578 posts
  • Supports:Metro

So far, I like him better than Marsch.  

1) Because he gives a shit and looks genuinely thrilled to be the coach here.

2) Because he hasn't made stupid lineup decisions lately.

This is all subject to change.

#RedBullOut

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,818 posts

LOL

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,590 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

So far, I like him better than Marsch.  

1) Because he gives a shit and looks genuinely thrilled to be the coach here.
2) Because he hasn't made stupid lineup decisions lately.

Didn't we spend an entire week after the Columbus game tearing apart his lineup decisions?

Armas is showing to be a great in-game manager though, after sitting pat in his debut against NYCFC the subs he's made have been proactive and have given the team new looks.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,590 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Going by the eye test, though, if you asked me "are the Red Bulls playing as well as they were earlier in the season?" I'd definitely say "nah."

Doyle also recently put out a piece arguing that targeted possession around the box is how you break down a bunker defense, which seems to be exactly what Armas is trying to fix.

uptownbull

uptownbull

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts
  • Supports:metro, barca, usa

Let's hope it's a work in progress, because while he is adding new dimensions, the attack looks stagnant. 

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,437 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, US, Russia
Armas vs Marsch stats updated:

https://twitter.com/...0518611968?s=21

Mynameisfutbol

Mynameisfutbol

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls

There was an article in The Athletic (paywall) where Armas still has weekly conversations with Marsh and they exchange ideas about both RB TEAMS

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Difference seems relatively small, we'll see if the playoff outcomes vary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users