#76 josh24601

josh24601

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,330 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, US, Greece

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:11 AM

Who said he hasn't been successful since? As I said earlier...

His first full season we had the best defense in the league, finished 2nd overall and went all the way to MLS Cup.
His second season we finished first in the league, thus winning the Supporter's Shield and went to the Conference Finals.
Season three: We're on pace to finish top 3 once again.

That's pretty damn "successful" in my book.

Yep. You can't take away what Bruce did for the team when he got here, because you also have to remember what he inherited. Which leads me back to....

The reason Becks makes people so much more angry than Bruce's bunkering is because one decision is a moral one, and the other is a tactical one. People can disagree with Bruce's tactics, even get angry about them, but you can't deny that 1) he brought the team out of the craphole it was in and he did it quickly, and 2) he has the best interests of the Galaxy in his mind when doing so - misguided as it may be.

If it was common knowledge that Bruce's tactics were an attempt to give himself personal favor at the cost of the Galaxy, things would be different. That's why, while the bunkering frustrates me, it doesn't make me want to spray paint banners or quit paying AEG money.

Beckham continues to make moral decisions that value his own flights of fancy above the team performing the way we all want it to.

Just because everybody agrees with you now Lobo, and your earlier "cynicism" was in fact prescient, doesn't mean you have to go back to the contrary. Or, you can, I certainly don't care, but you can't blame anybody for being upset because your dire predictions turned out to be on the mark.

#77 tracer

tracer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts
  • Interests:Galaxy, m. utd, dodgers, teaching, more dodgers...more galaxy...chickens
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, Dodgers, Man Utd, USMNT

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:11 AM

Yeah, but it's still yet to be determined if that kind of "success" will also render a championship in today's MLS...

Also, throwing away cup competitions to focus on winning the league and coming up short also tarnishes a lot of those accomplishments...

the kind of success that will render a championship is called good fortune / luck... we just gotta get to the dance and bruce is good at getting us dates for the dance...

Team Tucker: You might be cool, but I am ZERO cool.  Foo

#78 LOBO 13

LOBO 13

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Interests:Stuff
  • Supports:Creepers In Cardigans Soccer Club

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:27 AM

Just because everybody agrees with you now Lobo, and your earlier "cynicism" was in fact prescient, doesn't mean you have to go back to the contrary. Or, you can, I certainly don't care, but you can't blame anybody for being upset because your dire predictions turned out to be on the mark.

I'm not going back to the contrary... the guy is a prick and I'm disgusted by his behavior, but I've posted that line of thought more times than I care to remember over the years.

It's just boring to me at this point... people can be mad all they want and offer what they will via board posts. It's all good with me, but as Caasi pointed out there are a few that are going off the deep end with it...

Bring the spray paint and I'll gladly help you make a sign... just ask Jamesey about my tagging skills...

If you're not creepin', you're not trying...

#79 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
  • Interests:THE 5 STAGES OF LARS MEMBERSHIP
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    ::: Greenwood FC :::
    --------------------
  • Supports:Pints of Jamesons

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:34 AM

I do not think anybody's criticism of Beckham has gone beyond reasonable.
There are good reasons for taking both tacks on the man, so let them be taken.

Why do people feel the need to silence the opinions of other true Galaxy fans?

If the answer be "I am sick of it", well, tough titties softie.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#80 LOBO 13

LOBO 13

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:34 AM

bruce is good at getting us dates for the dance...

You're preaching to the choir my friend. I convinced a few people of this very thing.... Bruce provides a solid system and sets up a model of consistency. That is obvious and a good approach for the regular season and the first round of the playoffs...

As far as luck/good fortune goes... that's bs. Bruce was throughly out coached by Hyndman last year and it was a perfect example of how new school trumps old school when the games matter... the league is changing and Bruce's tactics are not.

I don't agree with his tactics, but that really doesn't matter. I just hope it's enough this time around, because the roster he put together this season is "the one" in his view.... I hope he's right...

#81 LOBO 13

LOBO 13

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:40 AM

Why do people feel the need to silence the opinions of other true Galaxy fans?

Ha-ha! Who's "silencing" anybody here?

Offering an opinion or a viewpoint via a board post is far from telling anyone to shut up about it...

If that prevents someone from expressing their feelings, who's really the "softie" then?

You're hilarious sometimes...

#82 josh24601

josh24601

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,330 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, US, Greece

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:39 AM

I don't think he meant you.

I'll bring the spray paint!

#83 Catamount

Catamount

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:12 PM

In 2009 we finished second and came within a missed Landon pk of winning the cup. How are you going to blame that on Beckham?
In 2010 we finished FIRST and were knocked out in a game where Bruce was thoroughly outcoached. How are you going to blame that on Beckham?

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty to hate about the guy, but none of what you just said makes any sense.

Galaxy's play is lackluster and without a "killer instinct" because that's the way Bruce Arena coaches his teams. One goal, and sit-back to hold the lead. Everyone who was THERE on Saturday night could see that clear as day. And despite his recent round of stupidity regarding this testimonial game, Beckham, once again, for the umpteenth time this season, played his ass off, and after setting up the goal, he's leading the league in assists.

For someone with 27 years of experience, I honestly question whether or not you can go the rest of the season analyzing games without regarding what 23 does or does not do.

The team has been set up to accommodate and feature 23. LD and Angel have subordinated their roles to 23. 23 is now in the center of the park, playing many of the roles many of us wish LD would play. Juninho is no longer a consistent threat. Barrett will play over Angel and Lopez as long as he's better on Grumpy set pieces and it won't matter that he gets in the way of the G's attack during the run of play. Grumpy singled out Barrett as having played a "great game" after the match. My assessment would be more along the lines of Gordon-esque. How could a person with 27 years of experience ignore the influence of 23 on the G's.

Until he stops being player the whole team is built around, I'll have to make comments on his performance. It makes me angry that he has silenced LD, who spoke the truth to Grant Wahl and should continue to speak that truth.

Not arguing but just curious. How was did he have so much success early in his career (NCAA, MLS, and USMNT 02'). Did he just lose his touch, was it failure to adapt, or was he never really all that good.

I think Bruce's greatest strength is team building. He finds players with a certain mentality and gets them to buy into the larger picture. That seems to be what convinced LD to sign a long term contract. When Bruce had a choice he brought in Angel, a guy who made a full commitment to a very bad team at the time. I'm convinced that Grumpy would not be the kind of player Bruce would sign if he had a choice.

It needs to be said that Bruce has developed two different ways to play with this team. They really did dominate possession in the first half against a possession team, then they defended really well and countered in the second half to get the 3 points.

the kind of success that will render a championship is called good fortune / luck... we just gotta get to the dance and bruce is good at getting us dates for the dance...

John Wooden has two great diagrams that I have composited that illustrate one way to look at the significance of luck in an outcome:
Posted Image
As the pyramid grows it gradually decreases the influence of luck on the outcome. Wooden's pyramid of success was focussed on the individual. I applied it to the team as a whole. :pint:

#84 Slug

Slug

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy, U.S.A.

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:55 PM

Glad my friend's bday was the same day and sold my tix. This game was a fucking snoozer. Fucking Bruce ball (It's better to not allow a goal than score one ourselves). I don't think I can call any of the G's performances, this year, good. They have all been mediocre at best. Whatever. AEG has my money. Fuck Houston and weekday games. Fucking assholes. Fuck.

Let's Eat!

#85 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
  • Interests:THE 5 STAGES OF LARS MEMBERSHIP
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    ::: Greenwood FC :::
    --------------------
  • Supports:Pints of Jamesons

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:38 PM

Offering an opinion or a viewpoint via a board post is far from telling anyone to shut up about it...

If that prevents someone from expressing their feelings, who's really the "softie" then?

You're hilarious sometimes...

I'm always hilarious.
But aside from proximity to your post, why did you think I was singling you out?
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#86 LOBO 13

LOBO 13

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:52 PM

I'm always hilarious.
But aside from proximity to your post, why did you think I was singling you out?

Yes you are a comical character in many ways...

That and Caasi was the only other one towing that line... and I know how much you love him, so proximity and some simple deduction...

Quote your target next time... step up home boy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users