• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,732 posts

True, but they took shot last night I'm not sure they would have taken a month ago.  Off the top of my head, there was a shot in the first half that Sacha took right outside the box, with his left foot - I think he normally lays that ball off.  In the second half, Davis had BWP making a run and he probably normally makes that pass, but blasted near post shot instead.

They are moving better in the final third and that's definitely opening up more opportunities to take good shots.

I think we were scoring last night because we were getting in good positions to take shots rather than just actually shooting.  Most of this season we haven't been getting looks like that.  Plus Davis has always been a shot taker.  Like that about him.  Especially good too because he's not a great passer by any means (at least yet) so it's good he has that element to his game.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Great job out of Veron coming on late.  It's the perfect way to use him.  He's always looked best as a loan striker and he certainly brings a different element to the table compared to BWP..

I won't argue that the lone striker isn't Veron's best role, but the implication (not saying you're implying this) when people say this is that he's unproductive on the wing.  I don't think that's true.  He was good on the wing in the playoffs and he had two assists from the wing in the Philly match.  I think we're seeing what Veron can do when given minutes with the first team.  Still not a DP-level and maybe not even TAM, but he's useful and he's here, so I'm glad Marsch is finding him more minutes.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Glad to see they got 3 points, I only saw the first goal since I was at the USA game. I'll watch the game sometime before Saturday but really glad we took care of business at home. Like others said I'm not very confident in San Jose going into Kansas city and getting the job done, probably going to need PKs for them to win.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts

I think we were scoring last night because we were getting in good positions to take shots rather than just actually shooting.  Most of this season we haven't been getting looks like that.  Plus Davis has always been a shot taker.  Like that about him.  Especially good too because he's not a great passer by any means (at least yet) so it's good he has that element to his game.

Well it's been for Davis to take shots from the bench.  I agree with you, but Sacha has passed on plenty of opportunities in better positions this season (and the prior two) than the one he took left-footed in the first half.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,487 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I won't argue that the lone striker isn't Veron's best role, but the implication (not saying you're implying this) when people say this is that he's unproductive on the wing.  I don't think that's true.  He was good on the wing in the playoffs and he had two assists from the wing in the Philly match.  I think we're seeing what Veron can do when given minutes with the first team.  Still not a DP-level and maybe not even TAM, but he's useful and he's here, so I'm glad Marsch is finding him more minutes.

Veron has fantastic ability, with his speed, to get down the wing and get a good cross/pass in.   He did all the work on Sacha's goal.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,732 posts

Veron has fantastic ability, with his speed, to get down the wing and get a good cross/pass in.   He did all the work on Sacha's goal.

That was always the theory and why it made sense that he would be good on the wing.  He's just never looked great there.  From all of the minutes he's ever gotten, Veron has looked like he could be a good starter in this league when he's a loan striker.  Outside not as much.  Not only that, but one of the press conferences last week and Jesse said that Veron most enjoys playing as a loan striker. 

And I don't know if Marsch mis-spoke, but it seemed like he mentioned that Veron has a chance to start the next game.  No problem with that either because it would be good to give BWP fewer minutes when possible.  Also reward Veron for playing well.

But now this formation kind of changes things because the two outside mids play more inside and I don't think that's great for Veron.  I think he's at his best when there's space and options are limited.  

One thing I am against is us going 2 strikers (outside of late game must-score situations) because we've never looked good with that set up.  BWP and Veron have both said they like being the loan striker so I like the current set up of having 2 capable guys who are comfortable with the role coming in and just trying to ride the hot hand.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts

That was always the theory and why it made sense that he would be good on the wing.  He's just never looked great there.  From all of the minutes he's ever gotten, Veron has looked like he could be a good starter in this league when he's a loan striker.  Outside not as much.  Not only that, but one of the press conferences last week and Jesse said that Veron most enjoys playing as a loan striker. 

And I don't know if Marsch mis-spoke, but it seemed like he mentioned that Veron has a chance to start the next game.  No problem with that either because it would be good to give BWP fewer minutes when possible.  Also reward Veron for playing well.

But now this formation kind of changes things because the two outside mids play more inside and I don't think that's great for Veron.  I think he's at his best when there's space and options are limited.  

One thing I am against is us going 2 strikers (outside of late game must-score situations) because we've never looked good with that set up.  BWP and Veron have both said they like being the loan striker so I like the current set up of having 2 capable guys who are comfortable with the role coming in and just trying to ride the hot hand.

He was playing as the lone striker, but he was basically in a wide role when he helped generate Sacha's goal.  He can play there.

You're right though, if we stay in this formation, there really aren't any wide plays with the exception of the wingbacks.  If we can't sell him and his cap hit doesn't prevent the team from bringing in the players they want, he's a real nice backup to BWP or a wing option if we switch into a 4-2-3-1.

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,732 posts

He was playing as the lone striker, but he was basically in a wide role when he helped generate Sacha's goal.  He can play there.

You're right though, if we stay in this formation, there really aren't any wide plays with the exception of the wingbacks.  If we can't sell him and his cap hit doesn't prevent the team from bringing in the players they want, he's a real nice backup to BWP or a wing option if we switch into a 4-2-3-1.

Agreed, I really don't mind him in this role.  It's hard to get a striker to back up BWP but Veron seems OK with his role. That has value in itself.  Like you said, if he's OK with the role and it's not overly preventing us from signings we want to make then I'm good with how it is.  You need two good strikers to win in this league through a season. And even in the playoffs when you want to change things up.

There are some things he does even better than BWP out there with his movement to wider areas.  It's good that he's a different type of player than BWP because that makes it tougher on defenders.  

If the worst thing happened and BWP went down for an extended period of time then I think it's good we are not completely screwed with Veron playing.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users