Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts
  • Interests:Football
  • Supports:Google+

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:38 PM

Yo Marky Mark,

I doubt anyone will hang you on a gigantic T for that, but if we "died out" as soon as they started singing then they were lagging on singing. every "Crowd friendly" chant we did, we seemed to do about 10-15 times before we stopped. I dunno just my interpretation. Seemed like Good vibrations to me
Zero Cool winner of the 2012 ALMOST Goal of the Year
Isaac: So when I told you guys we were on it, I meant to say we're on the motherfucker, go back in there and relax...

#32 LuvKeane

LuvKeane

Player/Manager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,303 posts
  • Interests:ROY KEANE AND FOOTBALL!!! Musical theatre (Non-Sondheim!)
  • Supports:Broadway & Prawn Sandwich Brigade

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:02 PM

Sure you are thinking "who the hell is this guy that doesn't stand with us trying to tell us what to do." Well first I do cheer with you I just don't stand with you. Second, this is just my opinion, but it is at least a view from slightly outside your section which is a unique opinion that you can take or leave. If you disagree with me fine, we will just have to both agree that beer is good and that's enough for me.

Actually, I personally wasn't thinking that and Im sure many people like Zero weren't neither.
That's why Tommy Mack stated we would like to hear constructive criticism and advice and this was just that. Glad to hear that people were actually taking part and it has been stretching outward.
Now if only the people sitting in >136 would actually join in!
WEST END = PRE-BROADWAY TRY-OUTS

#33 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
  • Interests:THE 5 STAGES OF LARS MEMBERSHIP
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    ::: Greenwood FC :::
    --------------------
  • Supports:Pints of Jamesons

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:04 PM

This statement will get me crucified, I don't currently stand in 138. I sit in 141. I have spent the last several seasons trying to get the wife to move, even going gack to the behind the goal days. She is finally starting to come around, after meeting several of you, before and after the games (thanks for that.)

From my seat in 141, I have to say that Friday night was good form from LARS. I am close enough that I can hear when things get discombobulated, and when things are going great. Since I am there every game I get the joy of trying to chant along with LARS every game, so I have heard the best and worst. Even the worst nights are pretty damn good. But as far as Friday goes, the number of cross chants was WAY down from normal.

The biggest thing that I noticed was that people as far away as my section and section 142 were starting to join in (for the first time this season), then just as soon as they started to join in the cheer died away from it's heart (LARS.) That's not an accusation, there was no way for you to know because the numbers joining in were not significant enough to be noticed from your section.

The key point is this, having the cheers and songs last longer is working. It allows the person several sections away to go through the realization process:

1. What are they saying?

2. I will clap along and try to get the words.

3. OK now i know what their saying

4. I might be the only idiot in my section singing this I will sing quietly because I might get it wrong and I don't want to look like a dweeb

5. Now I have confidence and I am singing along but not at the top of my voice, just in case

6. now everyone around me is singing so I will get loud.

The chants die out at about 1 or two sometimes 3 usually. Friday people were getting as far as 5 on the simple chants, and 3 and 4 on the more complicated ones

So I say the idea of letting the chants/songs go longer is great and it needs to be extended a lot further. I know that it is easy to get tired of the same chant pretty quickly, but about the time you are getting tired of it, someone 2, 3, or 4 sections over may just be finally starting to get the rhythm of the chant/song, much less the words. People, not all of them but many of them, are trying to sing/clap along but most of them are just a little slow on the uptake.

Sure you are thinking "who the hell is this guy that doesn't stand with us trying to tell us what to do." Well first I do cheer with you I just don't stand with you. Second, this is just my opinion, but it is at least a view from slightly outside your section which is a unique opinion that you can take or leave. If you disagree with me fine, we will just have to both agree that beer is good and that's enough for me.

Mark Parker
2006, 2007, 2008 Section 141
2009 Hopefully section 138 (wife willing)

Great feedback, Parker!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#34 DirtyDefender

DirtyDefender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,068 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, US, Newcastle, England

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:16 PM

we will just have to both agree that beer is good and that's enough for me.

I whole heartedly agree to this.

As to your other comments - Points taken and duly noted. Most other MLS supporters sections do chants for long periods of time as well.

#35 AnthonyNHB

AnthonyNHB

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:18 PM

Obviously, that is never going to happen. Standing near the front, I tried being very visual in the clapping and chanting of LA, trying to get both 139 and 136 involved. 139 got involved, but 136 sat on their hands. I saw multiple times people taking pictures of LARS, and it was obvious they were thinking "oh how quaint! they like to cheer." Kind of annoying, but 136 and lower is pretty much a lost cause.

A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

Twitter: BigTony_42

#36 romero03

romero03

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,756 posts
  • Supports:USMNT

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:45 PM

i think people in 137 scare people in 136.

im looking at you zero! lol

we were doing a good job in getting 139 involved.
Twitter

Dodgers, Lakers, Raiders, Galaxy, LA Kings, ASU, Notre Dame(football)

#37 samoabob

samoabob

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts
  • Supports:LA GALAXY! Liverpool FC

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:57 PM

Mark Parker
2006, 2007, 2008 Section 141
2009 Hopefully section 138 (wife willing)

Lord Willing we will Manifest destiny 139 and get closer to you. who knows 2010 we could be in 141.... and while we are on subject 136 is hopeless.

#38 TommyMack

TommyMack

Player/Manager

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,278 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:27 AM

I am beginning to think that the grand experiment of having a capo during "populated" games worked out. As I've said before, it's not to "tell people what to do" as opposed to "get everyone together in what's happening". It's thinking BIG PICTURE.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but despite the minor failings, it was a success.

However, I still don't want to do it again on Thursday.

tm

#39 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
  • Interests:THE 5 STAGES OF LARS MEMBERSHIP
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    ::: Greenwood FC :::
    --------------------
  • Supports:Pints of Jamesons

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:57 AM

I think it was a decent start, about what I expected really.

LARS needs to get used to it more, for sure. By that I mean eventually the LARS masses will end up pavlovianly (I love english!!) looking to the Capo, though no one is trained for it yet. It will happen over time. Practice makes perfect.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#40 BARON DE BELTER

BARON DE BELTER

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,730 posts
  • Supports:LFC, DFB, WINGS

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:46 AM

I think we sounded great and I think the Capos actually helped.

Lets not obsess about being a high glossed glee club, we are THE LA supporters group.

We are the road crew, we are the rock n' roll outlaws of this league. Don't be a robot, don't be a dick, be yourself and have fun. Don't purposly destroy or undermind what the OG's have worked hard to create, help out sing a song and drink some BEER!!!
HIKING METAL PUNX

#41 RobertTheBruce

RobertTheBruce

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,432 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy dickheads! Arsenal

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:22 AM

Good work Mack.

I was up at the top of 137 as I had wife/kid/friends/their kid in tow. It was still a little tough to catch on in the back right away but it was definitely better than other occasions when I've been up top.

As for this Parker person, I wish it was Parker Posey instead, but in any case, my experience up top kinda reinforces what he says about people not being sure what the chant is. Hell, I know all the chants and still didn't always catch on the first or sometimes even the second go-round.

#42 mparker

mparker

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, USMNT

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:24 AM

As for this Parker person, I wish it was Parker Posey instead, but in any case, my experience up top kinda reinforces what he says about people not being sure what the chant is. Hell, I know all the chants and still didn't always catch on the first or sometimes even the second go-round.

Hell, me too. I would certainly touch myself A LOT more often if I was Parker Posey.

#43 LuvKeane

LuvKeane

Player/Manager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,303 posts
  • Interests:ROY KEANE AND FOOTBALL!!! Musical theatre (Non-Sondheim!)
  • Supports:Broadway & Prawn Sandwich Brigade

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:40 AM

Hell, I was in the front row with the mini-megaphone and didn't know the chants!
WEST END = PRE-BROADWAY TRY-OUTS

#44 andric

andric

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:53 PM

I do think it went well. Consider how drunk everyone was given it was a 4th of July game we did great.

Mark thanks for the comments they were very helpful. I would say perhaps you could take a "bathroom break" and hangin 138 for a half or so...your wife wouldn't miss you.
------------------------------------------------------
"Chad Barrett was totally angry when he was subbed out. I think he was angry that he was Chad Barrett." - Chalky

#45 ucsdguy

ucsdguy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Tottenham hotspur

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:02 PM

PS: My regret? I truly feel sorry for the poor souls right behind me. I owe you guys some drinks!

no sweat.

Didn't realize there would be a drum in the first row too. Aside from the splitting headache I had 10 minutes into the match, thought you did a good job. Please take a breath once in awhile though, a few times I thought you looked on coronary-alert.

I actually thought some of our chants went longer than usual friday night. Tommy did a good job with the "one more time" or "keep it going" attempts. Perhaps more of that, or just communicating with upper levels of section and vice versa.

thumbs up

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users