Some people discuss washed-up players (and Tom Barlow)

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Yes. They also have something left in the tank. And last season I say we should get sapong. Ppl here said he was washed up. What did he do this year? Solid season.

I second that this is a bad example when comparing to agudelo and Dwyer, BUT I have no problem signing a veteran proven forward as a spot starter, second half sub, and locker room enhancer.

Barlow has literally no use case now. Hes been given ample time and minutes to show he can make the jump. If he is going to make the jump it will be because he leaves here and is fighting for a career on life support. It aint happening here. No ill will. He played great for the 2s and played hard for us.

I would just rather give that HERES YOUR SHOT KID spot to someone else at this point.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

I would definitely wager he could finish his chances better than Barlow. I would much rather have Dwyer coming in off the bench than Barlow. Guy has scored almost 100 goals in MLS. Barlow has shown himself to be a USL player. Its like Philly signing Aurelian Collin. Worked well for them. To me its a no brainer.

Colin literally didn't play a single minute the last two seasons. If your point is that you want someone who sucks and won't play but helps in the locker room then sure, I guess. The onus is then on you to show how Barlow hasn't been good in that regard.

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Colin literally didn't play a single minute the last two seasons. If your point is that you want someone who sucks and won't play but helps in the locker room then sure, I guess. The onus is then on you to show how Barlow hasn't been good in that regard.

You clearly didnt watch Collin play like a beast when called upon in the conference final against NYCFC.

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Barlow is extremely good at pressing and borderline elite at winning arial duals. He's also good at winning races to balls. This makes him useful in the later stages of a game where you're protecting a lead or draw. He helps keep the ball in the opposing end, wins headers in midfield, and is a top defensive marker in the box on corner kicks and free kicks. If you're trying to get out of the final dozen minutes without conceding a goal, he's probably one of the best players for the job in all of MLS, honestly. 

Does that make him useful beyond limited situations? No. Is he overused? Yes. Do I wish we'd sign a player who could do those things but also not completely fuck everything up with the ball at his feet in the final third? Yes. Does he still more use than any of the guys you cited have shown the last few years? Yes. Would those players perform even worse in a pressing system? Probably. 

The baseline for Mathis was starter for a mid-table Bundesliga team. He was reduced to a decent MLS player. That's an absolutely massive dropoff. The equivalent dropoff for an MLS All-Star would render them less than MLS quality, to say the least. Age has nothing to do with it. Players decline differently. Zlatan is still a top player at age 40 while Wayne Rooney was basically done in his early 30s. You're citing players who have absolutely sucked the last couple of seasons. 

its funny that your saying they suck the past couple of seasons because they were hurt.

under your logic, players like long, Morris, hyndman  are also terrible because they didn't play last year. injuries happen and it takes time and commitment from the team to get these players back to form. i would argue that the teams dwyer and agudelo played for did not have their interest at heart. life is not as simple as you say. the players i mentioned are not that old and can still revive their careers if they are willing to press. we already saw how much gam is being thrown around. you revive the career of one of these guys who are on a cheap contract and you can get some serious allocation money.  this is where you can buy low and sell high. 

to keep barlow because he is a great at pressing is just not good enough. if the team wants to keep him, send him to rb2 to help build a culture for that team but he is not an MLS player. 

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

its funny that your saying they suck the past couple of seasons because they were hurt.

under your logic, players like long, Morris, hyndman  are also terrible because he didn't play last year. injuries happen and it takes time and commitment from the team to get these players back to form. life is not as simple as you say.

What? No. They didn't suck because they didn't play. They got hurt and then sucked when they returned to playing. If Aaron Long plays like shit the next couple of seasons I'd be extremely skeptical about bringing him in in 2024 if I'm another MLS team.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

What? No. They didn't suck because they didn't play. They got hurt and then sucked when they returned to playing. If Aaron Long plays like shit the next couple of seasons I'd be extremely skeptical about bringing him in in 2024 if I'm another MLS team.

it takes times to get back to form when you havent played for a while. the management of their team failed them. it would not suprise me if long sucks for most of the season. he hasnt played in over a year. the team has to invest in him to help him regain his form. good development coaching goes a long way. i would argue that guys like dwyer and agudelo have not had that luxury. 

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

the management of their team failed them. 

How do you know this? Source?

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

How do you know this? Source?

when you see agudelo constantly get leg injuries  in Minnesota or numerous players in toronto complain about their medical staff. you have to question the management of those clubs. players should not be having re-occurring injuries.  

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

when you see agudelo constantly get leg injuries  in Minnesota or numerous players in toronto complain about their medical staff. you have to question the management of those clubs. players should not be having re-occurring injuries.  

Even if Toronto fucked up Dwyer, what's done is done. You can't untear an ACL. 

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts

Even if Toronto fucked up Dwyer, what's done is done. You can't untear an ACL. 

Says who? This is not the 1990s. Players come back from ACL injuries but it takes time. Atleast a year to heal and another year to regain fitness/form. He needs to go to club that will help him regain his old form.

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Barlow is extremely good at pressing and borderline elite at winning arial duals. He's also good at winning races to balls. This makes him useful in the later stages of a game where you're protecting a lead or draw. He helps keep the ball in the opposing end, wins headers in midfield, and is a top defensive marker in the box on corner kicks and free kicks. If you're trying to get out of the final dozen minutes without conceding a goal, he's probably one of the best players for the job in all of MLS, honestly. 

Does that make him useful beyond limited situations? No. Is he overused? Yes. Do I wish we'd sign a player who could do those things but also not completely fuck everything up with the ball at his feet in the final third? Yes. Does he still more use than any of the guys you cited have shown the last few years? Yes. Would those players perform even worse in a pressing system? Probably. 

The baseline for Mathis was starter for a mid-table Bundesliga team. He was reduced to a decent MLS player. That's an absolutely massive dropoff. The equivalent dropoff for an MLS All-Star would render them less than MLS quality, to say the least. Age has nothing to do with it. Players decline differently. Zlatan is still a top player at age 40 while Wayne Rooney was basically done in his early 30s. You're citing players who have absolutely sucked the last couple of seasons. 

Wait. Barlow is borderline elite at winning aerial duals? Tom. Barlow. Borderline. Elite. 😂🤣

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Dwyer would count against the salary cap since he would be on the senior roster, Barlow does not, since he's on the Supplemental Roster.  

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Wait. Barlow is borderline elite at winning aerial duals? Tom. Barlow. Borderline. Elite.

Yes. FBRef has him in the 97th percentile among forwards in aerial duels.

https://fbref.com/en...21de/Tom-Barlow

If you have information that indicates otherwise I'm all ears. 

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Yes. FBRef has him in the 97th percentile among forwards in aerial duels.

https://fbref.com/en...21de/Tom-Barlow

If you have information that indicates otherwise I'm all ears. 

Based on 499 minutes played! LMAO!! Hes not elite in any way as a professional soccer player. Give it a rest.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Staying healthy is a quality some players dont have regardless of the training staff.

One injury can ruin the rest of your career. Doesnt matter where you play after that injury.

Now if players are COMPLAINING about their medical staff thats one thing, but one player with a reoccurring injury isnt substantial evidence that something is going wrong at management level.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users