206 replies to this topic

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Not sure if Zardes would work here, but 300K for Zardes...

Hamlett spent 200K on a draft pick who is not eligible to play.

And then the 675K on Clark, who, you know.

zardes is another guy who cant finish. he also relies on speed to make his plays which is a skillset that is currently in decline. he can no longer run past his opponents.  for that, i would rather keep klimala. it would be like having  the current version of zardes but without spending the 300k. 

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

zardes is another guy who cant finish. he also relies on speed to make his plays which is a skillset that is currently in decline. he can no longer run past his opponents.  for that, i would rather keep klimala. it would be like having  the current version of zardes but without spending the 300k. 

Last four seasons, 19, 13, 12, 9 goals. Trending down, sure, but I'll take him over Klimala... for a price like that.

He also consistently overperforms his xG.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Last four seasons, 19, 13, 12, 9 goals. Trending down, sure, but I'll take him over Klimala... for a price like that.

He also consistently overperforms his xG.

Theyre not going to give up on Klimala. Klimala might be the second striker, but I seriously doubt theyd make him the third option. The question is more would you take Zardes over Fletcher? Fletcher has more upside.

Zardes - 1 G, 0 A, 202 mins
Klimala - 1 G, 3 A, 491 mins

I guess Zardes numbers are better. Depends on how you value assists. And lets not forget Zardes can miss with the best of them, just look to our match against CBus.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I'm hoping Fletcher is the answer. I'm just afraid that we really have no other options if he isn't.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

I'm hoping Fletcher is the answer. I'm just afraid that we really have no other options if he isn't.

My worry as well. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Stating the obvious, but if a team dedicates sizable resources on 2 forwards and they both fail to deliver, that team deserves to suck, and is almost inevitably destined to in a salary cap league.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

Just some thoughts on the team... Struber clearly has this team's pressing on sync. It seems the players have really bought in and it is working well. Other teams have a tough time on the ball and generating quality chances against us. For the most part the defense has been great. Hence our 4-0 road record. When other teams are home, they try to come at us and get dominated by the press.

That being said, its a whole different game at home. When teams sit back and let us attack, that's where we struggle. We still lack ideas and don't have enough quality going forward. If we can get another attacking piece(s), then we may have a shot at really contenting. Luquinhas looks pretty good so far, but Klimala/Fletcher/Barlow up top....still not good enough.

njdevils3027

njdevils3027

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

Just some thoughts on the team... Struber clearly has this team's pressing on sync. It seems the players have really bought in and it is working well. Other teams have a tough time on the ball and generating quality chances against us. For the most part the defense has been great. Hence our 4-0 road record. When other teams are home, they try to come at us and get dominated by the press.

That being said, its a whole different game at home. When teams sit back and let us attack, that's where we struggle. We still lack ideas and don't have enough quality going forward. If we can get another attacking piece(s), then we may have a shot at really contenting. Luquinhas looks pretty good so far, but Klimala/Fletcher/Barlow up top....still not good enough.

Totally agree. I fear that what we see so far, is how much of the season will continue to go unless we get that legit striker (again, barring a Klimala turnaround or Fletcher settling in at an above-Fabio level). And don't get me wrong, that is still a very solid team but not one that can legitimately compete for MLS Cup.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Totally agree. I fear that what we see so far, is how much of the season will continue to go unless we get that legit striker (again, barring a Klimala turnaround or Fletcher settling in at an above-Fabio level). And don't get me wrong, that is still a very solid team but not one that can legitimately compete for MLS Cup.

Yep. I think we all have that same fear. I have no doubt that that Red Bull management views the current team as "good enough". I have no faith whatsoever that we will get those extra attacking pieces in the summer transfer window. History tells us, they won't go out and get those final pieces. So...as good as we may be playing, I see this season ending the same way as usual. An early playoff exit because of our inability to score consistently, especially at home/against a bunkered defense. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

I have no faith whatsoever that we will get those extra attacking pieces in the summer transfer window.  

No matter what our needs, expect few if any moves.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Even by our recent standards, we're in an awful position to make any serious moves at striker this summer. In order for it to happen, Klimala would have to be sold (who's buying?) or they'd have to make decision right on the cusp of the summer window to decline Fletcher's option. 

And then to further complicate things, we would be relying on an interim GM with a dubious international track record to either have a move lined up ahead of time or scout/sign someone within the confines of the summer window.

Next time I can see us making a move at striker is next winter, and that's still probably contingent on Klimala's raising his stock and being sold.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Even by our recent standards, we're in an awful position to make any serious moves at striker this summer. In order for it to happen, Klimala would have to be sold (who's buying?) or they'd have to make decision right on the cusp of the summer window to decline Fletcher's option. 

And then to further complicate things, we would be relying on an interim GM with a dubious international track record to either have a move lined up ahead of time or scout/sign someone within the confines of the summer window.

Next time I can see us making a move at striker is next winter, and that's still probably contingent on Klimala's raising his stock and being sold.

Honest question. Why would Klimala need to be sold / Fletcher declined in order for us to buy another striker?

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

My fear is that home teams are going to figure out that they should just play us like they were on the road and just sit back and well be screwed.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Honest question. Why would Klimala need to be sold / Fletcher declined in order for us to buy another striker?

Klimala is a DP and I'm assuming Fletcher would be too if we sign him. I don't think Red Bull would sign another DP striker knowing at least one of them would be on the bench every game. They'd see it as a waste of their money and the roster spot.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Yep, we'd have to get rid of one of them at least.  I'm on board with that big time because this team is really good outside of the striker position.  I'd hate to waste this.

Struber is liable to leave after this season and once that happens, there is a high probability that we see a dropoff.  Sadly there are more coaches like Armas out there than there are compared to Jesse or Struber.

And given we don't spend a lot, we have to have a good coach to have any chance at all. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users