396 replies to this topic

njdevils3027

njdevils3027

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

Henry didn't lead to consistent sellouts, but actual asses in seats during his time vs the last few years was night and day. Taking casuals and first-timers to the stadium recently has been embarrassing at times. Nothing like 5k fans booing a lifeless attack full of no-names to get the people going!

Mynameisfutbol

Mynameisfutbol

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls
When I used to frequent social media: glass half empty

When I quit social media: glass half full

That and I lost some weight, eat better, my dog loves going out for walks with me, and have come to make peace with the fact that soccer will outlive me and all these twists and turns that used to annoy or enrage me are not worth my mental sanity. The highs and lows in soccer are just like the ones in life itself.

And to my Spanish speaking supporters, ahórrense el hígado

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
I never care what other teams are or are not doing.

I care about what WE are doing.

And right now we are not signing the two star players the team needs if we are going to contend for MLS Cup.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

I've only ever heard this preseason excuse once when Struber brought it up as a team-wide pain point last year, and it was true that they had 75% of their scrimmages cancelled to COVID. Who is out there saying that one of our guys struggled because he joined the team in February instead of January? Kaku was announced on February 16th and came flying out the gates that year. Klimala played just as well after signing in April than he did in October.

Thelwell's season-end press conference had "the last 14 games we won 2 points per game" basically as a chorus.

https://fb.watch/aeeATliRmz/

Additionally, check at 14:30. Roughly along the lines of "I always thought these 12 new signings improved the roster [and...] given the right support, opportunity and time to acclimatize the players could finish top 4, and we were only 3 points off it in the end"

"Tom Edwards, it takes him 57 days to come in the country. Then he's not fit and needs to catch up"

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU
The "pre-season excuse" is not an excuse, it's a reality, whether they say it or not. Not having these players here hurts our performance, period.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts

The "pre-season excuse" is not an excuse, it's a reality, whether they say it or not. Not having these players here hurts our performance, period.

It's a reality of their own making...

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

It's a reality of their own making...

Exactly. We are also going to hear We are a young team, for the 2nd straight season, the only senior signing they made has some experience, but they also lost their captain.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
Young team
COVID
short preseason
Not the right fit
Discovery rights
Strong finish last season
Opportunity for academy usl players to step up
System is the star
Long is like a new signing

What am I forgetting?

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

What am I forgetting?

Red Bull gives you win(g)s?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Metro dummy

Metro dummy

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Red Bulls soccer, the joke is on us.

At the start of the season, there should be a 1 to 10 rating servey about how Thelwell and the team did to put a good soccer team together.  So far I'm giving the a 3.

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

I went back through MF pages from last offseason - below is when player threads were started, while I didn't open each thread, I would think the thread start date is close to the date of a first solid rumor. 

Haksa - Thread started 1/5/2021

Harper - Thread started 1/15/2021

Reyes - Thread started 1/16/2021

Edwards - Thread started 1/20/2021

Fabio - Thread started 2/5/2021 

Wiki - Thread started 1/25/21

Junior Adamu - Thread started 1/28/2021

Coronel - Thread started 1/30/2021

Estrella - Thread Started 2/9/2021

Diarra - Thread started 2/25/2021

Gutman - Thread started 3/10/2021

Klimala - Thread started 4/1/2021

Forget about the earlier MLS season start for a minute, and we should expect to see some movement very soon. 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

At the start of the season, there should be a 1 to 10 rating servey about how Thelwell and the team did to put a good soccer team together.  So far I'm giving the a 3.

It would certainly be interesting to see a beginning, mid season, and end of season poll on the main page.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

I went back through MF pages from last offseason - below is when player threads were started, while I didn't open each thread, I would think the thread start date is close to the date of a first solid rumor. 

Haksa - Thread started 1/5/2021

Harper - Thread started 1/15/2021

Reyes - Thread started 1/16/2021

Edwards - Thread started 1/20/2021

Fabio - Thread started 2/5/2021 

Wiki - Thread started 1/25/21

Junior Adamu - Thread started 1/28/2021

Coronel - Thread started 1/30/2021

Estrella - Thread Started 2/9/2021

Diarra - Thread started 2/25/2021

Gutman - Thread started 3/10/2021

Klimala - Thread started 4/1/2021

Forget about the earlier MLS season start for a minute, and we should expect to see some movement very soon. 

I see one game changer on that list (Coronel), and he took a while to get going. 0 outfield game changers*. We'll undoubtedly get some more players in before competitive games start, but anyone that will immediately make us significantly better than last season, let alone good enough to help us win MLS Cup? I'll believe it when I see it.

*maybe Reyes if you're generous, but he took a long time too; maybe Klimala if your baseline is Barlow, which it shouldn't be

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

The longer it takes the higher the bar gets raised for acceptable transfers. If Thelwell found a game-changing attacking mid who he expects to be a team leader for the next 4 seasons and it's going to take a few weeks to get the paperwork along the finish line? Fine. If the delay is to bring in some lukewarm addition on loan? Bring out the pitchforks. 

Bjorn The Bear

Bjorn The Bear

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Supports:RBNY - Nets - USMNT

orlando city just signed taxi forchinakis (sp?) better teammate ercan kara

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users