122 replies to this topic

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,602 posts
  • Supports:Metro

We can't judge this deal until we see how Tyler performs in Germany.  If he balls out and becomes a fixture in their lineup and moves for 20-30 million on his next move?  Awesome, we got 10-13 million for him.  If he struggles and ends up spending his life on loan before free transfer?  We got totally hosed.

3m is hilariously low for a full time NT member, 19 years old, and a plug/play option for Leipzig.  We need him to ball the fuck out over there.

#RedBullOut

elf

elf

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,427 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

With This signing it made me think of something...

So if RB Leipzig and NYRB works with synergy, why can't NYRB and the actual Energy Drink RedBull work together? Can't NYRB they just go around the salary cap and or Fifa fair play rules by signing players to a low wage to stay under the salary cap but after signing him or at the end of his time playing with RedBull sign him to a huge RedBull energy advertising endorsement deal?

Like say for instance getting a guy like Macnelly Torres and since he's without a club and has no agent he could be a easy sign. And then sign him to say 100k... Then after he signs the deal and or even completed the deal or retired or whatever RedBull sign him for an endorsement deal for say 4-5 million

MLS approves all contracts

DP3

DP3

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Fulham

We can't judge this deal until we see how Tyler performs in Germany.  If he balls out and becomes a fixture in their lineup and moves for 20-30 million on his next move?  Awesome, we got 10-13 million for him.  If he struggles and ends up spending his life on loan before free transfer?  We got totally hosed.

3m is hilariously low for a full time NT member, 19 years old, and a plug/play option for Leipzig.  We need him to ball the fuck out over there.

If he flames out doesn't that mean a low transfer fee is even more justifiable in hindsight?

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,655 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

So if RB Leipzig and NYRB works with synergy, why can't NYRB and the actual Energy Drink RedBull work together? Can't NYRB they just go around the salary cap and or Fifa fair play rules by signing players to a low wage to stay under the salary cap but after signing him or at the end of his time playing with RedBull sign him to a huge RedBull energy advertising endorsement deal?

Like say for instance getting a guy like Macnelly Torres and since he's without a club and has no agent he could be a easy sign. And then sign him to say 100k... Then after he signs the deal and or even completed the deal or retired or whatever RedBull sign him for an endorsement deal for say 4-5 million

This already happens at most MLS clubs to some extent, but in a single entity structure what makes you think MLS would allow such blatant bypassing of the salary cap?

Not to mention this would involve Red Bull being willing to see their out-of-pocket expenses skyrocket. I know you've always got your eyes on some $50M transfer fees but that just ain't happenin.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,602 posts

If he flames out doesn't that mean a low transfer fee is even more justifiable in hindsight?

For Leipzig maybe, not for us.   For us, we're just losing probably our best and brightest prospect.  A transfer fee is in part paying for lost potential for a player of his age at our club.  

Think everyone can agree this is Red Bull attempting to lowball us for Adams and the league stepping in and saying "no".  They were (per reports) only trying to pay $750,000 for him.  Arguing that they had no intention of ever being forced to invest more money locally.  $3m is still low, but this could actually turn into a good bit of business for NY if he's sold at a high price at a later date.

And more importantly, RB would have to spend that money in NY on infrastructure, the academy or for a DP.

#RedBullOut

CurbYourNewUrbanism

CurbYourNewUrbanism

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Arsenal

This would almost certainly be a CBA violation. I know that the NFL CBA has an explicit provision against this and I'm sure the MLS does too.

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Totally correct for judging based on the outcome. More transfers should be like this if teams are rational, but that's not the market that exists out there. 3M seems a bit low as you also say, in terms of both current ability and potential.

Wonder if the RB connection has made other teams step back and not make an actual market value offer - Tyler is a legit contender for being a world-class defensive mid in a couple of years, with upside for even more than that offensively. Surely a Prem team would love to pay more than 3M for that potential and stash him on loan like they do with a ton of other players?

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,139 posts

So if the max to spend on players is 750K, and we hit it with the 3M sale, doesn't it make sense to sell twice -- and get 750K twice?

I understand that the $ over 750K could be spent on infrastructure, but you're essentially betting that you will get that down the line when he is re-sold.

(Of course, MLS rules change every year*, so who knows.)

*To help Seattle and Atlanta.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,655 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Think everyone can agree this is Red Bull attempting to lowball us for Adams and the league stepping in and saying "no".  They were (per reports) only trying to pay $750,000 for him.  Arguing that they had no intention of ever being forced to invest more money locally.  $3m is still low, but this could actually turn into a good bit of business for NY if he's sold at a high price at a later date.

Were there actually credible reports of this or just speculation? I saw some Twitter chatter about it from Paul Tenorio but that was just him spitballing. News about all this has been tough to come by, pretty much just seen the clearly incorrect BILD article and then the quotes directly from NYRB.

So if the max to spend on players is 750K, and we hit it with the 3M sale, doesn't it make sense to sell twice -- and get 750K twice?

I understand that the $ over 750K could be spent on infrastructure, but you're essentially betting that you will get that down the line when he is re-sold.

That'd be awesome but I can't imagine a world where MLS let's us double dip on the allocation like that. 

At this point we can at least dispel any notion that all Red Bull teams are just pulling from the same bank account. 

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

(Of course, MLS rules change every year*, so who knows.)

*To help Seattle and Atlanta.

*Don't forget LA...

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

rhactl7

rhactl7

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

Feeling really good about this move. If Adams is successful at Leipzig, it will only be another reason for Red Bull to keep pumping money into our academies to produce more players like him.

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, MUFC, NYRB

Really, fuck these Oil Rich motherfuckers. Almost $600 million on 4 PSG players? Thats like 3 Red Bull Arenas. While it sucks to be named after an energy drink, at least Red Bull make their money through capitalism albeit with some sustainability issues.

Cant understand how people can root for these teams. Qatar is on par with Saudi Arabia as par as human right violations go and the world just watches.

Preeeee h!!

I try have have non accusatory conversations with people about psg / City football group. Some are willing to hear me out some dismiss me as jealous since I support metro. I dont care, its a fucking disgrace those people.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,602 posts

Feeling really good about this move. If Adams is successful at Leipzig, it will only be another reason for Red Bull to keep pumping money into our academies to produce more players like him.

I think there's a caveat here that they'll do that only if they feel they can extract value from it.  This is a litmus test for them, no question.  But this could end up horrible for us if there's some sort of contract dispute or the new manager doesn't rate him and he's buried on the bench.

It's a gamble, no two ways about it.  I'd feel a lot better if we just sold Tyler for 8 straight up to another club and had that up front.  If we lose our best prospect for 3m, it'll go down as one of the worst outgoing transfers in our history.

Shit, we got 10 for Jozy in 08!

#RedBullOut

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,240 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

we got 10 for Jozy in 06!

6.5M euros.
https://www.transfer...s/spieler/39378
Euro was $1.26 in 2006.
https://www.statista...-exchange-rate/

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,602 posts

https://www.transfer...s/spieler/39378
Euro was $1.26 in 2006.
https://www.statista...-exchange-rate/

Edit:  That's because it was 2008 when the transfer happened.  Error on my part.

#RedBullOut

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users