RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Miazga to Fiorentina? 

Chelski asking $22M?   Can't imagine.   If that holds, Long's number goes way up.   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

supposedly turned them away https://www.espn.com...rs-for-uss-long

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

If Long does ultimately go, its encouraging from Red Bulls that the priority is having him stick out the season and try to win here. Same thing with Adams.

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT
I cant imagine he will be here next year. Given his age, the club will have to sell either this summer or over the winter to maximize any fee it will get. In light of that, a summer sale with a loan back to RBNY, or a winter sale, is fine by me.

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

I cant imagine he will be here next year. Given his age, the club will have to sell either this summer or over the winter to maximize any fee it will get. In light of that, a summer sale with a loan back to RBNY, or a winter sale, is fine by me.

I feel the same way.

I don't want this to be a club that stifles the ambitions of its players. If he has a chance to play in the Premier League, and he can go at a time that allows us to find a replacement, then I wish him well.

As a general club rule, I'd make it clear to any players joining the club that they won't be allowed to leave in the summer under any circumstances. Winter, feel free; summer, absolutely not.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

I love how this is completely fine and "inevitable", but if this was RB Leipzig who wanted him, people would be freaking out.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

I feel the same way.

I don't want this to be a club that stifles the ambitions of its players. If he has a chance to play in the Premier League, and he can go at a time that allows us to find a replacement, then I wish him well.

As a general club rule, I'd make it clear to any players joining the club that they won't be allowed to leave in the summer under any circumstances. Winter, feel free; summer, absolutely not.

This approach totally makes sense from the club's perspective, but is not at all great for the player.

Euro teams usually look for full time solutions in their offseason. The winter window is generally for desperate moves/impact additions, so the demand for players is significantly lower. It's not like a Prem team looking to sign Long now will wait for him for 4 months until January; they'll just sign another guy.

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

This approach totally makes sense from the club's perspective, but is not at all great for the player.

Euro teams usually look for full time solutions in their offseason. The winter window is generally for desperate moves/impact additions, so the demand for players is significantly lower. It's not like a Prem team looking to sign Long now will wait for him for 4 months until January; they'll just sign another guy.

Agreed. And placing any sort of restriction on future transfers automatically moves us from a very attractive place to play and develop, to the bottom of the list. 

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Agreed. And placing any sort of restriction on future transfers automatically moves us from a very attractive place to play and develop, to the bottom of the list. 

I don't agree for a bunch of reasons, but primary among them is that it's good to be honest. If you don't plan on selling integral players in the summer, tell guys that when they come in so they get less upset if and when a summer move is rejected.

I'm not saying this is the case, but if Long has an expectation that he'll be sold in the event of Euro interest, regardless of the window, and he doesn't get sold this summer, he's going to be a miserable bastard for the rest of the season. That's not good for anyone.

Telling prospective signings that you're open to winter sales is better than most teams in MLS anyway, so I don't think it would have much of an effect, if any, on player recruitment.

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT

If we had any CB depth, I would even be okay with a summer sale.  I think we could make due with a Parker-Tarek tandem, but there's nobody, and I mean NOBODY, behind them.  The drop off is so steep.  Nealis has looked okay at times, but, more often than not, he's been terrible.  I think with more seasoning he can be a solid squad player, but he is not there yet.

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

I don't agree for a bunch of reasons, but primary among them is that it's good to be honest. If you don't plan on selling integral players in the summer, tell guys that when they come in so they get less upset if and when a summer move is rejected.

I'm not saying this is the case, but if Long has an expectation that he'll be sold in the event of Euro interest, regardless of the window, and he doesn't get sold this summer, he's going to be a miserable bastard for the rest of the season. That's not good for anyone.

Telling prospective signings that you're open to winter sales is better than most teams in MLS anyway, so I don't think it would have much of an effect, if any, on player recruitment.

Totally fair. Im not arguing that they shouldnt be honest and transparent. I, of course, want them to conduct their business with players ethically and in good faith. However, fundamentally I think they should be open to transfers in both the summer and winter for many reasons, the optic to potential acquisitions being one of them. Hence, they need not have any sort of policy regarding seasonal transfers.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Giving players a heads-up is nice, of course, but it doesn't change the underlying dynamic at all. If a Prem move is available now, and it might not be in 4 months, that doesn't really do Long any good at all in the present.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

I love how this is completely fine and "inevitable", but if this was RB Leipzig who wanted him, people would be freaking out.

No one is fine with it happening mid season, but  unlike with Adams, we would at least  be sufficiently compensated

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

SoapyDish

SoapyDish

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Arsenal

Honestly if I'm Long I don't see much reason to leave. Good pay, plays for a consistent top 5 MLS team, is a top 5 defender in the league, lives in/near New York, #2 USMNT CB, potential captain going into WC 2022, only real competition to the #2 spot if Miazga, even then who knows with Brook's injury history.

Not to mention he's 26 and any suitor would prolly expect immediate impact, and his career could nosedive if he didn't. But he's good enough for the PL honestly, just hope he doesn't leave for our sake.

CurbYourNewUrbanism

CurbYourNewUrbanism

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Arsenal
A chance to play in the Premier League? Id assume thats a dream for any player.

He can come back to MLS whenever he wants so theres really no downside for him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users