45 replies to this topic

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

I share your concerns. I just wish someone was asking them these questions and putting them in the hot seat.

Unfortunately we probably won't get those answers since soccer media is non-existent here in the area.

ESCfanatic279

ESCfanatic279

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Supports:METRO USMNT

Unfortunately we probably won't get those answers since soccer media is non-existent here in the area.

Well if we had another town hall, we can get some questions answered. But it would take a Petke like firing type of decision from the front office to elicit a response which would cause the team to need a town hall. Granted that first town hall was a shit show and I personally was responsible for some of that and I wish that wasn't the case looking back. But werent we promised in 2015 semi annual town halls going forward but we only had 2 since the January 2015 town hall. Its 2019. Maybe we can get a town hall if we keep calling up the front office.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

What we need is an in depth interview with Hamlett asking for answers to the issues you are raising. I.e., we fell short of our goals in 2018, what is the organization doing to change that in 2019? Why don't we use the 3rd DP? Many believe our RW to be our weakest link, how are you addressing that? Etc. etc, etc...

That would be helpful and productive from a fan's point of view. If they are satisfied with the roster except for a minor tweak or two, they should be asked to explain why.

Ehh, it would be nice to know the actual thoughts/plans of the people in charge, but I question the actual value delivered by public statements, whether in a town hall or interviews. There are usually a lot of platitudes and aspirational statements, but rarely much substance. And on the rare occasions when they are earnest/honest (e.g. "this is an energy drink!"), it often backfires spectacularly. You also don't want to tip your hand to potential trade partners.

For example, I bet that the answers to the last 2 of your 3 questions would be "we believe in the guys we have here and that they can develop and be better with more training and experience under their belt, but we are also always looking to improve the roster with external moves, whether through the RB network (Royer/Rza) or other alternatives, both internationally and within the league (Sacha/Kaku/Parker)". Asked and answered, no real new information. :)

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Ehh, it would be nice to know the actual thoughts/plans of the people in charge, but I question the actual value delivered by public statements, whether in a town hall or interviews. There are usually a lot of platitudes and aspirational statements, but rarely much substance. And on the rare occasions when they are earnest/honest (e.g. "this is an energy drink!"), it often backfires spectacularly. You also don't want to tip your hand to potential trade partners.

For example, I bet that the answers to the last 2 of your 3 questions would be "we believe in the guys we have here and that they can develop and be better with more training and experience under their belt, but we are also always looking to improve the roster with external moves, whether through the RB network (Royer/Rza) or other alternatives, both internationally and within the league (Sacha/Kaku/Parker)". Asked and answered, no real new information. :)

Just a minor note: Royer was not a RB player. He played for Ried and Austria Vienna.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,065 posts

When there are enough reporters on the beat they develop "sources" that allow them to provide a backdrop that "frames" the answers. 

Part of the value of asking the questions is not the answer you get but the heat it puts under them, especially if they were over evasive.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Just a minor note: Royer was not a RB player. He played for Ried and Austria Vienna.

Agreed, but surely our Austrian connections/sources helped identify him, if not with the actual acquisition.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

soccer media is non-existent ... in the area

Perhaps some insight as to why:
https://deadspin.com...nBEaGk2Y1hyV1c.

https://www.google.c...-1830548206/amp

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

Imagine being such an asshat that someone literally writes a 3,000 word article on how much of an asshat you are.

The more disturbing thing to me is the lack of pay for sportswriters. In a world where everyone is an amateur blogger and the only measurement is clicks, how do they make a living?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

The more disturbing thing to me is the lack of pay for sportswriters. In a world where everyone is an amateur blogger and the only measurement is clicks, how do they make a living?

As a Journalism grad, with friends who actually spent careers in the business, the short answer is that they don't.    Those jobs never paid well, and its been a total bloodbath for a while now.

FT_18.07.30_NewspaperDecline_newspaper-n

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

CurbYourNewUrbanism

CurbYourNewUrbanism

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Arsenal

The Athletic seems to have been a big boon to sports journalism. I've been very happy with my subscription. I wonder how much their writers get paid. It must not be too awful given how many respected writers they've poached from major publications.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

The Athletic seems to have been a big boon to sports journalism. I've been very happy with my subscription. I wonder how much their writers get paid. It must not be too awful given how many respected writers they've poached from major publications.

Even The Athletic doesn't pay all of its writers, although I think most are salaried to some extent. There's just too much competition in that job market, too many kids coming out of college with the dream of working in sports. 

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, NYK, NYM, NYR, NYJ

Even The Athletic doesn't pay all of its writers, although I think most are salaried to some extent. There's just too much competition in that job market, too many kids coming out of college with the dream of working in sports. 

Yup. You can also see if you ever come across analytics job postings from pro teams. I remember reading one the Mets had posted a while back and skill set they were looking for was easily worth 3x what they were offering given the NYC market. And that was probably a comparatively good offer for the industry given how many of them are part time jobs or internships.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts

Even The Athletic doesn't pay all of its writers, although I think most are salaried to some extent. 

If only there was a way to find out more about this!
https://awfulannounc...in-company.html

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

honestly i am surprised how good their MLS coverage is given how new they are.  Got my first year 50% off so its a no brainer at 2.50 per month.  Curious how coverage will be in their first full season.  Really happy Dyer is on a better platform for his work though, works hard for us.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

There's teams without TV deals. MLS is bush league and soccer is a niche still.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users