390 replies to this topic

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
If a USA youth goes to europe i think its best that they go to belgium or holland first. I was very critical of miazga when he went abroad to england. It was obvious that he would not get playing time with chelsea but he managed to secure playing time with vitesse last season and this season.

To play in the better leagues, they need to be close to a starter or they will get replaced with a more complete foreign import.

Plus, Red Bull has been the only club that has consistently produced usmnt players. If adams stays a year or two... it wouldnt be the end of the world. He just cant get too comfortable and should always be challenging himself to be the best.

Super Metro

Super Metro

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars 4Ever, USA National Team
Yes but I also feel that anyone not named pulisic would have sucked that night. It's that feeling you get that the attitude came from the coaching staff, you know the "take it easy, we're in, don't risk too much" approach. That killed us.
Metro/Red Bull
4 Ever

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

Yes but I also feel that anyone not named pulisic would have sucked that night. It's that feeling you get that the attitude came from the coaching staff, you know the "take it easy, we're in, don't risk too much" approach. That killed us.

It's too much to expect of Arena to make such significant changes since taking over. With that said a few tweaks here and there and we are EASILY going to Russia. Most notably - put anyone, including Guzan, at goal that night, and we are winning this contest 1:0. Howard played like utter garbage in MLS the entire year. I mean he was probably the worst starting GK in the entire League, absolutely pathetic. His performance on the night was not bad luck, but a fair culmination of entire year's atrocious body of work. On the first goal, he looked like a HS rookie. Looking up then jumping way ahead and then falling backwards into the net like a complete doofus, honestly I don't remember seeing anything like it. And second goal - reacting to a near midfield shot after it was already essentially in the net. I thought Robles did a poor job against Toronto having his worst day of the season, but even on the worst day he would not allow these two goals. Of course we are changing the guard now big time, but changing the guard at GK for this team should have happened a year ago. That's the #1 reason why we will not be headed to Russia next year.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

miazga ... managed to secure playing time with vitesse last season and this season.

Looks like Matt played in 23 of 34 league matches plus 6 cup games in 16-17, and all 11 league matches so far this season.
https://en.m.wikiped...iki/Matt_Miazga
Can not believe that he idolizes Rafa.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

If i remember right he wasn't playing alot when he got there but became a huge piece for them towards the end of the season. Saw their fans were really happy when it was announced he was going on loan to them again.

magicmoron

magicmoron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats

If a USA youth goes to europe i think its best that they go to belgium or holland first. I was very critical of miazga when he went abroad to england. It was obvious that he would not get playing time with chelsea but he managed to secure playing time with vitesse last season and this season.

To play in the better leagues, they need to be close to a starter or they will get replaced with a more complete foreign import.

Plus, Red Bull has been the only club that has consistently produced usmnt players. If adams stays a year or two... it wouldnt be the end of the world. He just cant get too comfortable and should always be challenging himself to be the best.

This may be the problem...

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres

I think you are giving the players a pass. Bad coaching is bad coaching but coaches don't play the game. The terrible play is all on those players.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Exactly.  We are basically the only club to actually develop and play young american players.  But I also understand that coaches and front office people are judged by wins on the field, not what they produce for the national team.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Plus, Red Bull has been the only club that has consistently produced usmnt players....

Not lately, not for a while.   Back in the day, when the Metro area was the fertile crescent of USA soccer, yes.    But now we can see that happen again as we FINALLY have a generation of kids coming up, thanks to the last 10 years of academy investment, who are willing and able to bypass college and go straight to the pros.   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
The problem with us developing all this talent is that thanks to the insane MLS rules we didn't get to reap the full rewards of doing so. When Ajax develop a player and sell him to say Chelsea they get the money they can use to invest in strengthening their squad. In MLS the league gets the money and only gives a fraction of it back to us. Word is that this will be changing somewhat, but not before we have already been repeatedly screwed by the current system.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

I think you are giving the players a pass. Bad coaching is bad coaching but coaches don't play the game. The terrible play is all on those players.

The problem is that the coach put one of the worst if not the worst starting 2017 MLS GKs in that game and a bunch of old tired from the game a few days back players to play in physically demanding conditions. Basically not only poor tactical coaching but more importantly not putting the best the country had to offer on that day. Arena just blew it. As bad as JK was sometimes, I just don't see him making these silly mistakes.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

The problem is that the coach put one of the worst if not the worst starting 2017 MLS GKs in that game and a bunch of old tired from the game a few days back players to play in physically demanding conditions. Basically not only poor tactical coaching but more importantly not putting the best the country had to offer on that day. Arena just blew it. As bad as JK was sometimes, I just don't see him making these silly mistakes.

It was friggen T&T.    We should have been able to send out a C squad with any high school coach on the sideline and won.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
Howard was past his prime but he's probably the greatest player in American soccer history. It backfired but I understand why Arena went with him with the money on the line. And to say he was the worst keeper in MLS last year is just ridiculous. He's not what he once was but he's still better than a lot of guys in MLS.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
There were SO MANY THINGS that went wrong that night. Poor coaching, poor performances, poor field conditions, a freak own goal, a freak 30 yard blast, not one but TWO results not going our way, a goal in one of those results that wasnt even a goal! The list goes on and on.

To blame it on just one thing is ridiculous.

That being said...if ONE thing had been better were probably going to Russia.

So sure if theres a better GK in there were probably going to Russia. I said earlier that if Adams had played wed probably be going to Russia but Ill take that a step further and say that had DAX played were probably going to Russia. The worst thing IMO was the lack of urgency/energy/passion on the field that day. Adams or Dax would have brought that.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Howard was past his prime but he's probably the greatest player in American soccer history. It backfired but I understand why Arena went with him with the money on the line. And to say he was the worst keeper in MLS last year is just ridiculous. He's not what he once was but he's still better than a lot of guys in MLS.

We are going to have to disagree on that one. He was absolutely pathetic in MLS this year - if you actually watched him play and was a shell of his former self. His back-up in Colorado was better than him by quite a bit. You do not put a player on the field based on reputation. That's one thing JK did well. When Howard wasn't performing, he would bring Guzan to start. When Guzan slowed and Howard was back from hiatus and got back in shape, he put him back. Howard played like utter garbage all year long. There is absolutely no way he should have been a starter for the National Team, even though in the past he may have been one of the greatest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users