irishstevenj

irishstevenj

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Huh?  So Alex Muyl makes Best XI?

You're missing my point. I'm saying A member of an MLS Cup winning team would immediately at least be in the conversation for greatest/most important player in club history.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

You're missing my point. I'm saying A member of an MLS Cup winning team would immediately at least be in the conversation for greatest/most important player in club history.

ok... somehow I didn't equate  "is going to trump Mathis, JPA, Thierry... everyone"  with  "at least be in the conversation."

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT
Where does Robles go in the all time great list?

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,232 posts

Henry goes to midfield. Lindpere bumped.

Lindpere might get bumped for Sacha soon anyway...

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

Van den Bergh used to be in there too, no?

sic transit gloria mundi

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,232 posts

sic transit gloria mundi

Tim Howard was too, for longer than a decade...

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

sic transit gloria mundi

Nice problems to have

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Pebble

Pebble

insightful, deep and most creative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,467 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Rangers FC, #RedBullOut

Jhonny Walker didn't bump him for those shots he saved...?

#RedBullOut

Thursday, November 27, 2008 -

After another Hatch shank over the crossbar...
"And Hatch wonders why nobody is covering him." - Tony Meola

Metro4LIFE

Metro4LIFE

Electron Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,421 posts
  • Interests:Metro, Graffiti, Art, Hookers

I guess it all depends what your criteria is: stats, importance, talent, leadership,etc.

While BWP has been tremendous for us, I think he could've been replaced. He's much more of a beneficiary to a system than him putting the team on his back and carrying them. Its not to say he isn't important and hasn't taken full advantage of his role. But people like Henry, Mathis, JPA are on another level. Even if the stats dont agree, the way they got those goals and assist has to count. 

There's no way I pick BWP if Im building an ALL-Time Best XI over any of the previous 3 mentioned. I mean 2000 Mathis alone is 2x the player, never mind Henry and JPA. I would put BWP more in the Gio Savarese category where he performed, was important to us, racked up goals, was a fan favorite, but in terms of best XI is always going to be eclipsed by brighter stars.

Soy Del Metrooooo, Del Metro soy yoooooooo!

FootballClubMaps.com :: High Quality Football Posters from around the globe. Get yours today!

MetroCab

MetroCab

Brilliant!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts

The Ultimate Scoring Machine sets another record - most goals over a 3 season period.

BiffDiBeppo

BiffDiBeppo

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Supports:Metros

My Best Metros**

1. TH14

2. JPA

3. BWP* 

4. Amado

5. Clint

6. Dax* 

7. Tab 

8. Petke 

9. Robles*  

10. Sacha*  

Others receiving votes: Meola, Lindpere, Djorkaeff, Lisi, Woly, Lloyd, Dane, Jolly, Howard, Cahill (ugh), Olave

Guys who might have been had they stuck around longer: Ream, Miazga, Jozy, Agudelo, Buddle, Gaven, Magee, Parke. Van den Bergh, Pope, Peguy 

Beloved guys who made the most of their talent: Parke, Mendes, Stammler, Jonny Steele, Solli 

Good players who were not at their best for us: Chung, Brad Davis, Moreno, Lalas....

If they stay around another few seasons, Grella and Felipe could be on that list. 

*obviously can increase over time. I fully expect BWP to overtake all but TH14 who IMO is just in another pantheon of greatness that I suspet we shall not see again for a long time. I expect Dax and Sacha could very well be club legends by the end and Dax is already high up that list based on games played and consistency, leadership.  

**in terms of what they mean to the club and their performance for the club, not based on talent or pedigree....

BiffDiBeppo

BiffDiBeppo

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Supports:Metros

Regarding BWP generally speaking, I think because of the way he came to us (as an unheraled midseason pickup with a more famous sibling who didn't find success right away) coupled with the fact that his exploits during his record breaking season were both downplayed by and largely ascribed to Henry, BWP is vastly underrated as a player. Throw in his occasional streakiness and his sort of laconic and understated, unassuming demeanor (and that he perpetually looks sort of bummed out in an endearing sort of way) which compounds the matter.  I have spent a lot of time this past year really focusing on just about everything he does and he is an exceptional player and criminally underappreciated. I love JPA very much and think he was a tremendous signing as an initial DP but see very little separating him from BWP other than that he was a little better in the air and in the free kick department. More than anything, I just think JPA looks like the kind of quintessential 9 you'd want to build your team around. He was fiery and exuded class and charisma which along with his on field contributions redound to his benefit on his side of the ledger in comparision. In contrast, BWP has the body language and gait of an adorable kid who seems like he might be off in his head somewhere or wishing he were somewhere else. [I still crack up when I think about his appearance on Seeing Red a few years back where he seemed to enjoy napping and maybe had to borrow someone's cell phone to dial in...like Sekagya's kid had to bring the phone over to him? I could be getting fuzzy]. 

*He has an excellent touch and is among our best players with the ball at his feet, able to hold the ball up in traffic and maintain possession. 

*He is tireless up front and as a slightly undersized forward capable of playing the 9 (along with ss or a false 9) he battles very well in the air and wins his fair share of headers/flicks. 

*He is a very good passer of the ball and his offensive contributions post-Henry have seen an increase in his assists and changes created as he can drop deeper to pick up the ball as a sort of hub, allowing Sacha, Grella, Lloyd (:-() et al to run off of him....

*He is the point of our high press defense which is a big part of our success the past two seasons.

*He is able to score in any variety of ways and is instinctive in front of goal and also poised.  

The TL;DR version: I think he is a more versatile player than JPA and than he is given credit for and should and will go down as among the greatest non TH14 Red Bulls ever. 

Mouth of Sauron

Mouth of Sauron

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Interests:My master's bidding
  • Supports:Sauron

“Listen, this is not taking anything away from Thierry, and obviously Thierry’s the biggest name to ever play here, and is one of the best players,'' Marsch said, "but I think Brad is emerging himself as the best Red Bull player, the best New York MetroStars player, or whatever you’d want to call it. He’s the best player to ever play here.

"I think he came here to play here with Thierry, and he’s now the new Thierry – or he’s re-written the books to be the new Thierry,” Marsch said. “We’re really lucky to have him.”

http://www.mlssoccer...d-hed-be-great?

Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me? Or indeed with wit to understand me?

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,517 posts

As others have already mentioned here, have to disagree with Marsch.  BWP can have the best career ever here, but he's not the best player who's been here.  And even BWP would say that.  Not because he's just being nice either.

Others who are more familiar with Mathis seem to say the same about him, but I can't speak on that because I didn't see every game he played in while with Thierry I have.

And I still maintain that Sacha is our most valuable player even this year.

blank25

blank25

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Supports:red bulls

T. Henry best offensive player ever. BWP 2nd best followed by JPA & then Amado. Sacha best # 10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users