Photo

S8OT :: CONFERENCE FINAL @ Columbus (BUS)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
359 replies to this topic

#1 BenBurton

BenBurton

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,904 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:48 AM

EDIT WITH NEW INFO

Posted Image

Pre-confirmations have us at nearly a full bus already. Price should be around $50 each for transport and match ticket. Ticket only options to be determined Full info and payment soon. Please see the most recent posts for additional information, and watch the main site at http://www.section8chicago.com.

---- ---- ---- ----

Some of you probably remember that we had to cancel one of our two buses to KC for our second trip there. Canceling the second KC bus shouldn't have happened.

One of the reasons is that the Fire owe us some money for ticket commissions this year but they've withheld it all season long. They're upset about broken benches because they're so expensive to replace. To the best of my knowledge, what's going to happen regarding this money hasn't been decided yet, but since the money has been held up, we've been running on reserves.

I'm really proud that we've been as financially sound as we've been, but this situation really has held us back. We were very short on large Tifo displays this year, we haven't been able to replace or repair some banners and flags that really do need some TLC, we had to cancel a bus, all things that indirectly hurt the team on the field. We haven't even begun to worry about replacing the Megabandera, another expense that the Fire has agreed to cover, although that hasn't happened yet either.

The bottom line is that if we're going to run a bus to Columbus, it has to be a bus that is not subsidized. That means 50 seats sold at probably $60-$70 a seat, depending on ticket costs.

Can we get 50 for a Thursday night game? Can we get people willing to chip in to subsidize the costs? This is going to be a trip that requires immediate action, no procrastination. Are people ready to try?

#2 BallsDeepFC

BallsDeepFC

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Supports:FIRE-BDFC 2004-9-SOCO WARRIORS 2009

Posted 23 October 2008 - 08:56 AM

I'll commit as soon as I get the word. Are we sure the game is going to be on a thursday? I can do it if we're back by friday morning ( i dont expect this to be a problem)

#3 dpm

dpm

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Supports:chicago fire

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:19 AM

If there is a game and a bus, I'm in. If there is a game and no bus, well... I have a car and I know where Columbus lives.

#4 rednow.red4ever

rednow.red4ever

First Team

• PipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • Supports:The Mighty Reds of the Windy City

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:21 AM

If there is a game and a bus, I'm in. If there is a game and no bus, well... I have a car and I know where Columbus lives.

Indeed.
Our friends will never walk alone.

#5 Section 8 El Guapo

Section 8 El Guapo

Player/Manager

• S8 Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts
  • Interests:Chicago Fire...Beer....Women....Beer....Section 8....Beer....Women.....New England Sucks......Beer....Duck Fallas....Beer.....
  • Supports:Your mom at Polkatz

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:29 AM

50 bucks to watch my beloved Fire beat the crap out of Columbus they head off to the championship?

Worth every penny of it!!!
WB05

UNA VIDA...UNA MUERTE...UN CLUB

#6 kornkid15

kornkid15

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts
  • Supports:Fire

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:32 AM

I'm in.

#7 giaco

giaco

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,079 posts
  • Interests:Chicago Fire, Tottenham Hotspur F.C., Guiness, and a lot of other things.
  • Supports:Chicago Fire

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:56 AM

As you know, I will not be here for this, and I don't have much, but I am willing to donate whatever I can to assist this effort--money, PB & J sammiches, beers--whatever, let's just make this happen!

#8 BenBurton

BenBurton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,904 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:00 AM

50 bucks to watch my beloved Fire beat the crap out of Columbus they head off to the championship?

Worth every penny of it!!!

No dummy, $60 if 50 people go. And that depends on the cost of playoff tickets.

#9 Section8

Section8

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:29 AM

One of the reasons is that the Fire owe us some money for ticket commissions this year but they've withheld it all season long. They're upset about broken benches because they're so expensive to replace. To the best of my knowledge, what's going to happen regarding this money hasn't been decided yet, but since the money has been held up, we've been running on reserves.

It's important to point out the 'commission' has been in place since 2004 and has never been contingent on stadium damages or anything else. This is a very consequential sum that has has impeded our abilities to conduct both supporter and charitable activities this year. The Fire also has not indicated to us what the bench damage costs are.

It's also important to emphasize we EARNED this money, it is not a grant or subsidy. It is ours. We promoted the sales of season tickets this past year based on this return to the ISA. This is a percentage of ticket sales (season tickets and gameday) that we promote as being partially beneficial to the ISA to support what we do. Also, it's worthwhile to mention the Fire already reneged on extending the 'commission' to 117 even though we also promote ticket sales in that section as well; while the damaged benches have nearly all been in 117, a section the Fire still does not acknowledge our control over and whose benches have not been reinforced like the ones in 118.

#10 Nudles23

Nudles23

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 866 posts
  • Supports:FIRE

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:37 AM

It's important to point out the 'commission' has been in place since 2004 and has never been contingent on stadium damages or anything else. This is a very consequential sum that has has impeded our abilities to conduct both supporter and charitable activities this year. The Fire also has not indicated to us what the bench damage costs are.

It's also important to emphasize we EARNED this money, it is not a grant or subsidy. It is ours. We promoted the sales of season tickets this past year based on this return to the ISA. This is a percentage of ticket sales (season tickets and gameday) that we promote as being partially beneficial to the ISA to support what we do. Also, it's worthwhile to mention the Fire already reneged on extending the 'commission' to 117 even though we also promote ticket sales in that section as well; while the damaged benches have nearly all been in 117, a section the Fire still does not acknowledge our control over and whose benches have not been reinforced like the ones in 118.

It might not be a bad time, especially if you haven't renewed your season tickets and sit in 117 and 118, to call or write to your rep and tell them you bought season tickets with understanding that your purchase was going to support the section. The reps don't control the money, but if enough people are complaining to them about it, it will be passed up...especially if their renewals are down.

#11 khaugen

khaugen

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Supports:CHICAGO FIRE

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:28 PM

Katie and Suzie are down for bus or driving.
There's no such thing as a bad beer, only some are better than others. -Ben Burton

#12 BenBurton

BenBurton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,904 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:34 PM

Well yes, we're in a shit spot. We squeaked out the season with only one major fuck up (canceled KC bus) but we're just at the end of the season and the end of the money. We had budgeted properly but now we're close to dry. We'll make do as we did all season. I'm impressed we're not in the red like years past because this is a big hole in our budget.

Thanks to everyone for buying merch. :cheers:

The Fire are having internal discussions on the issue and I'm sure it'll get resolved. New President, new people, new attitude. There's no reason to "panic" about it just yet. It's just a reality we need to solve and I don't feel like we'll have a resolution in time for the Columbus game.

We just need to be realistic and admit that we're in a shit spot right now. If we want to support the team on the road in the playoffs, it's going to take the old school method of digging out the coins from your couch, begging for that $10 someone owes you, lending a hand however possible, and not waiting until the last minute because the ISA fronted the money.

#13 AcmeComics

AcmeComics

Player/Manager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,436 posts
  • Interests:Tiki mugs, exotic meats and cheeses, comic books, lego, lounge music, robots, vampires, kung fu movies, kaiju non-sense, 50's sci-fi art....you know the usual stuff.
  • Supports:Fire, Bayern, DFB, Arsenal

Posted 23 October 2008 - 01:46 PM

Thanks to everyone for buying merch. :cheers:

Now get out and buy some more. Buy a scarf for everyone on your Christmas list.

Is this game a Thursday?
you can't give the cow away and expect the last person to buy it back for you

#14 Marcin

Marcin

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts
  • Supports:Chicago Fire

Posted 23 October 2008 - 02:49 PM

No, please don't ask people to buy more merchandise. Ask them to sell it!!! Tonight will be a great night to do it because of a kickoff delay and cool, crisp weather. Unfortunately, I am tied with other things before the match and have to leave right after the final whistle to buy tickets to New England. But I am sure there should be at least 10 people willing to help. Please sell as much of this stuff as you can. You'll help the section a lot more than buying.

Also, you are assuming too much with this trip. I still believe the only trip we make in the Conference Final is to Toyota Park. Mark my words.

#15 jogadubwise

jogadubwise

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts
  • Supports:Fire, Liverpool

Posted 23 October 2008 - 03:38 PM

I think I would be in for this. My first road trip, too.
QUOTE (chicubfan @ May 29 2009, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I interned in the FO for a little while and trust me they are so dumb had they payed off the refs they probably would have presented them one of those huge checks during halftime on the field.

QUOTE (joey @ Oct 8 2009, 07:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
halloween specific stadium.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users