#1 31Charlie

31Charlie

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Supports:L.A. Galaxy

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:11 PM

Hey guys I just joined a 11v11 P&R league mid-season. I haven't played in years...probably 10. I went out and bought all my gear but the first game didnt go so well.

First Im outta shape...really bad. I lasted about 15 minutes and have been sore ever since.

Second my feet got tore up, I think my feet sweat too much and so they slide around inside the shoe giving me blisters. Also my leg is pretty bad from sliding. I just wore the long socks over the shin guard and tapped them both above and below, but I used some cheap tape so the still slide down whenever I tackled someone.

Like I said its been a while so should I be wearing a second set of socks...like just a small pair just enough to cover my feet? Also is there a way to keep my shinguards up and stop my leg from getting scrapped up, or some kind of protection to wear underneath? Maybe I am sliding wrong? I know this is all basic stuff....but that is where I am at...the basics. I was horrible on the field, affraid to head the ball, awkward, no good touches at all. Pretty embarrassing overall.

#2 Zero Cool

Zero Cool

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts
  • Interests:Football
  • Supports:Google+

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:51 PM

As a morbidly obese man getting in shape to start playing football again let me give you some advice

Hop on a Treadmill between matches if you can. If you're already out of shape your legs will not get match fit playing 20 minutes a weekend. If you can get to a gym or know someone who has a treadmill or a bike (I'd say do treadmill personally) do it.

As far as your feet hurting are concerned, make sure your boots are the proper size. That much weight (no offense) on tight boots will be felt a whole lot more. Pick up those Dr. Scholls foot gel things that you can put inside your boots. I wear a size 15 and I haven't been able to find ones those size yet, it seems the largest size is a 13 (That I've found), but you should be able to find anything lower than that at a local supermarket.

Stay hydrated. Because you're overweight you'll sweat that water out with a quickness and you're body will feel it. So if you've gotta grab a bit of water between plays just do it.

That's all i can help with. Keep playing though.
Zero Cool winner of the 2012 ALMOST Goal of the Year
Isaac: So when I told you guys we were on it, I meant to say we're on the motherfucker, go back in there and relax...

#3 DirtyDefender

DirtyDefender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,059 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, US, Newcastle, England

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:00 PM

1. Put on a good thick pair of full length sweat socks, then your shin guards on top of those, then the thin soccer socks. This will keep your feet blistering and stop your shin guards from sliding around.

2. Stop sliding. You're no damn good to your team if your on the ground, even if you do get the ball, and if you miss the ball, you might as well not even be on the field. Sliding at the recreational level is highly discouraged by referees anyway, so you're probably running the risk of getting a red card, and then you really won't be on the field.

3. Get a soccer bungee ball like this one: Soccer Bungee ball, and go out by yourself once a week, and just practice kicking the ball with both feet, using as many different kicking styles as you know. This will help build up your leg muxcles.

4. Practice juggling once a week. Start with trying to get 3 touches, then set a goal of 10 touches. In a month or two, you'll be doing 50 to 100, no problem. This will help you control bouncing balls.

5. Buy a set of cones, and practice dribbling through them. Also practice step overs and change of direction moves while you're at it.

6. Go back and read articles on coaching young players basic skills. Since you are having to re-teach your body these basic motor skills, you might as well get it right.

But most of all - Just Keep Playing!

#4 31Charlie

31Charlie

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Supports:L.A. Galaxy

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:53 PM

Lol, thanks for the response, I'll keep you updated on how I do. As for the sliding, part, they usually aren't tackles per se, I guess I just wanted to sound bad ass. Its usually to try and block crosses after I get beat. Ill work on all that stuff, especially the running. I had started like a week before the match, but that obviously didn't do much. I'm hoping I wont be sore after next week (especially cause I think I will get even less playing time this week) so I will be able to run more during the week.

-31C

#5 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,115 posts
  • Interests:THE 5 STAGES OF LARS MEMBERSHIP
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    ::: Greenwood FC :::
    --------------------
  • Supports:Pints of Jamesons

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:49 PM

I'm not sure you said you were morbidly obese, but Zero Cool sure penciled you in as such...

The right shoes and the right socks is 90% of not fucking up your feet... Don't skimp on socks or shoes. Get real leather for the boots. Cheap ill-fitting socks will mean bad painful blisters. I'm a fan of layers of thin socks.

A lot of good shin guards for adults include a heel stirrup you can velcro the bottom of the shin guard to and a velcro strap at the top which allows you to pull a full size sock over it and have it stay well in place. I also have used what's known as a compression sleeve to hold shin guards firmly in place.

Are you off in timbuktoo or here in LA?

If you are nearby, try to hook up with some of the pickup games around town. They are good runs, great for getting in shape and the people are pretty good. Usually.

There is one in Long Beach on Friday, one on Sunday morning in the valley, and one on Tuesday in La Mirada or some place.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#6 Zero Cool

Zero Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:26 PM

Hmm...I didn't call him morbidly obese...I said I was...but its cool just keep being a dick

Obey Buck
Isaac: So when I told you guys we were on it, I meant to say we're on the motherfucker, go back in there and relax...

#7 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,115 posts
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    --------------------

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:32 PM

Hmm...I didn't call him morbidly obese...I said I was...but its cool just keep being a dick

Obey Buck

Not to put too fine a point on it, but you called him obese. Dick.

EDIT: You said "That much weight (no offense) " to the guy, presuming he is fat. What a dick!
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#8 Caasi Gohd

Caasi Gohd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,780 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Pachuca

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:59 PM

I like to buy my boots 1/2 a size or 1 size smaller when possible. Then I wear double socks, so my feet are nice and snug in there.

Get tight long socks as well. They'll help lock your shin guards in place.

#9 Zero Cool

Zero Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 11:08 PM

HE'S the one who said he was outta shape and bad, if you know someone at an ideal weight who's also out of shape badly you let me know

DICK!

#10 MisterA in the 626

MisterA in the 626

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Liverpool

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:43 PM

Treadmills are so 1982. Bad for the knees. You're going to fuck them up as it is. Ellipticals are the way to go for low-impact conditioning for those of us already with bad knees.

100% agree with the leather boots. When I went kangaroo my feet felt so much better. Get them a little snug and a good leather will conform to your feet. If you have wide feet like I do I've always found that Kelme or Puma are the way to go. Nike has never been friendly to the large gentleman.

I do a thin sock coupled with a thicker sock and a compression sleeve to hold the shinguards in place. There are a lot of socks on the market that are thick in the feet and thinner in the calf area so you aren't packing massive thickness there.

#11 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,115 posts
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    --------------------

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:46 PM

HE'S the one who said he was outta shape and bad, if you know someone at an ideal weight who's also out of shape badly you let me know

DICK!

Yours truly. DICK!
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------

#12 prrnrngr

prrnrngr

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts
  • Interests:The LA galaxy, The Sox, The DC5
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, Boston Red Sox

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:48 PM

Posted Image
My shinguards. Use electrical tape (matching your team colors of course), or athletic tape to hold them in place. One thin soccer sock, a good pair of cleats, and you're set.

#13 tracer

tracer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts
  • Interests:Galaxy, m. utd, dodgers, teaching, more dodgers...more galaxy...chickens
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, Dodgers, Man Utd, USMNT

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:08 AM

Yours truly. DICK!

Posted Image

Team Tucker: You might be cool, but I am ZERO cool.  Foo

#14 fredo9

fredo9

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts
  • Interests:The Beautiful Game & Ugly Tales
  • Supports:GALAXY!

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:35 AM

I was horrible on the field, affraid to head the ball, awkward, no good touches at all. Pretty embarrassing overall.

Sounds like my game. But, I can still beat my 9 year old son 1 v 1. Once I put orthotics in my boots my shin splints disappeared. Keep Running!
"That's life." -Bruce Arena

"There's no easy games in The MLS." -Robbie Keane

See You Later, My Friend!

#15 Coveen

Coveen

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Supports:L.A. Galaxy / U.S.M.N.T. / CWSC

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:59 PM

more info on the la mirada pick up? did i miss the thread?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users