27 replies to this topic

Calcio20

Calcio20

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars FC Juve USMNT

OK Im a working class guy who pays his taxes and Gives back to the local's I love my team this is true as all who know me. PM me and we can chat about other concerns dear to my heart besides your so called soda soccer team.
1.My Union hall has many blood drives a year. Contact me . Blood is Blood.
2. We are allways looking for people to donate time for habitate for humanity.
3.Also and this is bad on me for not bringing this up with the ESC we are always collecting needed items for our men and women overseas.

RBNY 4 LIFE

RBNY 4 LIFE

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 983 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Chelsea
I apologize to Metrologist for putting him in the same category as Harraby because you aren't the same...but I still think you should find a better way to spend your free time. I hate Philly sports but you wouldn't find me spending any of my time on their site ripping them because that is kind of retarded if you ask me. I don't know how old you guys are, but it seems childish in my opinion. And if you aren't a fan of the RB, or Metrostars, or Cosmos...you seem to be a man without a team in the NY area. Which is fine, but why not look elsewhere then and put your energy into rooting for them? You say just because you keep tabs on MLS that's a good thing when you spew negativity towards the local team on their own message board?? I believe that most of us are here because we like the team. We just like soccer, watching it live in our backyard, and rooting for the players...I know I do and could careless what the hell is on the jersey. After all, it's not like there are robots out there playing. It is fun to root for the team playing despite what you think the company's motives are.

I just see it like this...in your eyes RB will never win. If they didn't spend on a new arena or buy the DPs then they don't care about soccer and just wanted their name on the shirts. Now they bought the arena and paid the DPs but it's still all about the drink rather than any team because stars bring exposure. And knowing that's how both of you feel...why bother coming back. We know how you feel, we heard you loud and clear, why rephrase it over and over again? We believe you when you said it a long time ago. If that's how you feel, that's fine...I won't try to change it. Why do you feel the need to try to convince us your thoughts are how everyone else should think. I know Harraby likes to get a rise out of people and it is kind of comical...but you aren't too far behind after coming out after thursdays loss to rub salt in the wound.

Harraby Lad

Harraby Lad

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,604 posts
  • Supports:several real football clubs

We just like soccer, watching it live in our backyard, and rooting for the players...I know I do and could careless what the hell is on the jersey. After all, it's not like there are robots out there playing. It is fun to root for the team playing despite what you think the company's motives are.

We know how you feel, we heard you loud and clear, why rephrase it over and over again? We believe you when you said it a long time ago. If that's how you feel, that's fine...I won't try to change it.

I'm glad you enjoy going to the game, I do too.

I'm used to a different kind of interaction with my football club. Obviously that's because I was born and raised in England.

I'm not knocking you or others who attend, I am just pointing out that there is a lot more that you can get out of supporting a football club, and while the local team is named after a soft drink, I feel that you and others will never develop that REAL connection. If you don't need it, then that's cool too.

Not everyone has to share my views !!

That's my opinion and that's what these boards are for.
Master of Karate and Friendship for everyone.

onionsack

onionsack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,385 posts
  • Supports:New York Cosmos

, signing 2 players still in their prime from Barcelona

Marquez and Henry are certianly NOT in their prime, if they were neither would be here right now.
RED BULL OUT!!! - True Soccer fans in NY since 2006

metros11

metros11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,405 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Only it's not "bitching and moaning." It's putting across a perspective that's different from yours, and the majority of the people here, apparently.

"bitching and moaning" = 'putting across a perspective that's different from yours' over and over and over and over...

"What better way for DC United fans to drown their sorrows than with this new beer called 'The Tradition'.  A relic name of a bygone era where DCU was relevant." - VfLKirwan

DHatch

DHatch

Site Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,048 posts
  • Supports:Mighty Metros

Marquez and Henry are certianly NOT in their prime, if they were neither would be here right now.

Ok i typed it up quickly...but that i meant still able to play and contribute at a high level in any league in the world.

ilikebeet

ilikebeet

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts
  • Supports:NYC Bars

Ok i typed it up quickly...but that i meant still able to play and contribute at a high level in any league in the world.

except la liga...

Let's face it, we had a good season but it wasn't because of any new dp's.

Look at the more successful MLS teams this season and see how their dp's stack up in terms of quantity, "on field" quality, and "off field" quality(selling power).

Now let's compare jersey sales.

Brand recognition (of RBNY) is ranked higher than MLS success.

Ask a random on the street and they will tell you the only US team (outside of USMNT) they can think of is either RBNY (Henry) or LA Galaxy (Beckham). Now ask them to name a recent MLS cup winner.

This being said, I WOULD FUCKING LOVE for brand recognition and MLS success to overlap, but you cant force it and skip key steps like we are trying to do. We just create a grandiose sense of entitlement as money and time get thrown away rotating out aging stars.

I truly look forward to the academy products of the future, and wish we spent as much money and effort developing them as we do excusing under-performing dinosaurs.
I shall write my life as if it was a love story. For who is to say it is not? It began with a love of football, and it will end the same.
-Puskas

Stop slobbing Euro nob.
-Matrim55

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,825 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

you are the only one who keeps writing ... as if it were a real issue. There might be a name for the condition you have ... just not sure what this called yet.

Formerly, it was known as HarrabyLad Syndrome.
It's been recently renamed to HarrabyLLG Syndrome.
I'm not sure what change prompted the new appellation.
Symptoms include:
being apoplectic about the name of the club, while ignoring the fact that the Kit Sponsor's name on your favorite team's jersey is 3 times the size of the team crest or shield,
seeming unawareness of the fact that merchandising is the sine qua non of any successful sports team (this appears to require recognition that one's childhood team has achieved limited success, on or off the field), and that buyers are more concerned about whose name is on the back of the jersey, than the club name on the front
http://www.soccerpub...showtopic=39365
http://www.soccerpub...showtopic=39382,
denial of the fact that the English League in now the Barclays Premiership, and that stands, if not entire stadiums, are now named or renamed after sponsors,
running a business where you advertise & sell kits based on players' names, more than the team,
etc.
I, myself, suffer from MRA (Metro Renaming Anxiety). Others have recovered from this disorder, I have not found a cure yet.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,825 posts

Metrologist and Harraby, I'm not even sure why you bother to come around here.

There's also HVAC = Harraby Virtual Anger Complex, where virtually anything someone else posts here enrages you. While there may not be a cure, this complex can be managed by ignoring Harraby's posts or ameliorated by replying with less invective.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,825 posts

almost no one outside the hardcore takes this undignified experiment seriously.

IMO, it's the opposite. Hardcore soccer fans are the only ones seriously upset with rebranding clubs & teams after products or businesses. The average fan is not all that serious, and seems content at worst, happy at best, with whatever name the team has. After all, it's not like MLS has been around for a century. The teams names are not legendary. Many MLS clubs have changed their names. Others have names that are ridiculous on their face. Italian basketball has a longer history than professional soccer in the USA, and many teams are renamed regularly, when their ownership or sponsorship changes. So, while the words Red Bull stick in my throat whenever I try to say them, I know that I get a blank look from most people when I tell them that I support the Metros.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,825 posts

I'm used to a different kind of interaction with my football club. Obviously that's because I was born and raised in England.

That's somewhat elitist. I know Scottish, Irish, European & South American fans who have a lifelong interraction with their club, which often exceeds that of English fans. Are you a member of the New York Carlisle fan club? Is there one? I know people who belong to social clubs here, linked to their foreign club. People who hold voting memberships in Spanish & South American clubs. Do its fans elect CUFC's president? There are plenty of younger people in England who wouldn't get overly excited if their club was renamed, unless told to by their daddies. The hidebound approach to sport by pundits and so-called experts has hurt the sport in England IMO.

LI Matt

LI Matt

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
  • Supports:Spurs, Roma, Real

Big Expensive Stars wearing the brand do more for RB here and worldwide than would the next Javi Morales or David Ferreira - so Big Expensive Stars are who you're going to get.

*cough*JoelLindpere*cough*

ilikebeet

ilikebeet

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts
  • Supports:NYC Bars

*cough*JoelLindpere*cough*

How many Lindpere shirts were sold compared to Henry?

Which player has more job security here?
I shall write my life as if it was a love story. For who is to say it is not? It began with a love of football, and it will end the same.
-Puskas

Stop slobbing Euro nob.
-Matrim55

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users