106 replies to this topic

irishapple21

irishapple21

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts
  • Supports:My local MLS team
The problem is that the league is outgrowing many of the mechanisms they used in the past for survival. At this point, the league is clearly growing and in no danger of collapse, so we don't need stupidity like "allocation orders" or "discovery players" anymore. At the next owner-operators' meeting, these things should be dealt with.

Loyal supporter of the 2013 and 2015 MLS Champions: RBNY/Metro

gears

gears

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts
Robles still a possibility, according to Goff, though someone else in MLS is interested.

Steven Goff @SoccerInsider
German-based USA GK Luis Robles & #MLS in talks. Might land w/Red Bulls, after all. Subject to allocation, though. 1 other in mls interested

Besides Red Bulls & other #MLS side, Robles (Karlsruhe) also attracting interest elsewhere in Europe. Wants to return to States, however

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,311 posts

Robles still a possibility, according to Goff, though someone else in MLS is interested.

German-based USA GK Luis Robles & #MLS in talks. Might land w/Red Bulls, after all. Subject to allocation, though. 1 other in mls interested

Besides Red Bulls & other #MLS side, Robles (Karlsruhe) also attracting interest elsewhere in Europe. Wants to return to States, however

I'm sure it's some dick like C-bus trying to squeeze out some chump change. I say let them pick up Robles and then stiff them by bnot going through with a trade. Would serve them right.

Could be that homewrecker Nowak as they are shorthanded at GK as well.

Hutskizzle

Hutskizzle

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

I'm sure it's some dick like C-bus trying to squeeze out some chump change. I say let them pick up Robles and then stiff them by bnot going through with a trade. Would serve them right.

Could be that homewrecker Nowak as they are shorthanded at GK as well.

if memory serves me correct both C-Bus and Philly are below us in the returning USMNT player allocation or whatever it's called these days

Mike
Petke
Fever
Catch It.

Did I Do That?

Did I Do That?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • Interests:Liberating small towns from anti-dancing legislation.
  • Supports:An ever expanding stomach

whatever it's called these days

7 Minutes in Heaven with Uncle Donny.
  • What's stucco?

• What happens when you step in bubblegummo.

Rooney22

Rooney22

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,993 posts
  • Supports:The Mighty Fucking Metro
Training camp is almost over. Let him go somewhere else. He can'e be that much of an upgrade between Vulo and Meara.

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro
At this point I wish we would have kept Sutton. In FiFa 12 our GK situation is really bad with the new update.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,464 posts
  • Supports:Metro

if you think Sutton was a terrible GK then wait till you see Luis Robles in action

bump

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,537 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Jeez!  Sutton was 8W-4L-6T in 18 games for us, with a 1.04 GA & 6 shutouts!

Fact is, this franchise has been blessed with great goalies.  Luis is the latest!

BTW, none of our goalies has ever won more than 2 playoff games for us. 

Let's hope Luis adds at least 3 to his pair this year, with the last in the MLS Cup final 2 RBA!

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,693 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

bump

Around June this year Elf had Convey better than Grella, and Mix better than Dax....  trying to remember when my opinion on Grella changed to the positive, but I never had him worse than Convey.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,229 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

So... I actually know and grew up with Robles. And the first thing I did when I saw his name linked to RBNY was "Oh shit, please no, don't bring him here..."

His shakiness has always been an issue - I was a goalkeeper for the same club, only two playing years his junior, and I STILL remember the day, 10ish years ago when he was dropped from the roster of a major college showcase tournament and they brought me up to play with the bigger boys because Robles had a confidence crisis or something.

Basically, I see Robles as being twice as aggressive as Sutton with half the acrobatic ability of Bouna (and worse positioning, which makes him LOOK more acrobatic than he needs to be). He IS (if I remember correctly) relatively skilled at taking away 1 on 1 type situations (and watching those youtube highlights confirms). But he's just not very good with his hands (or wasn't). I don't remember his GK taking abilities, but I mean, most 16 year old girls that play for top clubs take better GKs than Bouna did, so anything there will be an improvement.

The one other thing I remember, but I'm guessing/hoping that has changed with his age, is that he was kind of a hard guy to get along with (but that may have also been b/c he didn't like me as a younger rival).

Oh, and if for whatever reason we bring him in within the next week, it means he'll be cutting his teeth playing for a home crowd in Tucson, which will of course probably help his confidence greatly (until his first screwup).

so yeah, I knew the guy growing up and haven't seen him in 10 years, so take this with a grain of salt, but I don't really want him on the team. And maybe that's just because I'm bitter that he made it to the professional level whereas I missed out.

I can't help but LOL at this. Bet this guy can't sleep at night very well.

Joe x Joe

Joe x Joe

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

We have some really dumb fans.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,252 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Anyone who claims to have predicted that Robles would become as good as he has is lying out of their ass. Even his first few months he was a great shot stopper so shaky in every other aspect of goalkeeping. It wasn't until about the middle of 2013 that he really settled in and started playing mistake free games consistently.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,693 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Anyone who claims to have predicted that Robles would become as good as he has is lying out of their ass. Even his first few months he was a great shot stopper so shaky in every other aspect of goalkeeping. It wasn't until about the middle of 2013 that he really settled in and started playing mistake free games consistently.

What I saw, and might have even stated at the time, was that he always learned from his mistakes and showed progress.   Guys like Bouna never seemed to improve (how could it be so difficult to learn how to take a damn goal kick?????).  Even when he was a fright show coming off the line,  and terrible with distribution,  he worked on and fixed his mistakes, bit by bit, and very rarely regressed. That's why I have always(IIRC) been positive about him.  Great natural physical ability, combined with a willingness and ability to learn,  indicated for me nothing but upside.   I think he's put on about 10 pounds of muscle, too.  That second stop against Portland was very much about pure strength, keeping that ball from going over the line as Borchers was on it

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,452 posts
  • Interests:Candy Crush
  • Supports:Los Red Bull de Nueva York

http://www.empireofs...breaking-38829/

O Wind,
If Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users