http://www.mlssoccer...eattle-incident

UpstateFan

UpstateFan

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls
Absolutely bonkers punishment. A fine would get the point across just fine. Does anyone actually think Clark called him that because he thinks the boy is a homosexual and wanted to insult his sexual orientation?

JayJeeMoNee

JayJeeMoNee

"JonnyG"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,378 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, USA, Everton, Barca

Absolutely bonkers punishment. A fine would get the point across just fine. Does anyone actually think Clark called him that because he thinks the boy is a homosexual and wanted to insult his sexual orientation?

That isn't so much the point as the league making a strong statement against discriminatory language, as they should. But looking at it from a non-PR POV, I completely agree -- a fine would have been just.....fine. I think the diversity training thing is BS.

Follow me and my RBNY fandom on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/JayJeeMoNee

"Forget returning to the Metrostars; we should be called FC Revolving Door and be done with it." - Voice of Reason II

"The plus side of watching this team for so long is that nothing remotely surprises me anymore. Henry could have taken his shorts off and cocksmacked someone to earn a red, and all I would have said is "That's so Metro." - Regulator

"In between soccer games this weekend, I played 36 holes of golf with my dad. Playing golf, I realized, is a bit like watching the Red Bulls play. Both can have the tendency to feel like self-inflicted torture. You wonder why you do it at all. But when it’s over, you can’t wait to do it again. To New England we go, then." - Andrew Keh

"In the Church they say that suffering is good for the soul. I like to view my love for this team as being a spiritual exercise." - Steve B2

Quema

Quema

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ

Does anyone actually think Clark called him that because he thinks the boy is a homosexual and wanted to insult his sexual orientation?

I don't think anyone thinks that, but I also don't think that's even remotely the point.
First of all, why is he calling a CHILD a f**cking anything? MLS cannot possibly condone its employees using any sort of abusive language towards children.
Beyond that, does anyone actually think that calling a child a f***ot, regardless of the child's actual sexual orientation, is acceptable behavior?

Given the widespread view of professional sports as decidedly intolerant of homosexuality, MLS is clearly trying to show that they are not intolerant by using Clark's actions to set an example. I don't really have a problem with that. Setting aside the fact that the target of his verbal abuse was a kid, his words are just not acceptable. There are undoubtedly people involved in MLS--be it players, coaches, training staff, referees, nutrionists, whatever--that are gay, and MLS has an obligation to ensure a tolerant work environment for all of its employees.

This is slightly off the point, but considering that the two biggest taboos in sports are homosexuality and mental illness, and that homosexual and mentally ill people are much more likely to attempt or commit suicide than other people, and that at least 11 current or former soccer players have killed themselves within the last three years, I will applaud anything MLS does or attempts to do that will help reduce those taboos within the league and hopefully within the league's audience.

gears

gears

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

If he didn't go over & apologize to the ball boy at the next break in play, everything else is bullshit.

He did, apparently. He made the initial mistake of cursing the kid, but I applaud him for immediately recognizing the problem and doing his best to make up for it.

“He knew he said something wrong, but he didn’t wait for someone to tell him to go apologize. No, he went to the kid immediately and apologized to him,” Cameron continued. “I hope people look at that because it was one of those things that he regrets and we support him as a team.”

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,740 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

He did, apparently. He made the initial mistake of cursing the kid, but I applaud him for immediately recognizing the problem and doing his best to make up for it.
“He knew he said something wrong, but he didn’t wait for someone to tell him to go apologize. No, he went to the kid immediately and apologized to him,” Cameron continued. “I hope people look at that because it was one of those things that he regrets and we support him as a team.”

If there is some video, showing that he went over to the ball boy, and the kid confirms that there was an apology, there should be no suspension.
Does the league actually mandate any training about a prohibition on verbal abuse, to players & staff?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,482 posts
  • Supports:1pct Derby
Fine and suspension... ok, setting an example.

Diversity training? I'm sorry, but I don't feel this is necessary. Is going to a class going to change his mind or what he said? What's the point of this?
"If they asked me to go back to the academy and coach the U-14s (I would have). I care about this club. It was never false, it always rings true.’" - Red Bull New York Head Coach Michael Petke

GMoney

GMoney

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Did he. Cameron is sticking up for his teammate. Did Clark actually say he went right over?

Some folks really make me laugh. It's OK to put down some groups, right? Others, not so much? If Clark had called a black ballboy a bad name, would anybody be sticking up for him? I think not.

People are funny.

Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts
  • Supports:USMNT, Metro, NotRedBull

Fine and suspension... ok, setting an example.

Diversity training? I'm sorry, but I don't feel this is necessary. Is going to a class going to change his mind or what he said? What's the point of this?

Probably not, but it does show that the company itself is actively taking steps to combat this and thus could not be considered to be fostering an atmosphere of discriminatory behavoir. Basically it's a CYA to prevent lawsuits that most companies would implement

BlancDaBody

BlancDaBody

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Coventry City, USMNT

True. Kobe said the same shit, and just got fined. Clark is probably worse for the wear because he said it to a kid and not to an opposing player under the "heat of the game". It's much tougher to explain something like that away.
"I'm Thierry Henry, BITCH!"
"I'M STRONG!" - Thierry Henry

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,482 posts
  • Supports:1pct Derby

True. Kobe said the same shit, and just got fined. Clark is probably worse for the wear because he said it to a kid and not to an opposing player under the "heat of the game". It's much tougher to explain something like that away.

I think the fact that it was a kid is the main difference here.
"If they asked me to go back to the academy and coach the U-14s (I would have). I care about this club. It was never false, it always rings true.’" - Red Bull New York Head Coach Michael Petke

betoAYAK

betoAYAK

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,232 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Barca, Millonarios, Jesters
I lol'ed.
You're a fucking monkey.
QUOTE (NittanyMetros @ Mar 17 2011, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It seems Philly fans have signed up on metrofanatic to vote for themselves (in 'What team do you hate more?') . No real fan of this team would vote anything other than DC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users