• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts
Can someone explain to me why Conde is considered glass by some people? I look at his history and the only injury of note seems to be the one last year.

I follow far more physical sports than soccer and essentially anyone can be injured once in their career. The guys who have real injury issues tend to get injured throughout their career and with Conde only really being injured once, that typically says that the player will be OK.

The instep surgery is not a common injury but it also doesn't involve muscle or ligament damage as far as I know and that is usually the key aspect.

Earlier in the year I seen people like Ives going on and on about him having to stay healthy when it appears as though he's been healthy his entire career with the exception of this past year.

And the dude is a beast so hopefully he does stay healthy the entire year. And for anyone who watched the game live, they should have also been able to tell that the guy is a great leader too. Didn't count on that.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,623 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Can someone explain to me why Conde is considered glass by some people? I look at his history and the only injury of note seems to be the one last year.

I follow far more physical sports than soccer and essentially anyone can be injured once in their career. The guys who have real injury issues tend to get injured throughout their career and with Conde only really being injured once, that typically says that the player will be OK.

The instep surgery is not a common injury but it also doesn't involve muscle or ligament damage as far as I know and that is usually the key aspect.

Earlier in the year I seen people like Ives going on and on about him having to stay healthy when it appears as though he's been healthy his entire career with the exception of this past year.

And the dude is a beast so hopefully he does stay healthy the entire year. And for anyone who watched the game live, they should have also been able to tell that the guy is a great leader too. Didn't count on that.

Don't jinx him!

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

I don't care about NYCFC or the Cosmos.  I only care about Metro.  So MOTHERFUCK those two teams.

Hutskizzle

Hutskizzle

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

You basically answered your own question. Ives and everyone else realized how much this basically was a coup for NY and needed something negative to write instead

The way I see it: JCO was able to bring him to MLS (to Chicago) because his club in Colombia needed money, so they sold him on the cheap (for around $200-300K i believe). Came to MLS. Conquered for 4 seasons, and went to get paid in Mexico with Atlas. Had a decent season cut short bc of injury. While hurt, the manager that brought him to Atlas got fired. The new manager only saw him as injured, so brought in his "own" centerbacks and was basically forced out. So much so Wilman and Atlas agreed to terminate his contract. Comes back to MLS and will conquer once again.

Honestly, if any other team in MLS signed Conde, their manager and GM would be praised and pretty given the award for best GM/manager in the league for 2012 during the preseason. If you ask anyone in Chicago, they would love, absolutely LOVE to have him back. But since it's NY we're talking about, "it's a massive risk and omg Wilman is like totally injured all the time lolol stupid NY!!!"

Mike
Petke
Fever
Catch It.

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts

You basically answered your own question. Ives and everyone else realized how much this basically was a coup for NY and needed something negative to write instead

The way I see it: JCO was able to bring him to MLS (to Chicago) because his club in Colombia needed money, so they sold him on the cheap (for around $200-300K i believe). Came to MLS. Conquered for 4 seasons, and went to get paid in Mexico with Atlas. Had a decent season cut short bc of injury. While hurt, the manager that brought him to Atlas got fired. The new manager only saw him as injured, so brought in his "own" centerbacks and was basically forced out. So much so Wilman and Atlas agreed to terminate his contract. Comes back to MLS and will conquer once again.

Honestly, if any other team in MLS signed Conde, their manager and GM would be praised and pretty given the award for best GM/manager in the league for 2012 during the preseason. If you ask anyone in Chicago, they would love, absolutely LOVE to have him back. But since it's NY we're talking about, "it's a massive risk and omg Wilman is like totally injured all the time lolol stupid NY!!!"

That's exactly what it feels like but I figured to ask just because I assumed I was missing something. After watching a lot of different sports as closely as you can, one thing I've determined is that any player can get injured once. Typically those who are injury prone show a tendency and pattern of getting injured. Conde has shown no tendency to get injured so I really don't get the suggestion by some that he's going to be a problem in that regard.

That said, I hope I'm not proven wrong and he has some more bad luck, but historically speaking, Conde has shown enough reason to believe that he's not going to be a huge health issue. HOpe it works out too because you have a beast at center back who could end up staying there for quite a few years considering he's 29 right now.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

If you ask anyone in Chicago, they would love, absolutely LOVE to have him back. But since it's NY we're talking about, "it's a massive risk and omg Wilman is like totally injured all the time lolol stupid NY!!!"

Sounds like the posters on MF. :unsure: :lol:

Hutskizzle

Hutskizzle

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

That's exactly what it feels like but I figured to ask just because I assumed I was missing something. After watching a lot of different sports as closely as you can, one thing I've determined is that any player can get injured once. Typically those who are injury prone show a tendency and pattern of getting injured. Conde has shown no tendency to get injured so I really don't get the suggestion by some that he's going to be a problem in that regard.

That said, I hope I'm not proven wrong and he has some more bad luck, but historically speaking, Conde has shown enough reason to believe that he's not going to be a huge health issue. HOpe it works out too because you have a beast at center back who could end up staying there for quite a few years considering he's 29 right now.

He'll have a fantastic season, and then miss a game and Ives will pounce on it with 200 "LOL TOLD U SO!! IM IVES!!" tweets

Seems like you're new to MLS/Red Bull. Everyone in the media hates us. Gotta get used to it if you're gonna be here for the long haul lol

Mike
Petke
Fever
Catch It.

Hutskizzle

Hutskizzle

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts
Adding to this soon to be split topic: Cooper

Everyone hated this trade with Portland. UNTIL they realized A) He's basically here on loan for the season. If we sign him for 2013 and on ONLY then would we have to pay Portland. B) He's another player that fits into our system and is already paying massive dividends as you can see

But at the time of the trade, everyone said that a player that couldn't make it in Europe and had a "terrible" 8 goal season with Portland at age 26 was totally passed his prime. :rolleyes:

Mike
Petke
Fever
Catch It.

MikeV

MikeV

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,485 posts
  • Supports:Metros

But at the time of the trade, everyone said that a player that couldn't make it in Europe and had a "terrible" 8 goal season with Portland at age 26 was totally passed his prime. :rolleyes:

I don't remember anyone saying this and if they did it was a small minority. I remember most opinions ranging from "he's cheap, why not" to "great signing!"

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts
I get it.

As for being a fan, I jumped on during the whole Henry being brought here thing. Then from watching every game on TV I've graduated to being a season ticket holder this year.

As for Ives, I've actually met the guy a couple times. Once at Showboat in AC and the other being Harrahs. Now I read his stuff regularly enough to see that he likes ripping on the Bulls. Seems like he alwasy takes the optimistic point of view when it comes to the Union (despite their obvious mistakes with letting certain players go) so I'm guessing that is the team he roots for.

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts

I don't remember anyone saying this and if they did it was a small minority. I remember most opinions ranging from "he's cheap, why not" to "great signing!"

Everyone rational had those opinions on Cooper.

But there was a lot of people, especially Ives, who were extremely negative on the deal saying that Red Bulls got taken in the trade. Even considering they gave up next to nothing to get an obviously very good player.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,698 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I actually went back and checked, and the posts were surprisingly 95%+ positive. But maybe that's because I couldn't find anything from osack.
Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.
George Best, on David Beckham

Hutskizzle

Hutskizzle

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

I actually went back and checked, and the posts were surprisingly 95%+ positive.

See:

But there was a lot of people, especially Ives, who were extremely negative on the deal saying that Red Bulls got taken in the trade. Even considering they gave up next to nothing to get an obviously very good player.

I'm talking more media than MF posters. Youre right, we basically all united in love for this trade (for once!) when we all realized that we got home for nothing. Again all the media realized this too, and needed something negative to write about.

As for Ives, I've actually met the guy a couple times. Once at Showboat in AC and the other being Harrahs. Now I read his stuff regularly enough to see that he likes ripping on the Bulls. Seems like he alwasy takes the optimistic point of view when it comes to the Union (despite their obvious mistakes with letting certain players go) so I'm guessing that is the team he roots for.

Yikes. The 411 on Ives is that he was born and raised in Jersey (i believe he lives in Hoboken/Jersey City or somehwere around there but definitely in that area). Became a Metrostar/RB beat reporter for local newspapers. Realized he could be the first to start an all MLS blog on the internets and thus formed Soccer By Ives. Everyone on there bashed him for being a Red Bull fan boy. Claudio Reyna retired/JCO resigned (his BFF's), so he felt he had a bone to pick with the organization and ever since then he's trying to get away from the label of a RB fan boy. Metrostars made Ives who is today. Without OUR team he would be nowhere.

Want a few minutes of fun? Randomly call him out on Twitter. He will make it a point to stop whatever he's doing, get in a fight with you bc u called him a RB fan boy, you'll win, and then he'll say that since you have like 3 followers you're not worth his time. Good stuff!

Mike
Petke
Fever
Catch It.

Haig

Haig

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts
  • Supports:Bora Bora Metro

Adding to this soon to be split topic: Cooper

Everyone hated this trade with Portland.

Wut?

No. Reaction to that one was very positive. The one bit of discussion I remember was around whether Backe/Soler thought they were getting a big target man, which they WEREN'T. But there was remarkably uniform positivity about getting Cooper.
╔╦╗┌─┐┌┬┐┬─┐┌─┐  ╔═╗┌─┐┬─┐┌─┐┬  ┬┌─┐┬─┐
║║║├┤  │ ├┬┘│ │  ╠╣ │ │├┬┘├┤ └┐┌┘├┤ ├┬┘
╩ ╩└─┘ ┴ ┴└─└─┘  ╚  └─┘┴└─└─┘ └┘ └─┘┴└─

Hutskizzle

Hutskizzle

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Wut?

No. Reaction to that one was very positive. The one bit of discussion I remember was around whether Backe/Soler thought they were getting a big target man, which they WEREN'T. But there was remarkably uniform positivity about getting Cooper.

Mike
Petke
Fever
Catch It.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,623 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO
with respect to cooper, he was never my type of player. him being disgruntled at FCD, him failing at Oldham AFC, etc.

when he came back to MLS, I thought he wouldn't do much, and i was sorta proven right.

glad though that he's here and keeping us in the fight and doing that quite well, i might add.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

I don't care about NYCFC or the Cosmos.  I only care about Metro.  So MOTHERFUCK those two teams.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users